The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, FTOF said:

Goodwin, for the most part, failed to get a tune out of any of the strikers that he signed.

Maybe Robinson can be successful where Goodwin failed, when it comes to Main. Brophy too, if I'm being greedy.

I know it's unlikely, but I live in hope.

Unless another team is going to pick Main up at the end of the season he'll be with us next season. For me, he starts with a clean slate next season.

You are right. We have had to rely on Main because the other strikers were not performing or injured.

You are also right that we are stuck with him for next season. I feel Robinson "thinks" he can be successful with Main, but that's the problem with "thinking", next he'll be "thinking" he can plant a feather and grow a chicken.

His record speaks for itself, and he is no youth player, this is a man nearly in his 30s (heh, not that that is old, of course!) and has struggled to score goals every single club he's been at. Every single one. He has not scored double figures in his entire career. It's as I said in my last post, I really despair at people defending Main, whether that is a fan or a manager. In fact the latter is all the more frustrating.

This might all sound like a hatchet job on Main, it's not, I am sure he's just a normal guy trying to earn a living doing something he likes. Sadly the world doesn't work like that, and if you can't do the job you are hired for, they should be shifted out pretty pronto. I have no issue with him personally, I wish him well, just not at St Mirren.

My main hope is that Brophy and Greive create a partnership, leaving Main on the bench almost permanently, with players like Jaimieson or Offord  being given the opportunity should it arise. The problem, imo, is that Robinson will mangle to team in an attempt to fit Main in despite it being clear Main is not capable of scoring more than a handful of goals a season at best, and drawing a complete blank like he has this season.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

It would be great if yesterday's solid, if unspectacular performance allowed the players a confidence boost for the rest of the season.

I think it's possible, but not probable, based on the shitshow of a season that we've had so far.

I know and after the recent run it would be understandable to put on the beach gear and wonder why it gets that little bit tighter each year but I'm one of those guys who obsesses about the little things.

Hopefully Robinson has finally got to grips with the squad he inherited and feels the need to finish as high as possible before he rebuilds for next season - just checked the table & Livi are 5 points ahead of us so it's unlikely but make it so Mr Nosnibor .

Edited by btb

AmaIng what one result can do. Absolutely no reason why we should be targeting minimum 4 points from next 2 games, and if we have managed that no reason why we can’t get a result at Aberdeen either, granted it was only 5 minute highlights but they didn’t look great vs Dundee yesterday.

Bit early to speculate about next season however yesterday's formation and tactics shows promise.

We were far more attacking than we have been all season. We got the ball up the pitch constantly with few pass backs. Only once that I can remember the ball ending up back at Alnwick when players ran out of ideas (and that was from Fraser). Getting rid of two wingers was also a great move. All season we have played with two wide men so wide they were rarely in the game; didn't support the midfield; and never got close enough to support the lone striker and usually hit hopeful crosses to the far corner flag. Yesterday we were hitting low balls into the box which are far, far more effective. And playing with one defensive midfielder and one creative central midfielder gave us more fight and thrust in the middle of the park with Ronan dictating play. And of course two strikers with Kiltie playing off them made us far more attacking and kept the ball up the park a lot more than usual.

So the formation and tactics were a huge plus for me. A far more effective and entertaining way to play football. Just need the right players to carry it off next season.

I know how this will sound but I genuinely wouldn't read too much into yesterday due to how bad we were. Dundee ripped us apart last week too and we've eveb had Kelty comfortably dispatch us and look like scoring more than one.

In saying that you could see you have a good squad that's just been destroyed of confidence, so gaining that back before the Summer break could be vital to next season for you.

10 minutes ago, geo87 said:

AmaIng what one result can do. Absolutely no reason why we should be targeting minimum 4 points from next 2 games, and if we have managed that no reason why we can’t get a result at Aberdeen either, granted it was only 5 minute highlights but they didn’t look great vs Dundee yesterday.

6 points would mean we match last season's total of 45 points. Fairly meaningless but it's a target of sorts.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know how this will sound but I genuinely wouldn't read too much into yesterday due to how bad we were. Dundee ripped us apart last week too and we've eveb had Kelty comfortably dispatch us and look like scoring more than one.

In saying that you could see you have a good squad that's just been destroyed of confidence, so gaining that back before the Summer break could be vital to next season for you.

Aye, can't get too worked up yet. The only 2 teams we have beat recently are the 2 below us. We haven't really looked like beating anyone else. But the most important thing is we did win they 2 games or it could have been far much worse.

Not to talk down our win as it was greatly appreciated, StJohnstone were piss poor, again. If Hendry scores his chance we'd have lost.

What's the script with his contract, is it up in the summer? I don't think I'd mind seeing him sign for us. Proper niggly shite but can score goals.

11 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

So we've almost certainly avoided relegation! But two wins in nine games, both by a single goal against the worst performing sides in the league, is terrible form. However, it's clear he's staying so I will have to live with that. 

Pretty much where I stand as well , he's bought himself time with that win yesterday , I remain unconvinced . He'll now get his chance to bring his own team in , there will be no excuses next season !

I thought we looked so much better without Power in midfeild. His performances have flown under the radar a bit because the St Mirren dad's were more focused on abusing Erhahon at every available opportunity, but he's been terrible. Gogic and Ronan worked so much better.

Very disappointed Gogic won’t be hanging around. He is a very underrated player.

I always liked him when I saw him at Accies. Granted he wasn’t great for Hibs, but the amount of running and loose balls he mops up can decide games. His tracking back of opposition midfield runners is unreal. The boy has a massive engine. Shame we can’t convince him to stay.

Yesterday was comfortably the best I have ever seen Main play. That said, I still want to see him emptied in the summer. You can’t convince me that Kieran Offord or Lewis Jamieson couldn’t contribute at least as much as Main has this season. 

40 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

What's the script with his contract, is it up in the summer? I don't think I'd mind seeing him sign for us. Proper niggly shite but can score goals.

Yeah up this Summer and zero chance he stays if Callum Davidson does, so he'll be off.

He's sorted his discipline out so he'll be a superb striker for this level, whoever gets him next has won a watch.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Sitting quite happily watching Everton v Chelsea, then the Everton ‘purple zone’ seats appear in shot beside Frank Lampard. Brrrrr. No need for that. None.

5B270FB3-D5B3-4864-8876-FCFE19156122.jpeg

"I don't actually mind Everton it won't offend me if they stay u.... FFFFUCK get them down."

6 hours ago, billyg said:

Pretty much where I stand as well , he's bought himself time with that win yesterday , I remain unconvinced . He'll now get his chance to bring his own team in , there will be no excuses next season !

Given time and his own team I reckon he will be the best manager we have had in the top league in decades Billy time will tell.  I seen green shoots against Hibs the players are starting to get what Robinson wants from them. Have family season ticket holders at Morecambe they were very impressed with Robinson.  

If we win / St Johnstone don't on Saturday then the Livingston fixture following will be the first time we've had the luxury of a "dead rubber" (Premiership status secured) game to watch in person for 8 years. 

Since then it's been relegation, Championship football, Dundee United penalties and covid disruption.

The game in 2014 was the final of the season, 1-1 v Hearts, and Danny Lennon was removed from his post 2 days later. The Saints team was:

Dilo, Naismith (DVZ), Kelly, Goodwin, McGregor, McAusland, Teale (McGowan), Newton (McGinn), Magennis, McLean, Wylde.

Sitting quite happily watching Everton v Chelsea, then the Everton ‘purple zone’ seats appear in shot beside Frank Lampard. Brrrrr. No need for that. None.

5B270FB3-D5B3-4864-8876-FCFE19156122.thumb.jpeg.d8a03bb62ec33f8dab5a83f6325010c1.jpeg

Amazing how quickly you can go from wanting Everton to win, to considering whether they should be liquidated.

21 minutes ago, codfish said:

Amazing how quickly you can go from wanting Everton to win, to considering whether they should be liquidated.

It's fine, they might be happy with today's win but Stubbs has just persuaded fat Frank to sign Josh Heaton and Cole Kpekewa.