The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Would he do a job in the Championship?

He's doing a job in the Championship right now.

14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, we never really got to see much (any) of him.

He had only really been around the fringes of the first team and by the time Robinson got around to giving him some game time in pre-season Norwich had expressed interest and he'd told us he wouldn't be signing a new deal when his current one expired so we cashed in and off he went.

I always liked the look of him and he seemed like he had something about him so it's annoying he never got a shot in the first team beyond a couple of friendlies.

@RiG will be able to tell you more than I can but he seems to have been doing alright for The Caley.

He's really grown into the team especially over the last couple of months. Early season he was behind the likes of Allardice, Welsh and MacGregor battling for the central midfield stakes. But with injuries to Welsh, MacGregor and, more importantly, Allardice at various points of the season (the latter out long term) he's had the chance to really stake a claim for a starting point and since he started regularly for us back in December, including a fine goal against Morton, he's never looked back.

He's a real box to box midfielder despite his quite gangly appearance. He reminds me, from an ICT perspective, of a more athletic Owain Tudor Jones, with his massive strides quickly covering large areas of the pitch despite not being that pacey. His range of passing is excellent and he keeps play ticking over nicely in the middle of the pitch and is equally adept at picking out wide players over distance to get attacks going down the flanks. His technique is excellent as can be seen with the goals he scored, especially the Jimmy Ping against Dunfermline. I don't think he's that great at winning the ball of opponents a lot of the time though he's by no means bad at it.

I'd love to keep him especially given that he seems to be enjoying life up in Inverness but he could easily play at a higher level than us so unless we get promoted I suspect he will end up at a Premiership side unless Norwich renew his deal which doesn't seem all that likely right now.

Edited by RiG

On 04/04/2022 at 13:32, McG said:

Telling the players they weren’t wanted when we weren’t even safe was criminal and now he is relying on these players to keep us yet still throws them under the bus during interviews.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, but I wonder if he was trying to do right by those players by telling them early. The sooner you know you're not getting a contract extension, the quicker you can alert your agent and give them more to find you somewhere else. 

That said, if said players have already been successful in securing contracts elsewhere then I can totally understand them not giving 100% on a matchday. 

28 minutes ago, dublin_bud said:

Playing devil's advocate for a second, but I wonder if he was trying to do right by those players by telling them early. The sooner you know you're not getting a contract extension, the quicker you can alert your agent and give them more to find you somewhere else. 

That said, if said players have already been successful in securing contracts elsewhere then I can totally understand them not giving 100% on a matchday. 

That's a fair point. I still think it's an odd thing to say to the press though. Also, would he have still not offered a contract if one of these players had played out their skin for the remainder of the season? 

The whole thing seems like it’s a total mess. The mood surrounding the team is not good and this could have been handled better. If we are indeed caught by St Johnstone I would worry about us in a playoff. The manager has made it clear he wants only those committed so he’s made his bed and now it’s he who will need to sort this and quickly to avoid potentially damaging his decent reputation. I hope he can and will be supporting him. 

I've been in your thread more than normal recently due to our game last week and then the Lasley rumours and I've seen this releasing players chat quite a bit and the outrage among many.

A few of you are maybe not realising that players like anyone in any employment have the right to be given notice if their services are not going to be retained. They are also represented by a union (PFA Scotland) and long standing precedents set in place.

This time last week was 6 weeks till the end of the season, seems a standard amount of time to advise people so they can plan their future.

Of course you could have said nothing and do a P&O.

Is this possibly one of the rumoured 4 or 5 players Robinson already has agreed to sign for next season.

From story in the Daily Record seems Killie, us and fakes all interested.

Apart from the story on O'Hara and potentially McAlear, who are the other 2/3.

If some fans knew this they might not be panicking as much with the fact the likes of 9 first team players that contracts end this summer or loans end
Alnwick
Tanser
McCarthy
Power
Flynn
Millar
Jones
Ronan
Gogic

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

From story in the Daily Record seems Killie, us and fakes all interested.

Apart from the story on O'Hara and potentially McAlear, who are the other 2/3.

If some fans knew this they might not be panicking as much with the fact the likes of 9 first team players that contracts end this summer or loans end
Alnwick
Tanser
McCarthy
Power
Flynn
Millar
Jones
Ronan
Gogic

To be fair, it's only really Alnwick, Tanser and possibly McCarthy I'd keep, if you exclude the loan signings who are almost certainly out of our reach. I like Power but he's getting on, ditto Flynn, and Millar has hardly featured.

I suspect McCarthy may have signed for someone else, given the 'heads turned' comment and his performance on Saturday.

The worry is the mixed messages - a couple of weeks ago we had to win or our season would be over, now we're in a relegation battle. That patter isn't likely to be attractive to anyone he's trying to sign, if they think Championship football is a possibility.

Agreed, @Hendo.

The fact is, a few weeks ago we were talking about the fact we were safe and planning for next season. Now we can't buy a win, the team looks utterly spineless/demotivated and we could very easily end up in 11th. In fact, I now believe we will.

If we end up in the playoff, regardless of the outcome, that is a disastrous collapse and, for me, he'd have to go.

10 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Interesting interview with Robinson just up on the website. I think they’ve realised he needed to display some positivity after the weekend.

He’s been told to do that interview and what to say after Saturdays nonsense.