The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Hope it's shite. We need him next season to be playing more. What we have seen of him, i don't think he looks out of place.
What I have seen of Aberdeen's Ramsay I didn't think much of him, but here we are seeing things coming out Liverpool and Leeds Talkin £4m. This article is saying 6 figures for Reid. We need to be integrating the academy players more, trying to get them on longer deals and trying to make more money like rival teams like Aberdeen, who are currently below us.

We’d have loved to get Reid on a longer deal, but he didn’t want to sign one. I believe he could have left for next to nothing before his 16th birthday, so the fact that he signed anything is decent. The last thing talented young players like him want to do is sign long term deals.
Ramsay is an established first team player, Reid couldn’t get a game for Queens Park when he went on loan there a couple of months ago. I do think he looks quality though - he was outstanding against Celtic. Hopefully see more of him next season if we can keep him in the summer.

I know we’re a selling club, and I know players who attract attention will be sold, just like McGinn, Morgan, McLean & Co. I also know that unlike the days of seeing a Stevie Clarke or Frank McAvennie for a decent period before they go, I’m only likely to see a couple of seasons tops out of really good players these days. However, if we’re talking about selling someone who I’ve never even seen, before they can sit their driving test, shave, or legally buy a pint, then the game’s a bogey.

The value of these "starlets" is often at it's greatest when they're 17/18 when a big club reckons they can mold @Arch Stanton them to their style the longer a "starlet" stays the closer their value drops to the development fee which seems to be £300k when they stay the course - if DR goes this summer I'd be looking for 7 figures.

Edited by btb

40 minutes ago, btb said:

The value of these "starlets" is often at it's greatest when they're 17/18 when a big club reckons they can mold @Arch Stanton them to their style the longer a "starlet" stays the closer their value drops to the development fee which seems to be £300k when they stay the course - if DR goes this summer I'd be looking for 7 figures.

Yeah, yet it seems like the young guys who have moved from Scotland to either England or abroad and done well are guys who played loads of games up here before they moved. I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of many "starlets" who moved before playing much first team football that ever amounted to much? Billy Gilmour I suppose.

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, yet it seems like the young guys who have moved from Scotland to either England or abroad and done well are guys who played loads of games up here before they moved. I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of many "starlets" who moved before playing much first team football that ever amounted to much? Billy Gilmour I suppose.

Aaron Hickey - 20-odd games in a rank Hearts team that even successful business woman Anne Budge couldn't save from relegation.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

Aaron Hickey - 20-odd games in a rank Hearts team that even successful business woman Anne Budge couldn't save from relegation.

Aye, fair enough, for some reason I thought Hickey had played more than that.

I’d be fine with us sticking with 3-5-2 next season. It’s based on very little evidence but my initial hunch is that Robinson can coach it more effectively than Goodwin. It’s getting the best out of Kiltie and our strikers, too.

Depends on how high you’re setting the amounting to much bar here but Ryan Fraser didn’t play much for Aberdeen before going down south and Grant Hanley left for Blackburn without playing for anyone up here. Both had pretty good careers.

32 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

What's the logic in not allowing returning loan players to play? Particularly those on development loans like Offord. We were allowed to recall him (and others) for the covid hit Celtic game and also Urminsky, when Alnwick was out. 

There's no unfair advantage being gained by giving game time to players not deemed ready to play earlier in the season. 

7 hours ago, btb said:

The new Ryan Gauld? Seriously though, I agree. If the chance comes he should bit hands off. Gauld is a limited player and has done far better then he would if he had stayed.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Interesting that we are waiting on the English market to open up. I think we need more than 2 or 3 more than the rumoured players 

That is the reason Martin Foyle has been brought in as he has really good knowledge and contacts in that market. 

I'd be surprised if Davis joined us. As much as he's getting on a bit, I doubt we'd be able to afford him. Aside from his history with Robinson, I can't see why he'd be interested.

He's played in Europe 6 times? this season and despite injuries has had a decent number of appearances. surely one of the other top 5 teams going into Europe would give him a punt if rangers don't keep him on.

I'd be pleased to be wrong on this.

1 hour ago, Bigbud76 said:

Heard he was joining as a player coach. Would be a good move.

Is Stephen McGinn joining your coaching staff?

At least thats the word down our way after he left Killie today.

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Is Stephen McGinn joining your coaching staff?

At least thats the word down our way after he left Killie today.

I would love to see him come back to the club. Hopefully part of his journey to become our manager eventually.