The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

There was something about Adam's performance yesterday that made me feel a bit sad. The guy was a very, very good player who played at a high level for years. Yesterday he was miles off it. I described him on the match thread as being like a big lad in school who wants to take all the corners and free kicks and just smash the ball as hard as he can.

His wee altercation with Erhahon just before Main's goal summed his day up, too slow so gets beaten to the ball and had to leave a wee bit on Erhahon, then gets involved with a bit of handbags. 

If that is indicative of his performances this season then it'll surely be his last. 

Charlie Adam retired yesterday, maybe not officially, but he’ll know himself he’s miles away from where he was and he’s turning into a laughing stock. 

Ridiculed all over social media last week for a shocking dive and now again this week for his pass back. 

Still seen a few moments of quality that Adam has. Just after the first goal he pinged a delightful ball over Tait’s head to their left back that almost resulted in a goal, and the quality of his corners and free kicks created chances at that start of the second half. However, in open play he did get the run around from Gogic and Erhahon.
I still think he’d be one of the best players in the Championship again next year, if he fancied it. You get that extra yard in that league and his lack of fitness won’t be as exposed as it is at this level.

Father Time catching up with Charlie Adam as happens when you get to a certain age. In dead ball situations he’s still got quality but his body is telling him that he’s no longer able to maintain the required level of fitness by the look of it.

As others have said it’s a bit sad to see. His contribution to our title winning season will always be remembered. He was outstanding for us.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

There was something about Adam's performance yesterday that made me feel a bit sad. The guy was a very, very good player who played at a high level for years. Yesterday he was miles off it. I described him on the match thread as being like a big lad in school who wants to take all the corners and free kicks and just smash the ball as hard as he can.

His wee altercation with Erhahon just before Main's goal summed his day up, too slow so gets beaten to the ball and had to leave a wee bit on Erhahon, then gets involved with a bit of handbags. 

If that is indicative of his performances this season then it'll surely be his last. 

Yes, can produce the odd moment of brilliance with that left foot but, beyond that, looks off the pace and not fit enough to manage more than a hour.

Another year on his contract which was quoted as £3500 / week. Not a great situation for Dundee.

34 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Yes, can produce the odd moment of brilliance with that left foot but, beyond that, looks off the pace and not fit enough to manage more than a hour.

Another year on his contract which was quoted as £3500 / week. Not a great situation for Dundee.

No wonder they are now cost cutting and clearing the decks with all the back room staff, if they are actually paying one guy £3.5 K a week.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Still seen a few moments of quality that Adam has. Just after the first goal he pinged a delightful ball over Tait’s head to their left back that almost resulted in a goal, and the quality of his corners and free kicks created chances at that start of the second half. However, in open play he did get the run around from Gogic and Erhahon.
I still think he’d be one of the best players in the Championship again next year, if he fancied it. You get that extra yard in that league and his lack of fitness won’t be as exposed as it is at this level.

Yeah, I said this on the matchday thread. If Dundee can still cover his wages, he'd be a great player to have in that league. If he wasn't on quite so much money, you'd say he'd make a great signing for someone like Partick.

I think broadly speaking, Dundee have fallen foul of two key errors: a honking appointment in McGhee, and a failure to adequately freshen up a squad that was probably flattered by those performances against Killie. We have nearly fallen foul of those in the past, only the penalties against Dundee United keeping us up in similar circumstances.

Cammy Smith will always be the poster boy of a player that skoosked the Championship but couldn't make the grade in the Prem. But he certainly won't be the last.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

The chance for Adam to show a moment of quality yesterday was when Dundee got a free kick just outside our box, right side of goal. Perfect for a quality left footer. Adam just hit a half-arsed attempt straight into the wall, then hit the rebound with the same result. I think Charlie is one season past his sell by date as a top flight player, and unless he loses at least half a stone and finds some motivation from somewhere deep within, then would struggle in the second tier too.

Adam has had a bit of a horrendous time with injuries this season and it may well be that he is indeed finished. However, I think his performances as of late have been due to a disconnect with our current manager and the fact that we've basically relied on a 36 year old CM who was never blessed physically to run the show every single time he's on the park. I firmly believe we've ran him into the ground this season.

He's shown he can still cut it when required such as him ripping the piss out of Scott Brown and more recently Lewis Ferguson where Charlie Adam basically salvaged us a point single handedly.

He's certainly not a player to be relied on to be the only player with any creative talent in a team and he's not a player that can play multiple times a week, but he's one of the few that have pretty much delivered for us when on the pitch.

To put it into context:

Charlie Adam in the team: 23 points in 22 games.

Charlie Adam not in the team: 2 points in 11 games (scoring only 5 goals in that time).

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Adam has had a bit of a horrendous time with injuries this season and it may well be that he is indeed finished. However, I think his performances as of late have been due to a disconnect with our current manager and the fact that we've basically relied on a 36 year old CM who was never blessed physically to run the show every single time he's on the park. I firmly believe we've ran him into the ground this season.

He's shown he can still cut it when required such as him ripping the piss out of Scott Brown and more recently Lewis Ferguson where Charlie Adam basically salvaged us a point single handedly.

He's certainly not a player to be relied on to be the only player with any creative talent in a team and he's not a player that can play multiple times a week, but he's one of the few that have pretty much delivered for us when on the pitch.

To put it into context:

Charlie Adam not in the team: 2 points in 11 games (scoring only 5 goals in that time).

Is it not also the case that Adam's wages are largely subsidised by a sponsor (or a couple of sponsors) so that side of things doesn't really make any difference to the club?

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

No wonder they are now cost cutting and clearing the decks with all the back room staff, if they are actually paying one guy £3.5 K a week.

Dundee aren't paying him that. 

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is it not also the case that Adam's wages are largely subsidised by a sponsor (or a couple of sponsors) so that side of things doesn't really make any difference to the club?

Indeed! His pay technically has nothing to do with the club!

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

We've not actually done any cost cutting so far?

40 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We've not actually done any cost cutting so far?

Fair enough, but inevitable when relegation is confirmed. 

Who would you be looking for to replace McGhee and give you a proper chance of a squad rebuild, capable of challenging to come straight back up.

Just now, glenburn bud said:

Fair enough, but inevitable when relegation is confirmed. 

Who would you be looking for to replace McGhee and give you a proper chance of a squad rebuild, capable of challenging to come straight back up.

Is it? Based on what? Certainly not on our owners decade in charge thus far. Managers are always well backed.

Jack Ross is meant to be a done deal apparently which I'm sure will be scoffed at on this thread since a few St Mirren fans have jumped into the Dundee thread to dismiss it!

I'd be looking to go for Paul Hartley if that is confirmed as nonsense though.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is it? Based on what? Certainly not on our owners decade in charge thus far. Managers are always well backed.

Jack Ross is meant to be a done deal apparently which I'm sure will be scoffed at on this thread since a few St Mirren fans have jumped into the Dundee thread to dismiss it!

Probably depends on his severance payments from Hibs, if he is only paid until he gets a new job then I can see him waiting them out, if not then Dundee would be a good fit as he needs to rebuild his reputation. 
Either way best of luck next season. 

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jack Ross to Dundee from us was a done deal 5 years ago as well if the local press was to be believed.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

To put it into context:

I would also imagine the decision to play him in central midfield alongside another aging player past his best in McGowan didn't help his performance. Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know that Adam is only effective if surrounded by younger players to do the running. 

Just now, Hendo said:

I would also imagine the decision to play him in central midfield alongside another aging player past his best in McGowan didn't help his performance. Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know that Adam is only effective if surrounded by younger players to do the running. 

Indeed - another one of Mark McGhee's utterly bizarre decisions. Shaun Byrne & Max Anderson (who scored our winner last time we met) were sitting on the bench.

McGowan is a player that hasn't been able to play CM for a good 4-5 seasons. He's off the striker or he's not on the pitch. McPake & McGhee have played him at LW at times this season and then McGhee thinks that pairing will bring success just sums up our ineptitude this season.