The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm happy with that.

Find these guys in the lower leagues who you *might* sell for comparatively modest money or who might give you 2-5 good years of service at the club whilst continuing to develop youth players to sell on for the bigger money.

People will point at Robinson and say he lucked in at Motherwell by having a talented group coming through close to each other that could be sold but in all honesty, this is also the most optimistic I can remember St. Mirren being about youth prospects in a very very long time. Erhahon, Henderson, Reid, Offord and Jamieson are all first team ready or thereabouts.

We also have Luke Kenny, Fraser Taylor, Murray Campbell and Aiden Gilmartin (away to Cowdenbeath for the season) who will be knocking the door of the squad this season or next.

Not suggesting for a second all of these lads will make it or it's even an exhaustive list of who will be playing for the first team but it's quite exciting seeing so many boys coming through at the same time, particularly as it is through ability rather than necessity. 

And 2 (two) of them are actual strikers. Madness.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I’m away to watch the footage of Newton’s strike at Hampden again. Just to make sure, from the camera behind him, it didn’t actually curve wide of the post. One of these times it will go wide. I’m convinced. Three feet wide, at least. 😎

I'm more concerned that it might be flagged offside....

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

This is actually something that was quite interesting to fact check on our thread after Robinson popped up with the claim that "He has got a great ability to find to players you’ve never heard of and produce gems that have been sold on for millions of pounds" when you announced Foyle

No shade on either Robinson or Foyle but when you actually look at the money we brought in from player trading the majority of it came from Academy players rather than "gems" Foyle had discovered. Basically the only players signed when Foyle was in situ who were sold for money were Heneghan, Bowman, Kipré and Watt. Both Moult and Johnson were via our previous HoR, a guy called Gary Owers.

Anyway, none of that is a dig at either Robinson or Foyle, it's just a bit of context as to why we were actually looking at it as a point of conversation.

Les Hutchison took over in 2015 and that was the first step towards fan-ownership, so using that as a starting point here's the list of players we've sold in that period and "reported" fees (FWIW: Foyle became our HoR in August 15 and was at the club through to May 21 - albeit he'd handed in his notice earlier than that):

Hide contents

21/22 - Tony Watt (Dundee United) - £150k - Transfer
21/22 - Allan Campbell (Luton) - Undisclosed - Transfer
20/21 - David Turnbull (Celtic) - £3m - Transfer
19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) - £350k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish including sell on - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

Total = £9.09m + Campbell's 'undisclosed' fee.

Kyle Semple also moved to Rangers and for 'a five figure fee' but I've left that one off as I don't think I've seen that number anywhere else beyond Reddit and The Twitter.

Basically 8 (9 if you include Pearson) of those 15 were products of the Motherwell Academy.

Lee Erwin for £500K is the deal of the century! Kudos.

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

I'm more concerned that it might be flagged offside....

Went and checked. Definitely onside. Absolutely, 100% onside. Oh, sorry, wrong final. Offside. Definitely offside. 100%, bloke in tangerine standing on the feckin’ line FFS. Sheesh. Hate getting my winning cup final images mixed up. 😎

E35FCF0D-42C9-4711-A84C-C1CCF436278E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Went and checked. Definitely onside. Absolutely, 100% onside. Oh, sorry, wrong final. Offside. Definitely offside. 100%, bloke in tangerine standing on the feckin’ line FFS. Sheesh. Hate getting my winning cup final images mixed up. 😎

E35FCF0D-42C9-4711-A84C-C1CCF436278E.jpeg

Redford was flagged offside in the build up. 

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m away to watch the footage of Newton’s strike at Hampden again. Just to make sure, from the camera behind him, it didn’t actually curve wide of the post. One of these times it will go wide. I’m convinced. Three feet wide, at least. 😎

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I chatted to Mrs Newton (Snr) a couple of times at home games. She was a delight.  Couldn't believe I drove up from Northumberland for home games every other week.  

I agree that he's often overlooked, he was a cracking player. What a squad we had then. 

9 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I hadn't seen that, so cheers. John comes across very well, as expected.

One thing that did strike me in particular, though, is that he referred to Keith Lasley's role as 'Chief Operating Officer', which makes him a COO! Seems harsh.

I take it there is some kind of Brexit thing that means signing Aussies and Kiwis is now easier than signing players from the EU? Seems to be a quite a lot of them this summer to the league as a whole.

Ffffuuuuuuck. I'm getting really optimistic about the season ahead. this never ends well.

League is, IMO, tougher than it has been for some time. Aberdeen will be stronger but fucking boring. Hibs will be better. Livi are Livi; County will nee to adapt to losses of influential players, but we tried writing them off last season and look where it got us. Perth Saints look shite still but surely they can't be that bad again?

Despite all that, I think we're in for a good season.

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

I take it there is some kind of Brexit thing that means signing Aussies and Kiwis is now easier than signing players from the EU? Seems to be a quite a lot of them this summer to the league as a whole.

From memory, since Brexit it's easier for foreign players to move to Scotland, and it's harder for them to move to England, so smart Scottish clubs are selling themselves as a bridging point, as it'll be easier to play in England after Scotland.

Sure up here the appeals panel pretty much just say yes to anything these days.

40 minutes ago, GAD said:

@RandomGuy. has already got there but it's down to the exemptions panel being in place in Scotland.

As RG says, it's easier for foreign players to sign in Scotland than it is in England so players/agents are viewing Scottish clubs as an easier 'in' with a view to platforming them for a move on to England. We signed a Finnish international, a Norwegian, a Frenchman and an American last season.

Our HoR talked about it in an interview a while back:

“Brexit has created a really different environment to work in, especially in England, which I’ve worked mostly in. That itself would mean that if we are only able to recruit under the same rules as English clubs, we would find it a really big challenge. Where the Exemptions Panel may become a key selling point for us to foreign players is that some of them might want to play in England and we can be the vehicle to get there. 

“That certainly seems to be an attraction from speaking to agents and some of those guys don’t know at the moment that the rule is in place. They ask a question and some are surprised when we give them the answers.”

Link