The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Looks like Davis is being offered a new one year deal with Rangers going by press reports sadly.  Still confident Robinson will put together a decent squad. Renewed my season ticket excited what will next season will bring.  Voted against 2 stands for the old firm but not willing to subsidise it the club get enough out of me already with 1877 club and Saints TV.  Been a member with SMISA from day one until this year. 

10 hours ago, Paxo said:

I think you're missing my point.

Kilmarnock stopped the old firm taking both ends at (say) a 50% financial 'hit'. I think every Killie fan would agree that was a good idea for the benefit of the club.

In fact, now that you mention it, wouldn't Killie taking a bigger financial hit than St Mirren, given our bigger stands?

Perhaps it's costing us more to refuse the green/blue pound, but I'm 100% certain it's the best thing for us.

Nah, I think it's you that's missing the point to be honest. When it comes to signing players, etc, teams like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone are all peer clubs. St Mirren already have one of the smallest budgets in the league. Even with Kilmarnock and Motherwell's grand gesture of only having 4-5 thousand OF fans into each home game, that's still a big budget deficit St Mirren have to overcome, even with the current arrangements, worse with the ones you think we are honour bound to implement immediately instead of 23/24 as promised.

Personally I'd rather have one stand open to the OF, but that budget needs to be made up somewhere, or it needs to be unbudgeted cuts to the playing squad for this season. You can bet your fucking life that the guys on here insisting cuts to the playing budget are fine right now will be screaming in a month's time when we are unexpectedly missing out on players heading to the club's mentioned above.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Personally I'd rather have one stand open to the OF, but that budget needs to be made up somewhere, or it needs to be unbudgeted cuts to the playing squad for this season. You can bet your fucking life that the guys on here insisting cuts to the playing budget are fine right now will be screaming in a month's time when we are unexpectedly missing out on players heading to the club's mentioned above.

Surely the easiest option is to bring the Family stand ST pricing back up in line with the rest of the stadium? That will at least offset some of the shortfall.

Also, in the 4 years since we've been giving the OF the 2 stands, we've managed to negotiate a lot of new shirt and short sponsors. Our operating income has increased since this started happening. It's absolute nonsense to suggest a further £30 increase to all ST holders to make up for this shortfall, meanwhile I am guessing our new CEO will already be out trying to drum up local business support to increase the club's income but the club ask for further financial input to offset the 2 stands issue regardless of whether we do drum up extra advertising revenue or not.

It feels lazy as f**k by SMFC in all honesty. 'Well we don't want this, but if you do we'll make you pay for it'.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Surely the easiest option is to bring the Family stand ST pricing back up in line with the rest of the stadium? That will at least offset some of the shortfall.

Also, in the 4 years since we've been giving the OF the 2 stands, we've managed to negotiate a lot of new shirt and short sponsors. Our operating income has increased since this started happening. It's absolute nonsense to suggest a further £30 increase to all ST holders to make up for this shortfall, meanwhile I am guessing our new CEO will already be out trying to drum up local business support to increase the club's income but the club ask for further financial input to offset the 2 stands issue regardless of whether we do drum up extra advertising revenue or not.

It feels lazy as f**k by SMFC in all honesty. 'Well we don't want this, but if you do we'll make you pay for it'.

Don't really disagree with anything you are saying to be honest, I just think it's a bit disingenuous to compare our situation with that of clubs that have the facility to sell thousands more tickets to OF fans than we do without moving anyone, especially when many of those clubs are already charging more for a season ticket than we are anyway.

I think its evident when the stadium was built, that it would have (if budget allowed) made logical sense to make the away stand much bigger, whether that was filling corners or adding more depth to it. It would have been better using the space where the dome is for a larger stand.

It's left us in a position, where the only option to fill the shortfall in potential more income is to offer the additional family stand and temporarily move out our own fans. As a fan owned community club, I don't think this approach reads well at all. Its also not logical to move the away fans into both the main and west stands as an overspill alternative. The northbank have bedded in to their area, including decorated under the west stand for their section and I don't think the logistics work for the home stand either.

Ultimately if it’s all about money, we might as well give them three stands and squeeze our support into the Main Stand. After all, we’d sell three stands out.

There’s also the fact that the stadium was designed to allow the West Stand to be segregated - I’m very much in the ‘one stand only’ camp, but it doesn’t sit overly well with me that by using W7 for the singing section/ultras it’s become untouchable, while the Family Stand can be handed over without a second thought.

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Ultimately if it’s all about money, we might as well give them three stands and squeeze our support into the Main Stand. After all, we’d sell three stands out.

There’s also the fact that the stadium was designed to allow the West Stand to be segregated - I’m very much in the ‘one stand only’ camp, but it doesn’t sit overly well with me that by using W7 for the singing section/ultras it’s become untouchable, while the Family Stand can be handed over without a second thought.

Perhaps time for W7 section to be used for overspill again.

If the club look at it strictly from a financial perspective, W7 section surely contributes less historically than other parts of the stadium due to it being largely made up of 18-21 discounted season ticket holders. 

No.  That would be a bridge too far, for me anyway.  If its all about the money, just sell the ground out, all 4 stands, to the the bigots.  35 quid a seat would bring the coffers up nicely.  We can all go to the Bull Inn/Wee Howff and get lashed up, write it all off as a bad day.  

1 stand if we absolutely must. Any of the songbooks come out, lets draw a line in the sand and not let them back in.  

Fuckem. 

1 stand and extortionate ticket prices seems the logical option to me. They should be paying a premium rate for the privilege of spewing their bile in our stadium. Call it a bigot tax. 

You won't get many pay at the gate StMirren fans anyway, normally there are plenty of season ticket holders offering their ticket for the gruesome twosome games.

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

1 stand and extortionate ticket prices seems the logical option to me. They should be paying a premium rate for the privilege of spewing their bile in our stadium. Call it a bigot tax. 

You won't get many pay at the gate StMirren fans anyway, normally there are plenty of season ticket holders offering their ticket for the gruesome twosome games.

Love the idea of the bigotry tax. Tell the spfl for every bigoted song, we're adding a quid to the price of away tickets for the next game. Camera/mic on the away end for proof. 

Imagine the raging reactions. We'd be fucking pioneers.

On 29/05/2022 at 14:14, SuperSaints1877 said:

Did you not one end of season game give up 3 stands to Sevco? I’m sure you used to regularly give up 2 stands to the bigot brothers.

You and Motherwell have a major advantage over St Mirren in that you each have a massive away stand which is probably twice the size of our 2 stand system.

Personally I’d rather just ban the cnuts.

On 29/05/2022 at 14:24, Paxo said:

We used to give up two ends, which as I've mentioned above, nobody wants to go back to, but never three sides to my knowledge.

On 29/05/2022 at 14:32, RandomGuy. said:

They did, yes, in 2011.

3 stands handed to Rangers as a special event to celebrate their title win.

Wrong - they got 2 stands that day, but bought up loads of tickets for the other 2 stands. The main stand and the East Stand were both meant to be only for Killie fans.  It was horrific that afternoon and PC Plod and his assistants were utterly incompetent in stopping them git into these 2 stands.

That game and the aftermath of the day Celtic fans mis-behaved in 2003 when they lost the league at Rugby Park on goal difference are the 2 worst experiences I have ever experienced in over 50 years watching Killie. 

The next season (2011/2012) we gave Celtic fans 3 stands the day they beat us 6-0 to win the league, just weeks after we beat them in the League Cup Final - and allowed their DJ to perform as well - dreadful. 

I made sure I cleaned my seat the next time I was there first before sitting down. 

Re St Mirren, ensure you only give the bigots one stand maximum.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Love the idea of the bigotry tax. Tell the spfl for every bigoted song, we're adding a quid to the price of away tickets for the next game. Camera/mic on the away end for proof. 

Imagine the raging reactions. We'd be fucking pioneers.

We could have a barometer Blue Peter style which goes up on the big screen and for every sectarian chant/song it goes up. A sectarianometer if you like. If it caught on and was published weekly might shame some of them, but doubt it. 

27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m hearing there’s another signing to be announced this week. Possibly one of the previously mentioned PCA players. 

Would be good to see someone we haven’t seen mentioned before. 

Yeah, it currently feels like we've all had an early peek at our Christmas presents.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Seen Mallan's name mentioned a couple of times on social media.

Not a priority position just now you feel given how well Kiltie has been playing for us but he'd certainly add quality to the squad and first XI.

He was in Paisley yesterday. 

Seen Mallan's name mentioned a couple of times on social media.
Not a priority position just now you feel given how well Kiltie has been playing for us but he'd certainly add quality to the squad and first XI.
He was in Paisley yesterday. 
I would say it's a priority. Could give Kiltie competition and allows someone else to fill a role behind the strikers if Kiltie was injured etc. No one else in the squad could fill it so well in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Isma Goncalves has signed a 2 year deal at Livi. I'd definitely have taken him back. Great signing for Livi.

Think the ship has sailed with Isma. He's played about 30 games in the last 4 years since leaving the club Hearts sold him to and sort of wanders about Asia, picking up half a dozen games here and there.

Talented guy but I don't honestly think he's what we need anymore. Martindale might get a tune out of him but I'm quite glad we left him be. Still, he never played against us when at Hearts so he better get an almighty heroes welcome from us for those league cup heroics alone.