The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Tokely was different though as his challenge on Chris Kerr was a disgrace. He went in to do him as Kerr had ripped the pass out him a few times.

Hartley was always more of a pantomime villain. He must've loved it as he always played well against us and scored on a few occasions. I've got a bit of time for players who give a bit back to the fans. If you've been taking pelters for years, then you're quite within your rights to cup your ear to the fans after scoring a late equaliser. 

Tokely - ICT had put us out the Challenge & League cups earlier that season, both midweek games up in Sneck, I've always wondered if there was previous between between them from these matches cos my memory is of that tackle coming from nowhere, it couldn't even be called mistimed it was an assault.

Hartley - Never minded him, as you say he was a pantomime villain, first noticed at an end-of-season game back in 94/95 when he took a corner at the Love Street/North Bank corner from which they took the lead and he ran down the touchline in front of us with his hand cupped to his ears, we actually came back to win that game 3-2 but it was one of the few times we  got the better of him.

22 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I think Hartley's goal celebration in that game, where he went out of his way to run the whole length of the Saints support in the Main Stand at Firhill,  arms aloft while staring us down with a weird deadpan facial expression might have been what alerted us to the type of character he was, rather that one incident where he may have dived.

1995 I think?

We’d gone 2-0 up, I think Yardley scored at least 1 and Accies came back to draw 2-2 with Hartley scoring both?

He was only 19 at the time, maybe even still 18. Just acting like a kid would done having broken into the first team and scoring twice like that. He at least had the ability to back up his bravado 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

1 hour ago, btb said:

Tokely - ICT had put us out the Challenge & League cups earlier that season, both midweek games up in Sneck, I've always wondered if there was previous between between them from these matches cos my memory is of that tackle coming from nowhere, it couldn't even be called mistimed it was an assault.

Hartley - Never minded him, as you say he was a pantomime villain, first noticed at an end-of-season game back in 94/95 when he took a corner at the Love Street/North Bank corner from which they took the lead and he ran down the touchline in front of us with his hand cupped to his ears, we actually came back to win that game 3-2 but it was one of the few times we  got the better of him.

I remember a game against Hearts at Love Street, we were leading 2-1 and there was a lull in the game whilst someone got treatment before a Hearts free kick

Hartley was waiting to take the free kick in front of the North Bank and the Saints fans were giving it “Hartley, Hartley, what’s the score”

Of course, he put in a cracking delivery, Hearts equalised and he promptly turned round with 2 fingers up in each hand. I actually thought it was a witty response! 

Edit - dredging up petty incidents from approaching 30 years ago as if they happened recently makes me feel very old 😆

Edited by Captain Saintsible

11 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

1995 I think?

We’d gone 2-0 up, I think Yardley scored at least 1 and Accies came back to draw 2-2 with Hartley scoring both?

He was only 19 at the time, maybe even still 18. Just acting like a kid would done having broken into the first team and scoring twice like that. He at least had the ability to back up his bravado 

I think there was a lot of us that day, IIRC it was Yardley's debut and we scored from the KO with the pass to the left side and a cross into the box for the big man - did it ever work again?

11 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I remember a game against Hearts at Love Street, we were leading 2-1 and there was a lull in the game whilst someone got treatment before a Hearts free kick

Hartley was waiting to take the free kick in front of the North Bank and the Saints fans were giving it “Hartley, Hartley, what’s the score”

Of course, he put in a cracking delivery, Hearts equalised and he promptly turned round with 2 fingers up in each hand. I actually thought it was a witty response! 

And got booked for it.

Then later booked again. :lol: 

That was the game that future Scotland regular Christophe Berra got utterly annihilated by Stewart Kean to the point where Hearts hooked him after the first 20 or so minutes, only for Kean himself to depart injured a minute or two later.

Was rare you see one of our players have quality opposition players on toast like that day. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And got booked for it.

Then later booked again. :lol: 

That was the game that future Scotland regular Christophe Berra got utterly annihilated by Stewart Kean to the point where Hearts hooked him after the first 20 or so minutes, only for Kean himself to depart injured a minute or two later.

Was rare you see one of our players have quality opposition players on toast like that day. 

That was the Stewart Kean from an alternative universe that afternoon...

5 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

1995 I think?

I walked into the ground just as Yardley scored. I hadn't even heard we'd signed him and I was wondering who the f**k he was.

I always respected Hartley. He was c*nt but he was only giving as good as he got. It was a complete waste of time booing him because he thrived on it and was frequently sensational against us. A great player.

Already well established as a panto villain, he had the comic genius to be involved in the Alan Main game too. With the half time scores putting us in great shape to stay up (2-1 to us v Aberdeen and 2-0 St Johnstone v Dundee United) it was Hartley getting a ridiculous red card in the first minute of the second half that set the tone for the comeback and gave Alan Main centre stage, with Sandy Clark saying "You can't legislate for what he's done there" in his post match interview.

And that was against the backdrop of us having given up a 2-0 lead at St Johnstone the previous week.......with Hartley scoing a screamer for the equaliser. 😀

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I walked into the ground just as Yardley scored. I hadn't even heard we'd signed him and I was wondering who the f**k he was.

I always respected Hartley. He was c*nt but he was only giving as good as he got. It was a complete waste of time booing him because he thrived on it and was frequently sensational against us. A great player.

Already well established as a panto villain, he had the comic genius to be involved in the Alan Main game too. With the half time scores putting us in great shape to stay up (2-1 to us v Aberdeen and 2-0 St Johnstone v Dundee United) it was Hartley getting a ridiculous red card in the first minute of the second half that set the tone for the comeback and gave Alan Main centre stage, with Sandy Clark saying "You can't legislate for what he's done there" in his post match interview.

And that was against the backdrop of us having given up a 2-0 lead at St Johnstone the previous week.......with Hartley scoing a screamer for the equaliser. 😀

We played St. Johnstone at Love Street in first game of the season in the 1st division after they came down. Maybe about 2002/03. Hartley scored a genuinely world class goal that day, some Saintees clogger hoofed it forward onto Hartley but made an arse of the pass and it was hit short and at waist height. Hartley who had already started his run, actually caught it at arse-level with his heel on the run and flicked it over his head into his path before slotting it home from the edge of the box. It was an outrageous bit of skill and I don't think the cameras were there that day as it was between contracts with Scotsport/Football First.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We played St. Johnstone at Love Street in first game of the season in the 1st division after they came down. Maybe about 2002/03. Hartley scored a genuinely world class goal that day, some Saintees clogger hoofed it forward onto Hartley but made an arse of the pass and it was hit short and at waist height. Hartley who had already started his run, actually caught it at arse-level with his heel on the run and flicked it over his head into his path before slotting it home from the edge of the box. It was an outrageous bit of skill and I don't think the cameras were there that day as it was between contracts with Scotsport/Football First.

Still a p***k.

Our first ever Head of Recruitment?

Can understand what the working weeks of the physio and sport scientist look like but how about the HoR? 

I'm guessing he just spends most of his time watching football live or online and trawling databases. Might not actually spend any time in Paisley.... Basically, a modern reworking of the old "Head Scout" role?

10 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Can understand what the working weeks of the physio and sport scientist look like but how about the HoR? 

I'm guessing he just spends most of his time watching football live or online and trawling databases. Might not actually spend any time in Paisley.... Basically, a modern reworking of the old "Head Scout" role?

That is how I see it

45 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

He's based around Stoke.

Having said that, he was often around Fir Park pre-season and would be away on our training camps.

Fwiw, given Robinson seems to be trying to recreate the set up he had with us it's worth having a read at this interview with Martyn Corrigan. It should give you an idea of how Foyle fitted in with us.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

He's based around Stoke.

Having said that, he was often around Fir Park pre-season and would be away on our training camps.

Fwiw, given Robinson seems to be trying to recreate the set up he had with us it's worth having a read at this interview with Martyn Corrigan. It should give you an idea of how Foyle fitted in with us.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539

He is the type of person our club has been screaming out for. Hopefully he can unearth some talent for this season

djchapsticks at 4pm today:

It's been about 3 years - maybe I should give the supporters group on Facebook a rejoin. It surely can't be as hopelessly pish as I remember.

5pm today:

image.png.0b8c4a11248992ac1c5f57967f4be89d.png

djchapsticks at 5:15pm:

Adventure Time Goodbye GIF

Edited by djchapsticks