The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Does make you realise how much slack Jim was being cut just because of his links to the club. We have rarely been convincing on the field, since we got promoted. A few stellar performances dotted in and amongst a lot of dross.

I'm not buying the whole 'he needs to assemble his own squad' thing, because our squad is decent. However, I also think there was every chance Jim could also be the one experiencing this shite run, because he oversaw plenty of shite runs and performances himself.

The Ross County game - and his subsequent comments - remain the things that annoy/concern me.

If he wants to play 4-3-3, then we have the players to do that, no bother. So I guess maybe now's the time for him to change to his system before he runs out of excuses.

12 minutes ago, billyg said:

This is true. A lot of the guys involved in the running of the club are long time fans , like us! They'll have the same gut feeling as us already !

He will be fine Billy the board are not going to pay out £100,000 to get their man in give him a contract only to sack him  a few weeks down the line. Robinson will get to rebuild the team in the summer that's when judgement will be made. At the moment it's disappointment and frustration from the fans we had it in our heads top six was possible even with the second lowest budget in the league .

My observations so far on Robinson is he's always trying to change things. That can be a good thing at times, but it's not something this group are used to. Jim had one approach, whether it be 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1, and he usually stuck with it - lack of a plan b was a common criticism. Robinson has a different approach and his ability to be responsive can be a positive, but we have a group of players not used to changing things in game so much, which explained the disorganised shambles of yesterday's second half.

He also presents as a more abrasive character than Ross, Goodwin or Kearney, and I would hazard a guess there's been more harsh words said over the last few weeks than there had been all season. Again, not sure our group of players are used to that approach.

I do expect there will be a lot of change in the summer and the time to judge will be next season, though I am slightly concerned that some of our better players who are used to a more positive style of man management may decide to leave if the change in approach isn't to their liking. 

4 hours ago, Wardog said:

So if you are at your work and somebody is shouting and swearing at you that you just take it? Gies peace....

Aye, well if you're doing a really bad job - like a taxi driver going in the opposite direction of your destination, then aye. 

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Robinson has had a terrible start, there’s no denying that. Hopefully when he gets to the summer and recruits his own squad then we see what he’s really all about.

It’s been a massively disappointing spell for us, but the calls for him to go are absolutely wild.

Calm down.

I haven't seen or heard a single person call for him to go. Not one. 

38 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Does make you realise how much slack Jim was being cut just because of his links to the club. We have rarely been convincing on the field, since we got promoted. A few stellar performances dotted in and amongst a lot of dross.

I'm not buying the whole 'he needs to assemble his own squad' thing, because our squad is decent. However, I also think there was every chance Jim could also be the one experiencing this shite run, because he oversaw plenty of shite runs and performances himself.

The Ross County game - and his subsequent comments - remain the things that annoy/concern me.

If he wants to play 4-3-3, then we have the players to do that, no bother. So I guess maybe now's the time for him to change to his system before he runs out of excuses.

Yeah, this kind of run has been coming all season I think, the narrow wins and draws have become narrow losses. We've run out of steam again, just like we did at this point last season.

People say we've got a good squad, I don't know about that. We've got a lot of players who can be good on their day, but for me a lot of them are pretty flaky. Guys like Tanser, Dunne, Jones, Gogic, Power, they are all capable of really good games, but they've all had horrors as well. Doesn't seem to be much in-between. The only guys you can really hang your hat on to perform each week are Shaughnessy, Ronan and, up till last couple of games anyway, Alnwick. Brophy and Greive will give you 100%, but can only ever be as good as what's happening behind them. You don't really look at the bench and think there are many glaring omissions either who should be getting a chance to start, it's all much of a muchness.

To be fair, it's not just us having this issue, it's everyone in the league below 3rd place. Nobody had been able to string together consistent results, everyone has been going on long winless streaks. I feel this was going to happen whoever was in charge.

I find it interesting that part of the reason that we went on a good run was Kiltie coming into the team and playing like he had a point to prove. He seems to have lost that spark a wee bit since.

Henderson has impressed since we stopped trying to play him as wingback early in the season. Would be good to see him get to the point he can hold down first choice RM.

I think Goodwins biggest problem when he was with the club was his inability to sign, or develop, decent strikers. Anyone know if Robinson has a good track record in this area?

Summer transfers will be even more interesting to me this year - seeing what A new manager can do in the summer. Last time we changed manager in the summer we got that stubbs debacle. Can't be worse than that.....surely?

If we manage to beat Motherwell, it could be that we absolutely have to go at Rangers in three weeks' time, especially if we need three points. As it's a Sunday, we will know what we need before kick off.

ETA: They're away to Braga the Thursday before, so if ever there's an opportunity it's then, given how they've been suffering 'hangovers' after European games.

Edited by Mr. Smith

3 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

if ever there's an opportunity it's then, given how they've been suffering 'hangovers' after European games.

Tavernier, penalty. Only thing yet to be decided is the minute it is awarded in.

5 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

He will be fine Billy the board are not going to pay out £100,000 to get their man in give him a contract only to sack him  a few weeks down the line. Robinson will get to rebuild the team in the summer that's when judgement will be made. At the moment it's disappointment and frustration from the fans we had it in our heads top six was possible even with the second lowest budget in the league .

How do you know we have the second lowest budget. I think that’s up for debate . Some of our signings have been quite good and won’t be playing for buttons. I’d imagine Livingston, County, And maybe one or two others will be looking at Brophy, Kiltie etc admiringly 

Goodwin spent months playing a formation that clearly didn't work, with players he bought and knew exactly what he would get out of them. Before his Damascene conversion, the same fans hounding Robinson now wanted Goodwin sacked too.

The idea that Robinson, after a couple of games, should be shown the door is insanity of the highest order and made by people who've clearly forgotten that we only start to get any level of consistency when we don't swap managers every season.

Sometimes I absolutely despair at some sections of our fanbase.

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

Goodwin spent months playing a formation that clearly didn't work, with players he bought and knew exactly what he would get out of them. Before his Damascene conversion, the same fans hounding Robinson now wanted Goodwin sacked too.

The idea that Robinson, after a couple of games, should be shown the door is insanity of the highest order and made by people who've clearly forgotten that we only start to get any level of consistency when we don't swap managers every season.

Sometimes I absolutely despair at some sections of our fanbase.

1) Can you quote any posts on here that have called from Robinson's dismissal? 

2) He inherited a side that was winning, and then changed the formation. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

1) Can you quote any posts on here that have called from Robinson's dismissal? 

2) He inherited a side that was winning, and then changed the formation. 

1) Don't be so obtuse.

2) Goodwin had months with the wrong formation. What is your point caller?

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

1) Don't be so obtuse.

2) Goodwin had months with the wrong formation. What is your point caller?

1) I'm not being obtuse, I simply have not seen a single call for Robinson to be sacked. You have stated that you 'despair at some sections of our fanbase' who believe that Robinson should be 'shown the door'...but I haven't seen any evidence of that, at all. None. Can you quote even one poster on here?

2) I thought my point was obvious? Goodwin found a formation that had us winning, and Robinson changed it. That's a pretty stupid thing to do. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

1) I'm not being obtuse, I simply have not seen a single call for Robinson to be sacked. You have stated that you 'despair at some sections of our fanbase' who believe that Robinson should be 'shown the door'...but I haven't seen any evidence of that, at all. None. Can you quote even one poster on here?

2) I thought my point was obvious? Goodwin found a formation that had us winning, and Robinson changed it. That's a pretty stupid thing to do. 

Goodwin got a lot of slack from our fans. That 11 game run without a win was brutal and other managers would have been under serious pressure. 

I don't tend to read our social media too much but you don't have to look hard on it to see fans wanting him out.  It's not exactly a good barometer but there are folk saying he's the next Stubbs and we should sack him.  

On second point I grant you we haven't looked as good as we did under Goodwin, but doubt he'd have kept the streak going given the games we had coming up. Goodwin found a formation, but Robinson is entitled to change things to match up against the clubs and deal with different tactics, suspensions and injuries. It might not have got us 3 points but I don't think it's stupid. 

Equally, we'd probably have got a point from County bar a dodgy penalty and Saturday if our captain didn't abandon his position with 10 men and 30 seconds to go. 

Edited by flyingscot

29 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Goodwin got a lot of slack from our fans. That 11 game run without a win was brutal and other managers would have been under serious pressure. 

I don't tend to read our social media too much but you don't have to look hard on it to see fans wanting him out.  It's not exactly a good barometer but there are folk saying he's the next Stubbs and we should sack him.  

On second point I grant you we haven't looked as good as we did under Goodwin, but doubt he'd have kept the streak going given the games we had coming up. Goodwin found a formation, but Robinson is entitled to change things to match up against the clubs and deal with different tactics, suspensions and injuries. It might not have got us 3 points but I don't think it's stupid. 

Equally, we'd probably have got a point from County bar a dodgy penalty and Saturday if our captain didn't abandon his position with 10 men and 30 seconds to go. 

Goodwin got a lot of goodwill from our fans. He also got lucky when he finally switched to a back 4. Robinson does not carry the same fan adulation so the shine comes off quickly. 

When we brought Robinson to the club who thought he was a bad appointment? More people were concerned we would end up with Brown etc. 

Am I enjoying his start at the club? No 

But I will let this play out and see what pre season brings. 

We have a few good players but lots of just alright ones too. Hopefully Robinson can take us forward. 

We wont make top 6 this season

Found this no idea how accurate it is but interesting

St. Mirren 2022 - Player Wages

St. Mirren have a total of 35 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Connor Ronan earning £4,400 per week.

St. Mirren play in the cinch Premiership, the highest division of football in Scotland.

The teams total wage bill is:

• £1,283,360 per year
  • £24,680 per week

Active Squad:

Player Name Weekly Wage Yearly Salary Age Position Nationality
Connor Ronan £4,400 £228,800 23 AM RC Ireland
Alan Power £1,500 £78,000 33 DM Ireland
Curtis Main £1,400 £72,800 29 ST England
Charles Dunne £1,400 £72,800 28 D LC Ireland
Eamonn Brophy £1,300 £67,600 25 ST Scotland
Greg Kiltie £1,200 £62,400 24 AM RLC Scotland
Joe Shaughnessy £960 £49,920 29 D C Ireland
Ethan Erhahon £960 £49,920 20 DM Scotland
Marcus Fraser £930 £48,360 27 D RC Scotland
Jak Alnwick £910 £47,320 28 GK England
Lee Erwin £840 £43,680 27 AM L, ST Scotland
Conor McCarthy £830 £43,160 23 D C Ireland
Richard Tait £780 £40,560 31 D/WB RL Scotland
Matthew Millar £780 £40,560 24 D/WB/AM R Australia
Scott Tanser £770 £40,040 26 D/WB L England
Kyle McAllister £750 £39,000 22 AM RLC Scotland
Ryan Flynn £730 £37,960 32 D R, DM, M RC Scotland
Kristian Dennis £700 £36,400 31 ST England
Dean Lyness £670 £34,840 29 GK England
Jamie McGrath £660 £34,320 24 AM C Ireland
Peter Urminsky £500 £26,000 22 GK Slovakia
Jay Henderson £410 £21,320 19 WB/AM R Scotland
Dean McMaster £170 £8,840 18 D C, DM Scotland
Josh Jack £170 £8,840 20 AM/F C Scotland
Gavin Gallagher £100 £5,200 17 AM C Scotland
Mark Donaldson £100 £5,200 17 M RL Scotland
Euan Thomson £100 £5,200 16 M RL Scotland
David Struthers £100 £5,200 17 M R Scotland
Fraser Taylor £100 £5,200 17 M RL Scotland
Kieran Offord £100 £5,200 17 ST Scotland

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Goodwin got a lot of goodwill from our fans. He also got lucky when he finally switched to a back 4. Robinson does not carry the same fan adulation so the shine comes off quickly. 

When we brought Robinson to the club who thought he was a bad appointment? More people were concerned we would end up with Brown etc. 

Am I enjoying his start at the club? No 

But I will let this play out and see what pre season brings. 

We have a few good players but lots of just alright ones too. Hopefully Robinson can take us forward. 

We wont make top 6 this season

I didn't think it was particularly encouraging that Morecambe were fourth from bottom. I listened to the Motherwell fans, though, and agreed that he had a good record there, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Goodwin got us to two semi-finals last season, and we only missed out on a top-six spot on goal difference.

Robinson isn't likely to endear himself with the fans by telling them to 'f**k off'. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

Robinson isn't likely to endear himself with the fans by telling them to 'f**k off'. 

Didn't Jack Ross go into the crowd to have a go too. I don't think it's smart but some of our fans spend more time on our players and staffs backs than the opposition. 

16 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Didn't Jack Ross go into the crowd to have a go too. I don't think it's smart but some of our fans spend more time on our players and staffs backs than the opposition. 

It's an unfortunate aspect of the job - success and failure provokes a much stronger reaction than most occupations. Whilst I don't get sworn at if I have a bad day in the office, I don't get a round of applause if I have a good day, either. Also I don't earn anything like their wage.

Edited by Mr. Smith