The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I believe he's just starting to implement it. Much to the annoyance of yer fans.

It was great in 17/18.

I'm reserving judgement till at least Christmas time. Its only fair. 

26 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I know very little about O'Hara. Not even sure what position he plays. one of the middle three in a 4-3-3*, by any chance?

* I did realise the one huge downside of that system, if it really is what Robinson prefers and is gearing up towards playing: it doesn't suit Kiltie at all. The boy needs to play number 10 or not at all, tbh.

Hes definitely not a holding midfielder. Can't read the game nearly well enough. His strength is getting into the box and getting onto the end of chances, seems great at timing his runs into the box and has the height to be effective once hes there. Hes shit in possession though, simple passes only.

I suspect this is Robinson priming you for a season of "hoof ball up wing to athletic winger -> put cross in -> hope big lump wins header" Robinsonball. 

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Adding in OHara it’s a group of players not good enough for a rival in the same division. I’m struggling with Alexander at the moment but OHara was never going to make us better, another bottom four type player. 

WIthout wanting to take over a Buddies thread, in our current midfield options in order of retention (outwith existing contracts) I'd have Slattery top, then O'Hara, Cornelius, Tierney, Shaw (as he's a loan and hardly seen him), Maguire, Donnelly, Goss and Grimmy. Therefore for me he'd be good cover and involved only if we do really good business in the summer. On our thread it suggests he was a top earner so that's the only benefit for me of today's news.

Robinson signed Main and for the first six months he looked like a more than adequate replacement for Louis Moult, I remember turning to my friend at the Cup Semi against Aberdeen where he scored a brace and said "Louis who?". Needless to say Aberdeen got the checkbook out (sound familiar) and he was off. I think you're going to have to endure Robinson trying to eek out his form in that first six months in the remaining 7 games.

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That being said, he won't get too many opportunities to get away with performances like the second half on Saturday. It was beyond awful. Every single person in the ground could see the momentum shift at half time and I dont think many could quite believe it took so long for him to react in any way to it. Then when he did react it was plainly wrong.

I think getting McCarthy on was fine to be honest. I have issues with who he took off, but the idea was right. 

Robinson will obviously be given time to assemble his own squad for next season. 

If he wants to keep fans onside then off loading Curtis Main will be a priority in the summer. Seldom have we seen a player in the stripes with so little ability. Only Goodwin knows why he signed him.

I don't know much about O'Hara other than what I've seen against us. A blood and guts player, possibly a replacement for Gogic but someone who gets himself forward more than Gogic is my impression of him.

In the summer we really need to move Main on. I think he's contracted for another year though? I terrible, terrible footballer who should be fourth choice striker, behind Brophy, Grieve and Shaughnessy.

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Just from what I'm reading from Motherwell fans, scores a few belters, likes a run from deep.

Mark O'Hara is absolutely nothing like Connor Ronan tbf.

53 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I don't know much about O'Hara other than what I've seen against us. A blood and guts player, possibly a replacement for Gogic but someone who gets himself forward more than Gogic is my impression of him.

Tbh, he's not really a Gogic either. He's not a destroyer or anything like that.

He's a box to box midfielder who'll get about the pitch nominally a #8. He's not creative enough to play as a #10, Robinson tried him as a holding midfielder last season which didn't really work as he doesn't really have the discipline, arguably his best games last season came when he played centre half in a back 3.

He's been with us since 2019 and has never really established himself one way or another. He's had good games here and there but never on a consistent basis.

For all there's snark in @RandomGuy.'s post about him, he's also right...he's an extremely Stephen Robinson player.

We paid a nominal fee for him and pushed the boat out a bit to get him on a permanent ahead of you guys because Robinson saw value in him so it's absolutely no surprise he's went back in for him.

IMO the best summary came over on our thread from @Casagolda last night. It's pretty much spot on.

18 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I’ve never been his biggest fan. 

Has good physical attributes certainly- good engine, strong, decent in the air etc. The fact he runs about a lot seems to win a lot of plaudits among certain sections of our support.

However he’s a fairly limited footballer, doesn’t see anything that isn’t 5 yards in front of him and lacks any sort of positional discipline. He’ll have the odd good game and pop up with a goal every so often but overall he’s a fairly beige mid-table jobber. 

Supposedly one of our top earners as well and I don’t think he’s ever come remotely close to justifying that. 

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Didn't realise he was there. Totally forgot about that guy. Felt like there was a player in there somewhere. Did he not get sent off quite early in his spell with us?

His first game v Alloa in the cup. Goodwin was their manager, they were 2-0 up but we won 3-2.

36 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

His first game v Alloa in the cup. Goodwin was their manager, they were 2-0 up but we won 3-2.

Left at half time disgusted by our play in the first half . Phoned the wife at the ferry terminal only for her to tell me Saints were 3-2 up. I see Dylan Connolly has joined Obika at Morecambe.  

Some interesting transfer stuff with Robinson: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/st-mirren-boss-stephen-robinson-26543987

Already some signings done, some players rejected contracts, other players who thought they might get a contract now not getting one (wonder if that includes Greive).

Anyone got a list of who is out of contract? I'm guessing Alnwick and McCarthy have knocked back deals and I wouldn't be surprised if Flynn is away.

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Some interesting transfer stuff with Robinson: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/st-mirren-boss-stephen-robinson-26543987

Already some signings done, some players rejected contracts, other players who thought they might get a contract now not getting one (wonder if that includes Greive).

Anyone got a list of who is out of contract? I'm guessing Alnwick and McCarthy have knocked back deals and I wouldn't be surprised if Flynn is away.

We haven’t even reached this season’s split, and already I need to dust down my ‘post Bosman’ view on watching St Mirren. I’m watching 2021/22 St Mirren, I won’t be watching anything approaching this in 2022/23, and I better not get too attached to favourites like Alnwick or Ronan. Anyone decent will be offski, anyone shite will hopefully also be offski, and I’ll rack up again to watch the latest ‘one season’ collection of players that our manager tries to knit together until the next season.

From what I can work out, the following are out of contract:

Alnwick

Flynn

McAllister

McCarthy

Millar

Power

Tanser (option of a further year)

Jones, Ronan and Gogic loan deals ending.

Alnwick will be off, McCarthy was being linked with a move away in the summer so will probably be gone too. McAllister, Millar and Flynn will probably be binned so that leaves Power and Tanser. Tanser will surely get his extra year.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Greive signed an 18 month deal.

I like the sound of what Robinson is saying.

It's utterly baffling that we have playued the full season with a thread bare bench full of shite, whislt having guys like Jamieson, Reid etc out on loan.

Is Shaughnessy out of contract?

I think Fraser may be away, based in recent line ups.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

We haven’t even reached this season’s split, and already I need to dust down my ‘post Bosman’ view on watching St Mirren. I’m watching 2021/22 St Mirren, I won’t be watching anything approaching this in 2022/23, and I better not get too attached to favourites like Alnwick or Ronan. Anyone decent will be offski, anyone shite will hopefully also be offski, and I’ll rack up again to watch the latest ‘one season’ collection of players that our manager tries to knit together until the next season.

The only question is who'll be leaving us (or not) on deadline day come August, my money is on Erhahon.

The saddest thing is when Flynn goes in there'll be no-one on my 2107/18 Championship Winners mug left at the club - skweeze me, pleeze me Robbo, give Flynn a new contract.

Edited by btb