The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

27 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Explains why they nearly got relegated then. 

Fortunately for my ego I didn't start until the Summer window was virtually done 😂

It's all over now anyway, so I can go back to getting mocked for thinking I can spot a player.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Several have turned out pretty well.

Mugabi, Donnelly, Kipre, Grimshaw, Carson.

Kipré is the obvious one in that we had him in on trial and he'd barely played any first team football. He ended up signing 3 different contracts in the one season before we ended up selling him to Wigan for c£1m.

Grimshaw was actually a Baraclough signing originally. He was a known quantity when Robinson signed him.

Arguably Gillespie was a better goalkeeper than Carson as well.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Kipré is the obvious one in that we had him in on trial and he'd barely played any first team football. He ended up signing 3 different contracts in the one season before we ended up selling him to Wigan for c£1m.

Grimshaw was actually a Baraclough signing originally. He was a known quantity when Robinson signed him.

Arguably Gillespie was a better goalkeeper than Carson as well.

Yeah, different gauges of success but there are several where either Motherwell have sold them on for cash or they've given you 2+ good years of first team football. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, different gauges of success but there are several where either Motherwell have sold them on for cash or they've given you 2+ good years of first team football. 

I may, or may not have posted this in your thread before but I've definitely posted in our thread.

Here's every signing Robinson made in his time at Motherwell. 55 players over 3.5 years (4 summer windows). You can pick the bones out of who was unknown/successful etc. :lol:

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) 

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I may, or may not have posted this in your thread before but I've definitely posted in our thread.

Here's every signing Robinson made in his time at Motherwell. 55 players over 3.5 years (4 summer windows). You can pick the bones out of who was unknown/successful etc. :lol:

Like every manager a very mixed bag in there. Alexander appears to similarly enjoy a mad unknown English signing as well.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Like every manager a very mixed bag in there. Alexander appears to similarly enjoy a mad unknown English signing as well.

Aye. A mixed bag is about right. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking a dig at Robinson.

His argument would naturally be that no manager has a 100% success rate with transfers, especially on our budget. That list really just gives you an idea of who he signed so you can make your own judgement.

Some did very well and moved, a fair number we got 2 years of football from before moving to better paid gigs and a few were cut loose as soon as their contracts ended, if not before (hiya Casper, hiya pal).

His approach worked quite well, until it didn't but there's no denying that the longer it went on the more wasteful it seemed to become and ultimately it's pretty unsustainable to have to be signing 19 and 17 players every 2nd season.

As far as Alexander goes, I think you'll probably get a better idea of what he's about in this window - last summer we had a number of players who were clearly signed just to pad out the squad early on as we had (another) full rebuild. Hence the signing of a handful of players who folk hadn't heard of. They weren't really part of any plan or strategy, they were just here to fill a few jerseys for the Betfred and opening round of league fixtures while we tried to get our main targets in.

As it stands we've got 22 first team players contracted (including Spittal) which is the complete opposite of the situation we'd find ourselves in on a yearly basis when Robinson was here so we simply don't have room to take punts. The chat from the club at our AGM was that we were only expecting around 5 new players coming in this window and we've already made one of those.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fortunately for my ego I didn't start until the Summer window was virtually done 😂

It's all over now anyway, so I can go back to getting mocked for thinking I can spot a player.

It's as if Bobby Ewing was never shot at all and just turned up one day in the shower

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. A mixed bag is about right. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking a dig at Robinson.

His argument would naturally be that no manager has a 100% success rate with transfers, especially on our budget. That list really just gives you an idea of who he signed so you can make your own judgement.

Some did very well and moved, a fair number we got 2 years of football from before moving to better paid gigs and a few were cut loose as soon as their contracts ended, if not before (hiya Casper, hiya pal).

His approach worked quite well, until it didn't but there's no denying that the longer it went on the more wasteful it seemed to become and ultimately it's pretty unsustainable to have to be signing 19 and 17 players every 2nd season.

As far as Alexander goes, I think you'll probably get a better idea of what he's about in this window - last summer we had a number of players who were clearly signed just to pad out the squad early on as we had (another) full rebuild. Hence the signing of a handful of players who folk hadn't heard of. They weren't really part of any plan or strategy, they were just here to fill a few jerseys for the Betfred and opening round of league fixtures while we tried to get our main targets in.

As it stands we've got 22 first team players contracted (including Spittal) which is the complete opposite of the situation we'd find ourselves in on a yearly basis when Robinson was here so we simply don't have room to take punts. The chat from the club at our AGM was that we were only expecting around 5 new players coming in this window and we've already made one of those.

I think of a few of those names that failed to impress, he was unlucky with. To pick a few:

Gael Bigirimana - Had a very bright future, which he never lived up to.

Ellis Plummer - He was actually decent when he was with us, though ended up retiring through injury.

McCormack - This could have worked out really well, though McCormack just never showed up

Sammon - Beginning of the fall for the big guy. Always thought he was punching when he moved to England, though done okay.

Rolando Aarons - Another similar to Bigirimana, was tipped for a future and hasn't worked out. I remember Adam Campbell when we got him in from Newcastle he was tipped as the next one off the production line and he ended up dropping the leagues.

Jake Hastie - Another that should have worked out and never.

Can't say much more of the others listed, though a bit of a mixed bag. 

Edited by smellthepaw

17 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think of a few of those names that failed to impress, he was unlucky with. To pick a few:

Rolando Aarons - Another similar to Bigirimana, was tipped for a future and hasn't worked out. I remember Adam Campbell when we got him in from Newcastle he was tipped as the next one off the production line and he ended up dropping the leagues.

In fairness big Rolando would probably have been absolutely fine. He was signed in the curtailed season so he wasn't long in the door before everything shut down.

Basically he signed on January 31st and played 8 games before our last game on 7th March. It's not really enough to judge him one way or another.

He was a short notice signing after James Scott was sold at the last minute. He wasn't fit when he arrived but was getting up to speed by the time the league was stopped. He scored against your lot in the 4-4 game in the cup.

Happy with that signing, good to have another option in attack. He's 25 and we will be his 11th club, so he's certainly been about a bit. 

image.png

The Mallan return rumous seem to be gaining a bit of traction too, it seems like we have offered him a deal. Whether he signs it or not is another matter of course, I expect he will have plenty of other options. 

48 minutes ago, Lex said:

The Mallan return rumous seem to be gaining a bit of traction too, it seems like we have offered him a deal. Whether he signs it or not is another matter of course, I expect he will have plenty of other options. 

Got to laugh at some of the folk saying they wouldn't give Mallan a shout. 

The guy scored or assisted at a rate of a goal every other game for us over nearly 120 appearances. I don't think we'd be in a position to turn our noses up at that.

Would have Mallan back for his set pieces alone. 

He's not really one to dictate a game but when it comes to spectacular goals, aye hes a wildcard. Depending who we had in beside him that is. Would a midfield of him, O'Hara and Erhahon be enough to dominate games at this level? Not sure. 

18 hours ago, capt_oats said:

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) 

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

FWIW, how i'd rate them, good, somewhere in-between, or bad (Xenodochof and Mbulu are none of the above).

The yellows all contributed in some way or another, or are still kicking around, or in Tanner's case got so irretrievably broken we let him go.

A bunch of the reds I'd have redded about 5 times over, and some of the greens I'd let sleep in my spare room if they needed to. Balance.

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

FWIW, how i'd rate them, good, somewhere in-between, or bad (Xenodochof and Mbulu are none of the above).

The yellows all contributed in some way or another, or are still kicking around, or in Tanner's case got so irretrievably broken we let him go.

A bunch of the reds I'd have redded about 5 times over, and some of the greens I'd let sleep in my spare room if they needed to. Balance.

Aye, I think I'm broadly the same in terms of ratings although there are a few of the greens that have actually become erm, greener? under Alexander than they were during Robinson's time specifically; Tony Watt and Devante Cole who were good signings but scored more goals under Alexander, Mugabi who's developed a fair bit but especially Ricki Lamie who's unrecognisable now compared to when he was playing for Robinson.