The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

58 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Do you have any analytics on him? I remember a couple of Caley Thistle fans being quite impressed with him in the Championship last year, but after an initial run of games he fell out the team and ended up at Clyde. He seems to have been threatening to break in to the St Mirren first team squad for years now. 

Only from Clyde.

jamir.thumb.png.80d38ab22e35e55cadef639f57ef9016.png

Looks great considering his age tbh. The low defensive should improve as he grows physically, and the low passing ones aren't a huge worry as hes a goalscorer so he doesn't also need to be a creator, really. Hes probably fairly similar to Greive.

Kiltie has been playing pro football for 10 years and in that time has scored the grand total of 25 goals according to various websites so I fail to see how he is suddenly going to hit double figures in a single season in the top division. That's not a criticism of Kiltie, I like him a lot but I just don't expect him to get more than 5 or 6 goals although I'd love to be wrong.

Well he got five goals last season, all of them came in 2022. If he continues his form since the turn of the year into next season he will easily get double figures.
He came onto a game in January after McGrath left and he was given more minutes and more responsibility. Don’t see any reason why he can’t keep that up.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Aye, barrel-chested, all-action bustling forward. Always played well in reserve/U20 games but just not good enough for the first team. Last I heard he was at Albion Rovers but may have gone "Junior" now.

Was S Jamison not the boy from Rangers. I watched him a few times for the reserves and worked hard but seemed to not click with the rest of the team. also missed a few sitters  there was really nothing to make you think he would make it 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only from Clyde.

jamir.thumb.png.80d38ab22e35e55cadef639f57ef9016.png

Looks great considering his age tbh. The low defensive should improve as he grows physically, and the low passing ones aren't a huge worry as hes a goalscorer so he doesn't also need to be a creator, really. Hes probably fairly similar to Greive.

That’s quite impressive that you have that kind of data on a St Mirren player on loan at Clyde tbf. Do you capture the statistics manually and enter them in to the graphic or have a programme to do it for you? 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s quite impressive that you have that kind of data on a St Mirren player on loan at Clyde tbf. Do you capture the statistics manually and enter them in to the graphic or have a programme to do it for you? 

WyScout lets you downloads a leagues worth of data as an Excel sheet. I convert that data into the categories and combine multiple leagues/seasons etc., and I've a python code set up so I just type in the players name, the position they play in, and the season I want, and it generates the chart in a few seconds.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Would've loved Gogic to stay but was never particularly hopeful. He did well for us but during our stinking run after Robinson arriced,  there were a few games where I really wanted him to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Will we bring in a better player than Gogic? Probably not but you never know.

6 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Would've loved Gogic to stay but was never particularly hopeful. He did well for us but during our stinking run after Robinson arriced,  there were a few games where I really wanted him to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Will we bring in a better player than Gogic? Probably not but you never know.

Anthony O'Connor (footballer) - Wikipedia

Apparently we're interested in him.

I seem to remember him doing well at Aberdeen. Although, that was a few years ago.

8 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

They’ll often make the smallest clubs in the league favourites for relegation so putting you and Ross County in the bottom two feels about right to me.

I'd pipe down, you are about to have a season of watching Lee Hodson and Callum Waters as your full backs, Blair Alston as your midfield playmaker and Brad feckin Lyons as your only option of the bench to change things. Enjoy.

I liked Gogic, he was big, mobile, good in the air, could play a couple of positions, and he and Erhahon worked well together. He's not a great passer, but didn't really need to be for what we wanted out of him. He's not irreplaceable though, not the way someone like Ronan is. I think mid table Prem is about his level, and Dundee United are obviously able to pay a fair bit more than us, and I guess he probably has a good relationship with Ross. I think he will do well for them.

20 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Looks like we lined up 4-3-3 in both halves tonight

I could see O’Connor coming in to line up alongside Gallagher and attempting to offload one of Fraser, Shaughnessy or Dunne. 

Why would we attempt to offload Shaunghessy? 😅

Couldn't blame Gogic for going to United: back with JR who obviously likes him as well as the draw of European football.

They're also having to play catch-up with their preparations for the season ahead due to the manager situation (only team in the league not to have signed a player yet) so may well have thrown a bit of money at Gogic to get him in.

30 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Looks like we lined up 4-3-3 in both halves tonight

I could see O’Connor coming in to line up alongside Gallagher and attempting to offload one of Fraser, Shaughnessy or Dunne. 

No way Shaughnessy or Dunne will go. I could see Fraser heading out, but he's too useful in that right-hand of three CHs role. If he's happy being backup then I think we'll keep him.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

No way Shaughnessy or Dunne will go. I could see Fraser heading out, but he's too useful in that right-hand of three CHs role. If he's happy being backup then I think we'll keep him.

*if* we were to sign O’Connor and *if* we played with a back 4 then I’d imagine that the current central defenders won’t be happy, there may be interest in them and we might want to free up a wage. 3 back up central defenders would possibly be excessive. 

All ifs though. Maybe we’re not interested in O’Connor now we have Gallagher and / or we’ll play 3 in central defence 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

This lad O’Connor we are possibly in for, I can’t remember him playing 70 games for Aberdeen. Just looking at his wiki page, he’s very experienced and would seem to be a similar type player to Gogic, in terms of covering the midfield and centre back positions.