The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

6 former players (Carson, Tait, Dunne, O'Hara, Main and now Gallagher) and 4 former staff (Lasley, Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle).

Did we ever line up

Dunne  Gallagher O’Hara Tait

Carson

at the back?

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

6 former players (Carson, Tait, Dunne, O'Hara, Main and now Gallagher) and 4 former staff (Lasley, Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle).

It's almost beyond parody now. No shame in it, tbh: Motherwell have stood out as a club that does things the right way for some time now and, while the players have little to do with that, I'm intrigued to see the influence Robbo and especially Lasley have on our club.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

It's almost beyond parody now. No shame in it, tbh: Motherwell have stood out as a club that does things the right way for some time now and, while the players have little to do with that, I'm intrigued to see the influence Robbo and especially Lasley have on our club.

I am just waiting for Liam Donnelly to sign. Almost an inevitability about it. 
Certainly be an interesting opening game to the season.

No surprise Robbo would trust staff / players that were successful for him before. That plus they fall into the affordable category in terms of budget.

Dont blame Gallacher for joining Aberdeen a bigger club on bigger wages. It was just the manner it came about, which meant he turned from a hero to zero in the eyes of most Well fans. I would like to say I wish him well……but I cannot 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Shit. That's an appalling failure of character judgment with this signing.

That's the first Saints signing in my entire life that I can't support at all on any level.

I love the Wokesoft phase.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I am just waiting for Liam Donnelly to sign. Almost an inevitability about it. 

I'd have been inclined to agree with you if Ryan Strain hadn't just signed, so I'd now call it unlikely at best. Strain will be our first choice at right back and I don't see anywhere else Donnelly would fit in. He certainly wouldn't be a first choice pick in the middle of the park if Gogic did sign as we'd be pretty packed in there with O'Hara, Erhahon, Reid, Flynn and Baccus all able to play there and I can't see him signing as a back up for any of the positions he can play but who knows? Maybe if Gogic doesn't come, Donnelly will be on the list of options.

Everyone is aware that Robinson loves a packed squad though, so I wouldn't rule anything out. Especially as Donnelly provides cover in several areas of the park.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Loans are usually later in the market......

Fair point about the timings, hadnt thought about that. I think given our transfer business so far its still a good sign that we at least won't be doing any panic loans for key positions. If/when we do loan folk in, you'd expect it to be good ones 🙂

If you think it's "woke" to be completely hard-line against convicted criminals (time-served and penitent or otherwise) then you need a new dictionary. [emoji38]
Out of interest, do you have the same attitude towards Martindale?

43 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Shit. That's an appalling failure of character judgment with this signing.

That's the first Saints signing in my entire life that I can't support at all on any level.

Can only hope that Big Joe and Charles can step up to keep this fucker out the team.

Hopefully keeps you out the stadium then 

2 hours ago, elvis said:

Dons fans glad to see the back of him can't be that bad surely. You don't go from playing international football to being utter shit in space off a couple of years.

@Dons_1988 alluded to it earlier but he was utterly ragdolled at Fir Park by Kevin Van Veen who was playing with one functioning arm at the time. Bullied doesn't even come close to covering it. It was very funny and tbqh a solid highlight of our season.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread and other Well fans have touched on it since but for all Gallagher had a great first season for us, was deservedly POTY and his form merited his Scotland call up you have to balance it out with the fact that his 2nd season was a shambles. While his attempts to leverage a move with the whole "gun to his head" incident did him no favours at all.

By all accounts his season with Aberdeen has just been a continuation of his 2nd season form with us. That's not to say he can't find his form again but the St Mirren fans going to bat for him on Twitter saying how great he was for Motherwell are definitely being selective on his time with us.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I appreciate that I'm extreme on my views on convicted criminals and probably in a tiny minority who wants them locked away permanently for the betterment of everyone else. 😀

You don’t believe that folk can be rehabilitated or given a second chance?

Signing a 31 year old defender who was capped for Scotland 2 years ago is, if nothing else, a sign that we're looking to bring in a better standard of player than we were bringing in in the windows of 2-3 years ago.

I actually really like the way our squad is shaping up already, and we're still in June.

Happy Buddie here.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Nailed it. The Motherwell fans banter on this has been decent to be fair. It’s the close season, and a wind-up never hurt anyone. 😜

Three questions. Same as for any St Mirren signing… Is he better than what we had already? Is he carrying a really serious injury that put off bigger clubs? Does he look good in a badged-up training top in Ireland?

You forgot: is he tall enough?

The notion that former offenders cannot be rehabilitated is utterly preposterous.

I understand that oaksoft has very valid personal reasons to hold the views he does, but a sense of proportion is also require.

I don't know enough about Gallagher's circumstances, so can't really comment. That said, I'm not going to be a hypocrite here, either. I'd be appalled if Goodwillie or the likes was anywhere near our club.

Hopefully Gallagher is genuinely remorseful.

Edited by Drooper