The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I like the fact Robo was linked with Cameron Norman from Newport, but told only a big fee would make them consider. Robo then still knows what positions he needs and has a nice wee shopping list of players. Going to guess the lad strain has pace as that is what Robo is all about. If he is a right sided player like Tanser, I'll be a happy man.

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

Watching those clips, he reminds me of Ralston. Thankfully the Celtic version rather than the guy who played for the Saintees…cue Response from RG?

Ralston grew into a competent wing back over time with us. Didn’t expect to see him become as good as he has though! 

Strain looks very decent. Should cement wing backs as being your formation of choice. 

15 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Takes some doing to get that accolade but he manages it. The guy who used to claim his scarf was used for new signing photos every single time, as if there was a shortage of scarves, a close second. Especially now he has turned into a George Galloway shagging, nasty Russian mouthpiece. 

The bold Pablo is on mentioning his scarf again today 😂

22 hours ago, McG said:

I think most of Robinson’s signings at Motherwell were exactly this type of signing, some work some don’t.

I would rather a signing like this than a couple of dumplings like Considine and Drey Wright.

Aye. I've seen absolutely nothing of yer man other than the clip in this thread but on the face of it going by his Wiki he's an absolutely textbook Robinson/Foyle signing.

When we were linked alongside yourselves and Livi I mentioned in our thread that he sounded exactly like the sort of signing we'd have made 3-4 years ago (less so now under Alexander). Absolutely rapid and the hope/gamble is that he's coachable for the other stuff - see also Sherwin Seedorf and a host of others.

Tbh, it was rare for Robinson to go out and sign 'established' players, off the top of my head only Ciftci and Ross McCormack fall into that bracket. Both loans, one did a job the other lasted a month before he was shipped back to Villa. In that respect I'd have been amazed if players like Considine or Wright would ever have been of interest to him.

Edited by capt_oats

46 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. I've seen absolutely nothing of yer man other than the clip in this thread but on the face of it going by his Wiki he's an absolutely textbook Robinson/Foyle signing.

When we were linked alongside yourselves and Livi I mentioned in our thread that he sounded exactly like the sort of signing we'd have made 3-4 years ago (less so now under Alexander). Absolutely rapid and the hope/gamble is that he's coachable for the other stuff - see also Sherwin Seedorf and a host of others.

Tbh, it was rare for Robinson to go out and sign 'established' players, off the top of my head only Ciftci and Ross McCormack fall into that bracket. Both loans, one did a job the other lasted a month before he was shipped back to Villa. In that respect I'd have been amazed if players like Considine or Wright would ever have been of interest to him.

After reading that, I'd love to see the footage that led him to sign Curtis Main for you.

46 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It’s a step change for us as we’ve typically gone down the tried and tested route.

Apart from the Kearney January. That was tremendous. I mean, who the f**k were Hladky, Corbu, Muzek, Popescu & Nazon? Top shaggers, the lot of them. Give me a window like that every few months. 

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

After reading that, I'd love to see the footage that led him to sign Curtis Main for you.

You'd have to ask Robinson what he was actually looking for when he signed Main tbh.

The thing with Main was that he was replacing one of the best goalscorers we've had this century and when he hit his purple patch after he arrived folk just assumed that's what he was. His 2nd season he was paired with Conor Sammon rather than Ciftci and we just resorted to murderball (even with Turnbull in the team) and when it became clear that he wasn't Louis Moult folk started getting on his case.

I'd argue that despite not getting goals out him Robinson knew how to use Main more than most. He was essentially used as a wrecking ball to let Ariyibi, Turnbull, Campbell and Hastie do their thing and in hindsight for the period between Jan - May 19 he played that role well.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I like the fact Robo was linked with Cameron Norman from Newport, but told only a big fee would make them consider. Robo then still knows what positions he needs and has a nice wee shopping list of players. Going to guess the lad strain has pace as that is what Robo is all about. If he is a right sided player like Tanser, I'll be a happy man.

Don't know why he doesn't appear in 20/21, but I can see him in Australia in 19/20. Doesn't seem like hes prone to running with the ball but hes hefty into doing stuff on the ball and looks solid defensively too. Greg Taylor comparison interesting.

strain.thumb.png.1aa1e2d89da352bb32e50c5ecc78756f.png

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'd argue that despite not getting goals out him Robinson knew how to use Main more than most. He was essentially used as a wrecking ball to let Ariyibi, Turnbull, Campbell and Hastie do their thing and in hindsight for the period between Jan - May 19 he played that role well.

We've seen flashes of that wrecking ball. The game against St Johnstone at the end of of season he completely bullied their defence. I don't think he'll ever be a nailed on starter and definitely not a real goalscorer but he can still do a job.

Can we stop with the Main bashing?

He gets a clean slate from me - full pre season under a new boss who seems to bring out the best in him.

Go smash it Curtis [emoji123]

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't know why he doesn't appear in 20/21, but I can see him in Australia in 19/20. Doesn't seem like hes prone to running with the ball but hes hefty into doing stuff on the ball and looks solid defensively too. Greg Taylor comparison interesting.

strain.thumb.png.1aa1e2d89da352bb32e50c5ecc78756f.png

Folk give you shit for being a boring statto but I actually like when you post stuff like this. It gives good insights to the type of player someone is outwith what appears on YouTube videos that could even reasonably make me look competent as a footballer.

Edited by djchapsticks

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

+1 for randomguy not being anywhere near as bad as people make out. I also quite enjoy his contributions.

Nah. Sounds like a guy who was pish at football at school and has carried this burden ever since.

14 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Nah. Sounds like a guy who was pish at football at school and has carried this burden ever since.

You can be utterly pish at fitba and have an above average understanding of the game and what makes a good player.

All said, the guy has sunk a lot of time and effort into what he does so he clearly understands the metrics.