The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Was liked by majority of fans online which I didn't get. I just never ever took to him. He ran about like a madman, threw himself into wild tackles and then invariably tripped himself up, passed it poorly or played himself into trouble when he did have possession.

No qualms about him leaving whatsoever.

I agree, I honestly thought he was pretty crap and I wasn't surprised at all that we released him. Actually pretty surprised Killie have signed him to be honest.

28 minutes ago, GAD said:

I agree, I honestly thought he was pretty crap and I wasn't surprised at all that we released him. Actually pretty surprised Killie have signed him to be honest.

Perhaps his heart just wasn’t in it last season. He had split up with the woman of his dreams, and found a new bird in Paisley. She was ok, but not a patch on his ex down in Killie, so he was just going through the motions. He’s now back with his dream woman again. Tale as old as time. 

2 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

So gents, how poor or brilliant was Power last season?

Benefitted from not being as bad as we expected, I think everyone had very low expectations of him, but as others have said the difference between him and Gogic was huge. 

Slightly surprised that he has got another team at this level and glad that we didn’t look to keep him. 

10 minutes ago, Fide said:

Perhaps his heart just wasn’t in it last season. He had split up with the woman of his dreams, and found a new bird in Paisley. She was ok, but not a patch on his ex down in Killie, so he was just going through the motions. He’s now back with his dream woman again. Tale as old as time. 

His legs have slowed down m8, I wouldn't be bragging about signing him just yet.

10 minutes ago, Fide said:

Spin it anyway you want. Power is 35 this January his best years in football are well behind him I'm surprised Killie have gone for him to be honest . 

12 minutes ago, Fide said:

Could be that. More likely he's just a bit shit now. You'll find out soon enough.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His legs have slowed down m8, I wouldn't be bragging about signing him just yet.

Absolutely not bragging. Poor jokes aside, I’m very much on the fence about him coming back. 

46 minutes ago, Fide said:

But the woman of his dreams had let herself go and taken to the drink. She's now claiming shes doing better, but thats relative compared to who shes been hanging about with for a year.

She'll be back on the booze in no time. It'll all end in tears.

Lex was "really enjoying" his performances in February, so it sounds like the departure of Goodwin is the main issue here. Hopefully working with another good manager rather than Robinson will help get things back on track.

I thought Power started the season well and looked like a good signing. Broke up play well and won loads of tackles even though his distribution wasn't great. However as the season went on he seemed to slow down and tackling came into the late tackle category along with a booking. His distribution deteriorated. Still had a couple of decent spells in a game but they were becoming fewer and fewer. Would maybe at a push have kept him as a squad player only but as we have some good youngsters coming through then the right decision to let him go. Surprised Killie signing him. Think he'll be mostly on the bench.

30 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lex was "really enjoying" his performances in February, so it sounds like the departure of Goodwin is the main issue here. Hopefully working with another good manager rather than Robinson will help get things back on track.

Lex talks nonsense in fairness.

He’s still very hurt that Goodwin left.

3D2DC3EA-8F0F-4923-A8EE-C514ACAC0E68.jpeg

I'd have kept Power. I think he's a handy enough player to have, good at breaking up the play and retaining possession. I wouldn't have him as a guaranteed starter though and I'm surprised McInnes is taking him back to Kilmarnock. 

Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't think he did start well for us. His second league game he got sent off against Celtic for a stupid challenge. He did come on to a game and for a few months was arguably our best player. 

I was, overall he was good signing for us and he was a big part of our upturn in form at the start of the year. However, he is turning 35 next term and his performances dipped in the last third of the season. No one was surprised to see him released, it looked to me like his legs have gone.
I never thought we’d see Killie fans crowing about signing 34 year old who was deemed not good enough by St Mirren, but here we are. What strange times we live in.

I thought Power was OK. Far from brilliant, but far from a dud. Thought he was decent to have in the squad. Unless he goes mental and jumps into a two-footed challenge on a Saints player, I think he’ll get a fair reception on his return to the SMiSA. As he should, for not being a complete dud. Christ, we’ve seen enough. 😀

19 minutes ago, Lex said:

I was, overall he was good signing for us and he was a big part of our upturn in form at the start of the year. However, he is turning 35 next term and his performances dipped in the last third of the season. No one was surprised to see him released, it looked to me like his legs have gone.
I never thought we’d see Killie fans crowing about signing 34 year old who was deemed not good enough by St Mirren, but here we are. What strange times we live in.

I’ve not seen one Killie fan “crowing” about this, young Lexington. 

6 minutes ago, Fide said:

I’ve not seen one Killie fan “crowing” about this, young Lexington. 

Here's one....

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

And we'll take them back whenever we want.

2 hours ago, jm1 said:

Guessing we're doing a wee preseason tour of Northern Ireland again as we're apparently playing Linfield in Belfast on the 2nd of July at 1.30pm.

Other than the Covid season Robinson organised a week training camp in Ireland each summer he was with us. I'd imagine he'll be doing the same with you guys.

IIRC we used the hotel his ex-wife worked at as Business Development manager at the time, the Dunadry Hotel. The first time it was a place called Carton House.

Edited by capt_oats