The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Yep can't ask for much more from a signing for a club like us. Plenty of experience at this level and equivalent down south, and he's a full international. 

At 34 he's pretty young for a keeper, he should have at least five years left in him. Hopefully he's here for the long haul.

20 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Good bit of business from the club. Good keeper at this level and bags of experience. Would like to know if Urminsky is the real deal and could he be a star for us eventually

Urminsky seems to have been highly rated by the Stenhousemuir fans during his loan spell last season. Obviously he wouldn't have faced Premiership standard opponents there but he's unlikely to be a dud. A bit frustrating for him all the same that he hasn't had much first team opportunities with us so far.

On 24/05/2022 at 23:38, djchapsticks said:

It was about 10 years later after we won the league in 2000. They were the dirtiest c***s I've ever seen us play against. It was Peter Fear who was the worst offender and got sent off for them that day.

I knew there was a reason I really don’t want Oxford to even win a corner. 

I voted to retain 3 stands at all times and to the detriment of the first team budget, we managed before and even won home games against Celtic/Rangers. Championship is a much better league and if it comes to that without this coveted £100k (sounds like how drastic things will get given the boards insistence on this figure) then I will be at ease with my decision. 

18 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I voted to retain 3 stands at all times and to the detriment of the first team budget, we managed before and even won home games against Celtic/Rangers. Championship is a much better league and if it comes to that without this coveted £100k (sounds like how drastic things will get given the boards insistence on this figure) then I will be at ease with my decision. 

We don’t lose games against Rangers and Celtic because they have more fans in the ground, we lose games against them because they are far better football teams than us. Livingston give out 3/4 of their ground and regularly take points off them both.

Long term to attract more young fans I agree with going back to 3 stands but it’s going to come at a cost that might see us slip further away from other teams in the league who wouldn’t be losing £100k out of their budget.

26 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Not one to dredge up old arguments :whistle but I'm sure GLS was suggesting we made a lot more from this move a coupla years back.

17 minutes ago, SS77 said:

We don’t lose games against Rangers and Celtic because they have more fans in the ground, we lose games against them because they are far better football teams than us. Livingston give out 3/4 of their ground and regularly take points off them both.

Long term to attract more young fans I agree with going back to 3 stands but it’s going to come at a cost that might see us slip further away from other teams in the league who wouldn’t be losing £100k out of their budget.

Agreed - I wasn’t meaning the more fans the less likely we are to get a result. More that we have competed and got results before with a budget similar to what would result from this change. The West stand was absolutely decimated the last game against Rangers in April, no one in the directors box could have been looking across from their position and be thinking the financial benefit outweighs everything else. Motherwell have drastically cut the allocation they give Celtic and Rangers in recent times, they haven’t fared too badly since. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

31 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Agreed - I wasn’t meaning the more fans the less likely we are to get a result. More that we have competed and got results before with a budget similar to what would result from this change. The West stand was absolutely decimated the last game against Rangers in April, no one in the directors box could have been looking across from their position and be thinking the financial benefit outweighs everything else. Motherwell have drastically cut the allocation they give Celtic and Rangers in recent times, they haven’t fared too badly since. 

Does Motherwell's away stand not hold more than 4000 people on it's own though? Have they shut down parts of it for Rangers and Celtic?

I voted to retain all 3 stands and that I was willing to pay extra towards this. I’m sure many of our sponsors and local business will be willing to help the cause.
Yip and increase their ticket prices for the single stand in line with what they pay at their own cesspits with the extra redeemable for Saints fans from other match tickets. I'm happy to pay circa £10 per match (x3) extra to see them in one stand but that is only if it encourages those that currently stay away from games against the cheeks to come back for these games. I think that is the key here, no point in fans saying they don't go to games v them because of the 2 stands stuff then still not turning up if we decide to make their games the same as any other for travelling fans