The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

IIRC the last time Saints played Northampton was the mid sixties, they lost 2-0 in the annual Paisley Charity Cup match.

Think Archie Gemmell suffered a broken leg in that game and missed a good part of the season 

8 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Have we not had a fair bit of Northampton Town crossover recently? I feel like Dylan Connolly went there, and had Morias not played there before us? 

Connolly didn't last long at Northampton, now at Morecambe (Robinson signed him in January). They have a few though who played in the top league up here very recently: Jon Guthrie (Livingston), Louis Aperre (Dundee Utd), Aaron McGowan and Mitch Pinnock (Killie). 

Good opposition but we should be a bit further ahead in terms of fitness. If Saints hadn't got in contact then their first, proper friendly would have been West Brom on the 13th. They're at a training camp in St Andrews this week.

25 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Connolly didn't last long at Northampton, now at Morecambe (Robinson signed him in January). They have a few though who played in the top league up here very recently: Jon Guthrie (Livingston), Louis Aperre (Dundee Utd), Aaron McGowan and Mitch Pinnock (Killie). 

Good opposition but we should be a bit further ahead in terms of fitness. If Saints hadn't got in contact then their first, proper friendly would have been West Brom on the 13th. They're at a training camp in St Andrews this week.

I'm glad they've agreed to play. Step up in quality from Hartlepool as well, so that's good.

Had a quick look at what appear to be the main Northampton and Hartley-Pool fan forums to gauge reaction. Northampton is along the lines of ‘hey, we just arranged a friendly, will likely get hammered as they’re ahead of us in preparation’. Hartley-Pool is eye-bleedingly full of wallopers gibbering pish and arguing with each other, with one voice of sanity shouted down by the wallopers. The sole voice of sanity merely stated the opinion that he understood the decision, but the way they did it makes them look amateurish. From the wallopers side, much reference to ‘jocks’ and ‘chilly jockland’ etc.

Having dipped into those forums, started to wish I’d stuck with Wimbledon, but the game they were showing involved two grunters who couldn’t hit a shot without giving it the ‘uuuuuhhhhhhhh!’ bollocks. Fcuk watching that pish.

Edited by pozbaird

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Had a quick look at what appear to be the main Northampton and Hartley-Pool fan forums to gauge reaction. Northampton is along the lines of ‘hey, we just arranged a friendly, will likely get hammered as they’re ahead of us in preparation’. Hartley-Pool is eye-bleedingly full of wallopers gibbering pish and arguing with each other, with one voice of sanity shouted down by the wallopers. The sole voice of sanity merely stated the opinion that he understood the decision, but the way they did it makes them look amateurish. From the wallopers side, much reference to ‘jocks’ and ‘chilly jockland’ etc.

Having dipped into those forums, started to wish I’d stuck with Wimbledon, but the game they were showing involved two grunters who couldn’t hit a shot without giving it the ‘uuuuuhhhhhhhh!’ bollocks. Fcuk watching that pish.

That's pretty much exactly the same as Black and White Army to be fair!

I think, from what I've read, that it's probably better that we are not playing Hartlepool now. They barely have a squad, and to be honest, looking at the signings they have made, I can see why the fans aren't exactly inspired so far. Hartley might have a bit of a job on his hands there.

Goodness sake, one of my good friends is a Northampton Town fan and I always assured him we would beat them no problem [emoji37]

It was a friendly nothing else. Both sides made multiple changes. We finished the game with a lot of young lads while the changes made Northampton better. Not too fussed with result. 

I feel the new players looked promising especially Gallagher, Ayunga and O' Hara. Ethan looked a player at last. He strolled it and never put a foot wrong or a pass. Add a bit of steel behind him and O'Hara and it looks promising. Hoping Robinson can add a couple more but the young lads will do a job. 

Just saw this Hartlepool cancellation thing.

Were there some fans booked down for a wee jolly? Shite if so.

I'd imagine if Thistle had announced a pre season friendly in a reasonably accessible north east England town there would've been keen interest.