The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

36 minutes ago, Lex said:

Anyone know why our new CEO/COO hasn't been appointed yet? We knew Tony was retiring in January, in an ideal world his replacement would have been announced before he left and there would have been some overlap to allow for an orderly transition. Not only did that not happen, it's now two weeks since Tony left and the club is going through a vital time both on and off the pitch with this role being vacant.

Why?

He hasn’t really left. Plus, people serve notice periods. Perhaps the chosen candidate is working theirs now.

21 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

At the start of every season, all I really want from St Mirren is to stay up and provide at least a few decent games to enjoy on the season ticket.

For the former: 5 games to go (3 at home), sitting 6 points above the play-off place and 11 above the relegation place.... it's not safety but we have margin for error whereas the 2 teams below don't really. The wee break will do us good I think, Alnwick will return and I reckon Jones / Ronan / Brophy will step up to help us get the points we need.

For the latter, (value for money on the ST): it felt like there was just a succession of dire games through the autumn in Paisley: 0-0 St J, 0-0 D. Utd, 0-0 County, 0-1 Dundee. There's been the odd decent win thrown in too (Aberdeen 3-2) but surely Robinson's team next season can provide better? 

Top 6...... unless you get into Europe, well, who really cares? Goodwin said it was the lowest he'd been in football missing out last year and Ross County were celebrating on Saturday like they'd won the league. Bizarre. Well done to the SPFL in bringing in a bit of spice which wouldn't otherwise exist but it's, ultimately, pretty meaningless. Personally, I'm happy that the Old Firm won't be visiting again and I'll instead see us up against a team we're more capable of beating.

Maybe those running clubs like St Mirren and Motherwell when it’s a potential loss or gain of hundreds of thousands.

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Maybe those running clubs like St Mirren and Motherwell when it’s a potential loss or gain of hundreds of thousands.

Always felt a bit grimy to me taking pleasure in hanging off the financial coat-tails of the Old Firm. As said previously, I keenly await the day when they ride off into the sunset. Then those running our clubs will learn to live without their fans' gate receipts and the dregs of the TV money. As far as St Mirren are concerned, we live within our means financially so no big deal. 

Anyone know why our new CEO/COO hasn't been appointed yet? We knew Tony was retiring in January, in an ideal world his replacement would have been announced before he left and there would have been some overlap to allow for an orderly transition. Not only did that not happen, it's now two weeks since Tony left and the club is going through a vital time both on and off the pitch with this role being vacant.
Why?
Looks like it's Lasley per the persistent rumours right enough

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/keith-lasley-set-motherwell-exit-26708191

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I wonder where Keith Lasley has built up the business acumen that was supposed to be so crucial for the COO role. Anyway, good luck to him.  

I wonder where Keith Lasley has built up the business acumen that was supposed to be so crucial for the COO role. Anyway, good luck to him.  
A Sports Management degree makes him better qualified than the previous incumbent.

4 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

No doubt it does but I had, mistakenly, thought the board wanted someone with business experience. Anyway, good luck to him. 

Looks like you're mistakenly thinking that Lasley doesn't have any "business experience".

31 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Looks like you're mistakenly thinking that Lasley doesn't have any "business experience".

That’s good to hear he has the right level of business experience to drive improvements at the Club. I didn’t know about this - any idea what business experience he has?

Anyway, good luck to him. 

Good luck to anyone who gets a job at St Mirren. Lasley, Robinson, Alan Provan doing the merch’, a new player, anyone. Everyone gets a fair go in my opinion. I thought, for example, Stubbs looked a good appointment at the time, as did Djemba Djemba or Mo Camara. Both should have been capable of at least adding something, which they failed to do, while an unknown like Stelios came in and actually added a lot. Anyway, point being, everyone deserves a fair go… but if they turn out to be a Stubbs, their arse shouldn’t touch Greenhill Road until they can smell the aviation fuel from the airport. I reckon Robinson is currently getting a waft heading his way right now. 🤐

Record Sport understands a compensation package has been agreed between the clubs, with Lasley set to take the reins in Paisley at the end of this campaign.

Graham Alexander was happy to keep him on and Lasley penned a new one year deal last summer to bring him in line with the boss and fellow assistant Chris Lucketti.

But with that deal close to expiring he finally appears set to move on.

So is Lasley's Motherwell deal about to expire or have we agreed a compensation package with them? It can't be both, surely.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

7 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

So is Lasley's Motherwell deal about to expire or have we agreed a compensation package with them? It can't be both, surely.

I’m sure Motherwell are paying for his qualification. The compensation might be something to do with that? Not 100% sure though.

28 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

His deal expires in 2023.

He signed an extension last year to bring him in line with Alexander and Lucketti (which was originally 2023, Alexander's since extended to 2025https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/07/16/keith-lasley-signs-new-contract/

His original deal was up this year. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/07/18/management-duo-extend-their-stay/

Edited by capt_oats

40 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

That’s good to hear he has the right level of business experience to drive improvements at the Club. I didn’t know about this - any idea what business experience he has?

Anyway, good luck to him. 

No problem.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

His deal expires in 2023.

He signed an extension last year to bring him in line with Alexander and Lucketti (which was originally 2023, Alexander's since extended to 2025https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/07/16/keith-lasley-signs-new-contract/

His original deal was up this year. https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/07/18/management-duo-extend-their-stay/

Off the field, your club does most things right, IMO. Absolute beacon in terms of comms and other fan initiatives. I can only hope he brings some of that with him.

Seems like a smart move. Knows Scottish football inside out and has been a player, coach and assistant manager. The Robinson link will help too.

Reading this (published in January) it sounds like he's still in the middle of doing his "Sports Directorship" course: https://www.mfc1886.com/category/blog/

Edited by Buttocks Brown