The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Carson would be a brilliant replacement for Alnwick. I'd actually go as far as saying I think Carson is the superior keeper.

That one is definitely done. Robinson said as much on Saturday without naming him, unless Morecambe have several internationalist goalies.

29 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Dundee would be better signing him seeing as they'll soon need snookers.

Just had to delete a post because I made near enough the same joke without reading all of the thread.

Something that a lot of folk overlook is that our decent form coincided with Kiltie being played at number 10. Ronan was operating in a wider/roaming role. Kiltie was a revelation and it looked like his time had come. He was dangerous and creative.

As far as I know, Kiltie has yet to be played in that position since Robinson came in. He's been wide, benched or unavailable.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Loads of rumours on social media that Steve Davis is the 3rd player. Can't see it myself.

Think the initial rumour comes from here:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/steven-davis-former-rangers-team-mate-gives-contract-timeline-hint-and-shuts-down-st-mirren-move-idea-3661924

it reads more that the caller was suggesting it as an option, rather than there being a link.

26 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just had to delete a post because I made near enough the same joke without reading all of the thread.

Something that a lot of folk overlook is that our decent form coincided with Kiltie being played at number 10. Ronan was operating in a wider/roaming role. Kiltie was a revelation and it looked like his time had come. He was dangerous and creative.

As far as I know, Kiltie has yet to be played in that position since Robinson came in. He's been wide, benched or unavailable.

Excellent point. He's been a massive miss.

18 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

One issue that may be related to our downturn in fortunes is Junior Mendes (Sports Science) leaving for Hearts.

I also believe we don’t have a physio in place. 

Let’s not underestimate the importance of these roles in the club especially working with a small squad. 

That's also another good point. There's been a lot of change at the club in a short space of time.

Never mind a rocket, you could put an nuclear missile up the backside of the players but the reality is a lot of them don't care as they know they will not be employed by SMFC in literally weeks so they are not going to give a shit regardless of whose in charge. It's impossible to motivate guys that couldn't care less and it's that unpalatable fact that enrages supporters who by their being supporters care deeply. Folk will cite personal pride but this is football, it's a mercenary business and the sad fact is we appear to have too many who have simply downed tools to reverse this spiral of defeat. I assume the club thought we were safe when the manager went public with the news several contracted players were on the road out. Add in those about to be out of contract and it's the perfect shit storm. It's nothing to do with tactics or ability, we know these guys (well probably except Main) are capable of better so it all boils down to attitude and unfortunately these guys aren't playing for OUR club regardless of who is charged with motivating them.

Difficult to know if the public contract talk was Robinson shooting from the hip or him saying publicly what had been agreed at board level. Without that knowledge it's difficult to know who to lay the blame at. Imo this will only become apparent if we stick or twist. If we persist I will see that as the club sanctioning his actions but if we pull the trigger I think that shows they lay the blame for the demotivation with Robinson.

Either way tickets bought for Perth as unlike the players I do care. Perhaps some backing might be enough to get those players who are still putting it all in to drag us over the line regardless. We can but hope.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Danny Mullen is a decent squad player, you know what you'll get with him. He scored some very important goals and some absolute screamers. As has been said, he doesn't score anywhere near enough goals though. I'd have him ahead of Main and Grieve.

Definitely better than Main, but I think Greive has much more potential than Mullen, but he needs a consistent run of games.

5 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Definitely better than Main, but I think Greive has much more potential than Mullen, but he needs a consistent run of games.

Yeah, I think that's fair. We've not seen enough of Greive, he absolutely could develop into a better player than Mullen. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That one is definitely done. Robinson said as much on Saturday without naming him, unless Morecambe have several internationalist goalies.

It's definitely done if we stay up. The three players concerned have agreed PCAs on Premiership wages , which they wont be getting if we go down. The management contract is also affected by a relegation clause,  resulting in a much reduced salary !

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is a good player.

I’m assuming you rate him but I’m also suspicious that your taking the piss. To be fair  I don’t know anything about the player, so maybe you’ve seen him in action and can tell us more.

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m assuming you rate him but I’m also suspicious that your taking the piss. To be fair  I don’t know anything about the player, so maybe you’ve seen him in action and can tell us more.

• Midfielder Keanu Baccus plays for Western Sydney Wanderers and has played in the vast majority of their A-League Men games in 2021/2022, making 18 appearances overall and playing 1,558 minutes. He has been selected in the starting XI in all 18 of these appearances across their 23 fixtures.
  • The last league game that Baccus played came on April 24 for Western Sydney Wanderers against Wellington Phoenix; a game that he played 75 minutes in during a 1-0 loss. In total, he has scored one A-League Men goal this term, and provided three assists. He has amassed five yellow cards.
  • His opening goal of the campaign came in the 2-0 victory against Sydney on March 5.
  • Next up for Western Sydney Wanderers in the league - who are in 10th position in the standings on 25 points - is a trip to Perth Glory on April 30.
  • In last season's A-League Men, Baccus featured in 25 games for Western Sydney Wanderers, scored one goal and provided four assists.

And a  cheeky wee goal...  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=170185768238201

It's good on one level to see that our league position isn't preventing us from preparing for next season. I do wish I felt as confident/safe as the club apparently does, but they deserve credit for not sitting on their hands while we repeatedly fail to secure safety.

10 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

He doesn't even appear to have a Youtube compilation. Must be shite. 😀

Edited by Coventry Saint

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's good on one level to see that our league position isn't preventing us from preparing for next season. I do wish I felt as confident/safe as the club apparently does, but they deserve credit for not sitting on their hands while we repeatedly fail to secure safety.

I take it the new signings' wages will be affordable if the worst does happen?