The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

Controversial stuff! Opening a can of worms, there...

He's referring to Beram Kayal. One nutter in the Main Stand gave him abuse when he was leaving the pitch upon being substituted., the irony being that although born in Haifa, he is a Muslim and considers himself Arabic.

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

He's referring to Beram Kayal. One nutter in the Main Stand gave him abuse when he was leaving the pitch upon being substituted., the irony being that although born in Haifa, he is a Muslim and considers himself Arabic.

In a crowd of ~4,500 people there will always be at least one individual who is likely to misbehave, either through stupidity, inebriation, exuberance or some sort of misplaced political gesture like you describe. I think we have all been stupid, drunk, overly exuberant at some point, too. I recall the absolute screamer Ronan scored against Rangers and the guy invading the pitch. There but for the grace of God, btw. 

Folk who try to shame any support based on the actions of an individual are just point scoring. The club can never control all the thousands of indiciduals who pass through the turnstiles, and that goes for any club. 

FWIW, I think that even abusing an Israeli Jew on account of his country's actions is ridiculous,  but then aren't Russian sportsmen and football clubs being denied opportunities on account of the fact they're Russian? Football will always be political to some extent. 

Anyway, that's all I have to say on that! Let's hope we get a result against Dundee at the weekend. We're essentially safe now, so can start to play without the pressure. Predictions for the game? I'm thinking a draw.

4 hours ago, Uncle Scan said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I remember he was getting stick when he was down in the Championship getting gubbed by Raith Rovers 7-0

For anyone lucky enough not to have been there that day. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/international/nostalgia-raith-rovers-seven-goal-blitz-began-glory-years-2541518%3famp

Imagine feeling the need to red dot a post where I point out those of non-white ethnicity face racist abuse, whether that be casual, unintentional or overt on a daily basis.

Perhaps @Mr. Smith would like to explain what has outraged them to the extent that they wish to deny the findings of those who are experts in the field.

f**k me. A complete  tin foil hat conspiracy about made up racism of a player, despite no actual racial abuse ever actually being reported at a game by his own fans, all the while umpteen posters have presented and put forward valid arguments as to why fans have been on his case.

How in the f**k is this batshit wild accusation - which quite frankly should have been removed  by now - still getting discussed almost 24 hours later?

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Imagine feeling the need to red dot a post where I point out those of non-white ethnicity face racist abuse, whether that be casual, unintentional or overt on a daily basis.

Perhaps @Mr. Smith would like to explain what has outraged them to the extent that they wish to deny the findings of those who are experts in the field.

Firstly, show some evidence before insinuating the club, or its fans, are racist - presumably you're suggesting 'covertly' or 'unintentionally' so?

If someone racially abuses another person, then that's clearly bad. It's an immutable characteristic. But talk of microaggressions and 'white privilege', etc, is simply nonsense, IMHO. However, this is the wrong thread. Go to the politics forum if you want to discuss that stuff, please.

Edited by Mr. Smith

I don’t think anyone has suggested Erhahon has been subject to verbal abuse from home fans that actually uses racist language. I thought the theory being put out is that because of his colour, he has received more of the ‘you’re shite, get tae’ fcuk’ type of stuff, than perhaps some other, playing equally poorly, players might receive? I suppose that would be absolutely racist, but only the individual shouting it would know if they were targeting Erhahon over Power or Main, or anyone else, based on anything more than misplaced passes or missed tackles etc. 

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t think anyone has suggested Erhahon has been subject to verbal abuse from home fans that actually uses racist language. I thought the theory being put out is that because of his colour, he has received more of the ‘you’re shite, get tae’ fcuk’ type of stuff, than perhaps some other, playing equally poorly, players might receive? I suppose that would be absolutely racist, but only the individual shouting it would know if they were targeting Erhahon over Power or Main, or anyone else, based on anything more than misplaced passes or missed tackles etc. 

Firstly, how does anybody know that Erhahon has received more abuse than Main? Even if @Ric hears it at the ground, unless he has bionic hearing, how can he possibly determine whether the small section of the stadium in which he sits is representative of the feelings of the entire support?

Also, could it not be to do with expectations? When Main gets the ball, I expect him to lose possession, miscue his pass or fluff his shot. There's no disappointment there, because I have literally no expectations of him. 

So, my point is that Ric has no data on which to base his accusation that our club or our fans are crypto-racists, and secondly how can he possibly know what motivates somebody else to shout abuse? So to malign the club, or our fans (we're fan owned, so the club) with a baseless accusation like this, is outrageous, to be honest.

Edited by Mr. Smith

I think we can all agree that Main and Erwin were comfortably our worst players this season.

Erhahon has been poor, he's been dispappointing for the majority of the campaign. However, he hasn't come anywere near the levels of shite of the previosuly mentioned Main and Erwin and, certainly where I sit, has had absolutely nowhere near as much dog's abuse as those two  have had either. I'd even add McAllister to the list ahead of Erhahon on both the levels of shiteness and abuse received.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

14 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

So, my point is that Ric has no data on which to base his accusation that our club or our fans are crypto-racists, and secondly how can he possibly know what motivates somebody else to shout abuse? So to malign the club, or our fans (we're fan owned, so the club) with a baseless accusation like this, is outrageous, to be honest.

He didn't do that. Nobody has done that from what I've read. There's a difference between discussing an idea in the abstract and making accusations. The former is all that's been happening. This topic was actually discussed in the Livi thread not long ago so I know it can cause misunderstanding. Genuinely, you don't need to worry, I don't see any bad faith here and some disagreement is fine. 

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I think we can all agree that Main and Erwin were comfortably our worst players this season.

Erhahon has been poor, he's been dispappointing for the majority of the campaign. However, he hasn't come anywere near the levels of shite of the previosuly mentioned Main and Erwin and, certainly where I sit, has had absolutely nowhere near as much dog's abuse as those two  have had either. I'd even add McAllister to the list ahead of Erhahon on both the levels of shiteness and abus received.

From my observation, it's definitely Main who gets the most abuse. I will never understand somebody shouting "Yet shite, Main! Get tae f**k" or whatever. It won't inspire him, he won't "get tae f**k" of his own volition, either. Not on the wage he's (allegedly) on. I can only conclude that the heckler must be frustrated. Top tip - when Main receives the ball, close your eyes and inhale for three seconds, hold your breath for three seconds and slowly exhale and then open your eyes. By the end of that exercise, the opposition will be in possession of the ball and quite possibly mounting an attack...but you will have experienced a fleeting sense of inner peace. :)

17 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

From my observation, it's definitely Main who gets the most abuse. I will never understand somebody shouting "Yet shite, Main! Get tae f**k" or whatever. It won't inspire him, he won't "get tae f**k" of his own volition, either. Not on the wage he's (allegedly) on. I can only conclude that the heckler must be frustrated. Top tip - when Main receives the ball, close your eyes and inhale for three seconds, hold your breath for three seconds and slowly exhale and then open your eyes. By the end of that exercise, the opposition will be in possession of the ball and quite possibly mounting an attack...but you will have experienced a fleeting sense of inner peace. :)

Definitely agree with this. What good can come from hurling abuse at one of your own players? It makes zero sense. I've never felt the need to do it. Even the really shite guys, I usually just end up feeling sorry for.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Definitely agree with this. What good can come from hurling abuse at one of your own players? It makes zero sense. I've never felt the need to do it. Even the really shite guys, I usually just end up feeling sorry for.

Except Kyle Hutton.

f**k Kyle Hutton.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Except Kyle Hutton.

f**k Kyle Hutton.

I was trying to think of possible exceptions. He's a decent shout.

Most of them tend to be ones who've gone on to be p***ks after they've left. I feel like Stuart "Get Carswell On" Carswell has been a bit of a p***k on social media since leaving. Doug Imrie was also annoying and got worse after he left.

But I still wouldn't boo an active Saints player because fundamentally we still want/need them to play well for us.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I agree abusing your own player does no good but I'll admit to the G&S option "What never - hardly ever".

That we are still in negotiations with some players at the club according to the manager is interesting too.  McCarthy and Grieve extending would be a win.  The rest seem likely to be off already.

"We're in negotiations with numerous players both at the club and elsewhere as we look to add to what is a good core of players."

I don't think fans necessarily plan on 'abusing' players to be honest. I believe a lot of what is exerted is down to frustration from players being unable to do the basics correctly or not putting the required effort into the game. It'll come out automatically before they realise. You could argue even that shouldn't be happening but watching some of the 90 mins we've been subjected to this season, it would be incredibly hard not to bellow some form of frustration from the stand at times.

Obviously, there are more than a few morons in our fanbase but I reckon the majority fine. I've never really heard anything ridiculous shouted at games from our fans to our own players.