The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Biscuits said:

30th April is giving me the fear

As long as we don't lose ground the week before it'll be fine. If we go into that with a six point lead, even if we lose we have the chance to rectify it with two home games against Dundee and Livi.

At the start of every season, all I really want from St Mirren is to stay up and provide at least a few decent games to enjoy on the season ticket.

For the former: 5 games to go (3 at home), sitting 6 points above the play-off place and 11 above the relegation place.... it's not safety but we have margin for error whereas the 2 teams below don't really. The wee break will do us good I think, Alnwick will return and I reckon Jones / Ronan / Brophy will step up to help us get the points we need.

For the latter, (value for money on the ST): it felt like there was just a succession of dire games through the autumn in Paisley: 0-0 St J, 0-0 D. Utd, 0-0 County, 0-1 Dundee. There's been the odd decent win thrown in too (Aberdeen 3-2) but surely Robinson's team next season can provide better? 

Top 6...... unless you get into Europe, well, who really cares? Goodwin said it was the lowest he'd been in football missing out last year and Ross County were celebrating on Saturday like they'd won the league. Bizarre. Well done to the SPFL in bringing in a bit of spice which wouldn't otherwise exist but it's, ultimately, pretty meaningless. Personally, I'm happy that the Old Firm won't be visiting again and I'll instead see us up against a team we're more capable of beating.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

12 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

At the start of every season, all I really want from St Mirren is to stay up and provide at least a few decent games to enjoy on the season ticket.

For the former: 5 games to go (3 at home), sitting 6 points above the play-off place and 11 above the relegation place.... it's not safety but we have margin for error whereas the 2 teams below don't really. The wee break will do us good I think, Alnwick will return and I reckon Jones / Ronan / Brophy will step up to help us get the points we need.

For the latter, (value for money on the ST): it felt like there was just a succession of dire games through the autumn in Paisley: 0-0 St J, 0-0 D. Utd, 0-0 County, 0-1 Dundee. There's been the odd decent win thrown in too (Aberdeen 3-2) but surely Robinson's team next season can provide better? 

Top 6...... unless you get into Europe, well, who really cares? Goodwin said it was the lowest he'd been in football missing out last year and Ross County were celebrating on Saturday like they'd won the league. Bizarre. Well done to the SPFL in bringing in a bit of spice which wouldn't otherwise exist but it's, ultimately, pretty meaningless. Personally, I'm happy that the Old Firm won't be visiting again and I'll instead see us up against a team we're more capable of beating.

Don’t see why Top 6 is meaningless at all. Get into it and you are guaranteed top flight football, and can get a head start on six clubs below you in looking at contracts and plans for next season. You will have a shot at a higher league placing, a European place, and your home games will be more than decent earners. From a player’s perspective I guess they’d rather be well away from a trouser troubling relegation scrap, and maybe being involved in big games where the title could be decided. That’s why Tony changed his name by deed poll to Top 6 Tony.

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Don’t see why Top 6 is meaningless at all. Get into it and you are guaranteed top flight football, and can get a head start on six clubs below you in looking at contracts and plans for next season. You will have a shot at a higher league placing, a European place, and your home games will be more than decent earners. From a player’s perspective I guess they’d rather be well away from a trouser troubling relegation scrap, and maybe being involved in big games where the title could be decided. That’s why Tony changed his name by deed poll to Top 6 Tony.

I'm looking forward to the not-too-distant day when the Old Firm leave us for European Super League Division 3. In the short term, two fewer games against them will do. I can certainly live without the excitement of being part of their title celebrations... 

European football? This season, not 1 but 2 clubs with superior resources (Hibs and Aberdeen) have massively underperformed opening up a rare opportunity for others. Most seasons though those places are pretty much done by now. There's not much movement in the top 6 after the split with each team losing a good chunk of the 15 points available to Rangers and Celtic.

Disrupted planning for next season? Will have affected Dundee and St Johnstone but not so much ourselves. Sounds like we've already signed at least one player.

6 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I'm looking forward to the not-too-distant day when the Old Firm leave us for European Super League Division 3. In the short term, two fewer games against them will do. I can certainly live without the excitement of being part of their title celebrations... 

European football? This season, not 1 but 2 clubs with superior resources (Hibs and Aberdeen) have massively underperformed opening up a rare opportunity for others. Most seasons though those places are pretty much done by now. There's not much movement in the top 6 after the split with each team losing a good chunk of the 15 points available to Rangers and Celtic.

Disrupted planning for next season? Will have affected Dundee and St Johnstone but not so much ourselves. Sounds like we've already signed at least one player.

Still, better to be safe in the top 6 rather than be dragged down by St Johnstone, eh?

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Still, better to be safe in the top 6 rather than be dragged down by St Johnstone, eh?

Meh.....

Obviously, I don't want us to go down (and doubt we will) but.... the United play-off win was one of the most memorable occasions in recent seasons. Who did we even play the last game of last season?

A double header against Partick Thistle in front of full houses.... who wouldn't look forward to that!?

50 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Sounds like we've already signed at least one player.

O'Hara's a PCA , which means he can still pull out if we go down. Rick Lamie had signed a PCA with Dundee but it's looking unlikely he will go there , Lamie is another on Robinson's radar I believe !

Blackburn Rovers defender Tyler Magloire is wanted by Scottish Premiership duo Motherwell and St Mirren ahead of the summer transfer window.

Magloire, 23, is out of contract in the summer. The Blackburn Rovers academy graduate looks set to leave the club after a difficult few years, having spent time on loan with Northampton Town in League Two this season.

29 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Meh.....

Obviously, I don't want us to go down (and doubt we will) but.... the United play-off win was one of the most memorable occasions in recent seasons. Who did we even play the last game of last season?

A double header against Partick Thistle in front of full houses.... who wouldn't look forward to that!?

Since the split came in we've seen loads of clubs get there at some point. Falkirk, Dunfermline, ICT, Partick, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Livingston, Motherwell, St Johnstone. If all these clubs can do it, why not us? 

Whilst it's not the be all and end all, it's mildly embarrassing that we're about the only club who's spent time in the top flight since it went to 12 teams, that have never made it into the top half. 

13 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Since the split came in we've seen loads of clubs get there at some point. Falkirk, Dunfermline, ICT, Partick, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Livingston, Motherwell, St Johnstone. If all these clubs can do it, why not us? 

Whilst it's not the be all and end all, it's mildly embarrassing that we're about the only club who's spent time in the top flight since it went to 12 teams, that have never made it into the top half. 

Only mildly embarrassing if you align your self-worth with the fortunes of a football club. 

The SPFL has done a brilliant job of making "Top 6" seem important. Really, it's largely insignicant and the glorious memories of a top 6 finish soon fade away as a quick read of the St Johnstone thread would attest to.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Meh.....

Opinions, opinions. Personally, I’d take Top 6 safety every day of the week over a wafer-thin penalty kick shootout win to secure top flight safety, no matter how exciting it turned out to be. Each to their own. If you like the excitement of nearly being relegated - which could easily see the club ‘do a Partick / Falkirk / Dunfermline’ and suffer, then that’s your perogative. Absolutely entitled to think that way. Me? Count me out.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Opinions, opinions. Personally, I’d take Top 6 safety every day of the week over a wafer-thin penalty kick shootout win to secure top flight safety, no matter how exciting it turned out to be. Each to their own. If you like the excitement of nearly being relegated - which could easily see the club ‘do a Partick / Falkirk / Dunfermline’ and suffer, then that’s your perogative. Absolutely entitled to think that way. Me? Count me out.

As a young St Mirren fan I did "suffer" a bit when we struggled I guess but not now. I'll be going to see them whether we're playing Hearts in the top 6 or Airdrie in League 1 so why sweat it? Can't control it so just enjoy the ride!

Anyone know why our new CEO/COO hasn't been appointed yet? We knew Tony was retiring in January, in an ideal world his replacement would have been announced before he left and there would have been some overlap to allow for an orderly transition. Not only did that not happen, it's now two weeks since Tony left and the club is going through a vital time both on and off the pitch with this role being vacant.

Why?

23 minutes ago, Lex said:

Anyone know why our new CEO/COO hasn't been appointed yet? We knew Tony was retiring in January, in an ideal world his replacement would have been announced before he left and there would have been some overlap to allow for an orderly transition. Not only did that not happen, it's now two weeks since Tony left and the club is going through a vital time both on and off the pitch with this role being vacant.

Why?

Maybe waiting until we know what division we are playing in next season. 😬

You would have expected some kind of handover. Maybe Tony will still offer to help the newcomer.