The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

A point more or less ends our involvement realistically. A 5 point swing in the last 3 matches will be too big for St. Johnstone to turn over.

That being said, our history in must win/must not lose matches and our record in Perth combines to give me the fear in this one.

54 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don’t want Robinson to fail. I’m firmly of the opinion that he’s inherited a squad that was on a decent run of 8 games unbeaten, but they’ve just completely lost all momentum and capitulated in spectacular fashion. 

Just like that, eh?!

It just happened to coincide with Robinson's appointment...but it's nothing more than bad luck

If we lose to you guys then our seriously intolerant fans will be screaming for him to be sacked. 

0.375 points per game. That's Robinson's record! It seems to me that you think tolerating failure is somehow noble.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

Just like that, eh?!

It just happened to coincide with Robinson's appointment...but it's nothing more than bad luck

0.375 points per game. That's Robinson's record! It seems to me that you think tolerating failure is somehow noble.

What are you suggesting? Sack the manager & assistant manager tomorrow morning? Who would you put in charge for the remaining four games? Don’t get me wrong, I think Robinson has been fcuking terrible so far on many levels - PR, engagement with the fans, post match interviews, team selection, tactics, substitutions, formations, and Curtis Main. I still don’t think we should sack him. Jim Goodwin and Jack Ross got off to dreadful starts with us. Goodwin at times actually looked drained, physically drained. Should we have sacked Goodwin and Ross after nine games? We just can’t act that way. Like it or not, we need to hope that between them, the management and players have enough about them to scrape survival. It might require blind faith, a prayer to your god of choice, or hoping a couple of other teams fcuk up their results too, but that’s where we are I’m afraid.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What are you suggesting? Sack the manager & assistant manager tomorrow morning? Who would you put in charge for the remaining four games? Don’t get me wrong, I think Robinson has been fcuking terrible so far on many levels - PR, engagement with the fans, post match interviews, team selection, tactics, substitutions, formations, and Curtis Main. I still don’t think we should sack him. Jim Goodwin and Jack Ross got off to dreadful starts with us. Goodwin at times actually looked drained, physically drained. Should we have sacked Goodwin and Ross after nine games? We just can’t act that way. Like it or not, we need to hope that between them, the management and players have enough about them to scrape survival. It might require blind faith, a prayer to your god of choice, or hoping a couple of other teams fcuk up their results too, but that’s where we are I’m afraid.

I don't think the comparison with Goodwin or Jack Ross is a fair one. Jack had a woeful start but the team he inherited was awful, some of those lads wouldn't have got a game at the Racecourse. 

Goodwin came in and had to try and build a squad in a short space of time. 

Robinson took over a decent squad in a great run of form. We'd lost once in 11 games (at Ibrox). He's proceded to lost 8 out of 9. His tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. I've not called for him to be sacked but I think Saturday is the crunch. Lose to St Johnstone and his time is up for me. 

Edited by houston_bud

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That's exactly what I am suggesting, aye. I'd replace him with an interim management team consisting of Jamie Langfield, Tony Fitzpatrick, youth coaches, whoever is available.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” - Einstein.

Enough's enough. If we lose on Saturday we have a demoralised team on a terrible run and with just two points separating us and St. Johnstone (who would have 3 wins from 5 games).

It's not working with Robinson. We might 'get lucky', but with an average of 0.375 points per game so far, the chances are not good. 

Here's the thing: if the players haven't responded well to Robinson and are worried about their future, getting shot of him now might give them the lift they need. Let's do it now! Give the interim management team five days to work with them. I think Fitzy would be up for it, and I think the players would respond well to them. Otherwise, get on your knees and pray "we come good" & "get some luck". With Main up front we'd need it. I'd genuinely play someone out of position (Henderson? Ronan?) or an emerging talent from the youth squad (assuming we can register them).

11 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” - Einstein.

True. So why the f**k you suggesting Tony as interim manager? He was terrible twice 😂

10 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

True. So why the f**k you suggesting Tony as interim manager? He was terrible twice 😂

As part of a team I think he could enthuse the lads and give them some confidence.

Ach, I give up. I know nothing will happen, and it seems even if we finish one point above St. Johnstone, that will be considered mission accomplished and we can give Robinson a budget to waste and get relegated next year. nine games is enough, IMHO. Any more and we're just squandering the opportunity to collect valuable points.

I'd truly love to be wrong about Robinson, btw, and I'll be there next season if we're in the Championship. But this is insane.

There is a myth that we were a good side and Robinson has fecked it up. Look at the side before Christmas we were shocking and Goodwin was on a shaky peg. 

We got lucky with a change in tactics and some confidence.  Who is to say if Goodwin had stayed we would not have slid down the table. 

Goodwin has Aberdeen on a downer and their fans are not happy either. 

Changing a manager does not always bring instant success.  Lampard at Everton is another example. 

Robinson needs time. His own team and a pre-season. Our aim is to stick with it try get through and see where we go next season. 

I have see enough managers come and go we just need to hang in there. 

You can moan about Robinson mentioning it as an excuse, but we've got f**k all players at the squad to give options right now, and that's on goody and the board.

Hard to be a tactical mastermind if you can only switch 2 or 3 things at most, and it's mostly like for like.

Combine our poor form with our easy to predict squad and formations, it's no wonder teams are tearing us apart at times.

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

There is a myth that we were a good side and Robinson has fecked it up. Look at the side before Christmas we were shocking and Goodwin was on a shaky peg. 

We got lucky with a change in tactics and some confidence.  Who is to say if Goodwin had stayed we would not have slid down the table.  

Goodwin has Aberdeen on a downer and their fans are not happy either. 

Changing a manager does not always bring instant success.  Lampard at Everton is another example. 

Robinson needs time. His own team and a pre-season. Our aim is to stick with it try get through and see where we go next season. 

I have see enough managers come and go we just need to hang in there. 

We might very well have slipped down the table but I'm certain we wouldn't have lost 8 out of 9 games with Goodwin in charge. 

I have some sympathy with Robinson, but I don't buy the 'this is on Goodwin' patter. We'd have been well clear of 11th had he stayed. 

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

We might very well have slipped down the table but I'm certain we wouldn't have lost 8 out of 9 games with Goodwin in charge. 

I have some sympathy with Robinson, but I don't buy the 'this is on Goodwin' patter. We'd have been well clear of 11th had he stayed. 

You cannot say that for certain. We couldn't buy a win in the 11 games before Christmas. We work with what we have and go again. 

19 minutes ago, AW saint said:

You cannot say that for certain. We couldn't buy a win in the 11 games before Christmas. We work with what we have and go again. 

What I can say for certain is we lost 7 in 31 under JG , and we've lost 8 in 9 under SR . There is no doubt we would have been well safe by now if  we'd avoided Robinson. 

10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Of course it cannot be said for certain. But this was the league table after Jim's last league game:

421053631_Screenshot2022-04-2422_11_18.png.d1125db7611b71a02420aa9fd6eae053.png

We were in sixth place, with a game in hand over most other clubs.

Jim amassed 32 points in 25 games - giving him an average of 1.28 points per game (PPG).

Let's say that we went through a bit of a bad patch and only averaged 0.8 PPG from the last eight fixtures, which is (more than) six points. That would mean we'd be eight points clear of St. Johnstone now, with four games left to play. If he'd continued to achieve 1.28 points per game, we'd have collected another ten points and would have made the top six.

1 hour ago, Mr. Smith said:

That's exactly what I am suggesting, aye. I'd replace him with an interim management team consisting of Jamie Langfield, Tony Fitzpatrick, youth coaches, whoever is available.

Enough's enough. If we lose on Saturday we have a demoralised team on a terrible run and with just two points separating us and St. Johnstone (who would have 3 wins from 5 games).

It's not working with Robinson. We might 'get lucky', but with an average of 0.375 points per game so far, the chances are not good. 

Here's the thing: if the players haven't responded well to Robinson and are worried about their future, getting shot of him now might give them the lift they need. Let's do it now! Give the interim management team five days to work with them. I think Fitzy would be up for it, and I think the players would respond well to them. Otherwise, get on your knees and pray "we come good" & "get some luck". With Main up front we'd need it. I'd genuinely play someone out of position (Henderson? Ronan?) or an emerging talent from the youth squad (assuming we can register them).

Sack the management team after 9 games and replace them ahead of a crunch game at Perth with Jamie Langfield, the recently retired CEO, the youth coaches, and whoever else is available.….

I think Tommy Docherty, Campbell Kennedy and Paisley Panda are free this weekend.

…I’ll admit defeat right now. Yes, we should absolutely sack Robinson with immediate effect and adopt this cunning plan.

Edited by pozbaird

40 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Defensively, I do blame Goodwin. I think I mentioned many months ago that the decision to run with 6 defenders in the squad when you play 5 at the back every week is ludicrous. Particularly as one of those was coming off the back of 2 years of injuries.

He seemed to balance that somewhat with the signing of Matt Millar but Millar seems to be so far out of the picture he may as well be back in Australia. He apparently been injured for weeks and weeks but I get the impression that even if he wasn't he'd not even get a shout.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

…I’ll admit defeat right now. Yes, we should absolutely sack Robinson with immediate effect and adopt this cunning plan.

It worked before , sacked a manager who had won the SC less than 12 months previously. We were staring relegation in the face , appointed two players on interim basis , won last two games , stayed up !

Just now, billyg said:

It worked before , sacked a manager who had won the SC less than 12 months previously. We were staring relegation in the face , appointed two players on interim basis , won last two games , stayed up !

Gets my vote. New dream team of Brenton, Steve and Dom fae’ The Repair Shop. 😎

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Sack the managenent team after 9 games and replace them ahead of a crunch game at Perth with Jamie Langfield, the recently retired CEO, the youth coaches, and whoever else is available.….

I think Tommy Docherty, Campbell Kennedy and Paisley Panda are free this weekend.

Well your 'cunning plan' is to continue with a man who has taken 3 points from 24 available (0.375 PPG). Jamie Langfield's sole game in charge this season at least won us a point...

I'd take Paisley Panda in all honestly.

Bad news for the Main haters but Brophy went off injured...,again.
When he has previously been injured he has missed several games. If that happens again then it leaves the club with only 2 strikers, Main and Grieve.
I assume we'll hear tomorrow about the injuries to Brophy and Tait and we have to hope they're not serious because we couldn't even fill the bench before yesterdays game (only 7 subs including 2 keepers).

You can moan about Robinson mentioning it as an excuse, but we've got f**k all players at the squad to give options right now, and that's on goody and the board.
Hard to be a tactical mastermind if you can only switch 2 or 3 things at most, and it's mostly like for like.
Combine our poor form with our easy to predict squad and formations, it's no wonder teams are tearing us apart at times.

I get it that these days contracts are fairly tight, so when they are out on loan that is them for the length of time. The way they are written up means the club loaning them is not left without players if you try to recall them, but letting all the young players go was foolish on the board and or Goodwin.

What I find more tough with it is we are not a club with loads of cash and we really need to be focusing on young players to come through, apart from Henderson and the few appearances from Reid, what young players were being given a chance by Goodwin? If not getting the chance, the BOD are better then getting them out with the chance to maybe get something for them?!

Getting them all out has 100% messed up the balance as well as the signing only players to fit a shite formation of 352.