The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Do we know what happened with the fans in the main stand? It's never a good look to be shouting back at fans but I wouldn't rush to judge. 
On the face of it he was a very good appointment. He's had a bad start but that's not to say he won't come good. 

Hearing it second hand, but basically he got abuse after full time and shouted f**k off back.
Things like that never end well, he needs to get his head down and get up the tunnel. Like I said it reminds me of the ‘I understand football better than them’ comments from Ian Murray, he was rightly sacked shortly after.
I’ve already said I’ll judge him at Christmas, no Robbo out banners here. Seems like his card is already marked by plenty however, a bad finish will make for an unpleasant summer. Can sniff the:
‘ I won’t be renewing my season ticket until Robinson is sacked’
comments already.

Wonder if Lyness will be given a run if we get a positive result against Motherwell. 

Even removing the red card I thought Alnwick was really poor today. A few times stayed on his line when he should have been out and came out when he shouldn’t have. Was poor (with the whole defence) against hearts as well.

and as for Robinson, the problem he will have is he isn’t the most likeable of managers. So when we go through bad runs he will get it tighter than Jim/Jack and Oran did. I can see him gutting the team in the summer as well…will be interesting 

Usual amateur hour shit as a tribute to Fitzy results in silence and grainy images of Sir Alex Ferguson on our unfit-for-purpose scoreboard. There was nothing surer than it being a fcuk-up. Nothing… apart from us going one up then shitting our pants again that is.
Never heard anywhere there was going to be anything happening...what was the plan? Overheard someone at half time saying they couldn't hear anything but I had no idea what they were on about.

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, pozbaird said:
Usual amateur hour shit as a tribute to Fitzy results in silence and grainy images of Sir Alex Ferguson on our unfit-for-purpose scoreboard. There was nothing surer than it being a fcuk-up. Nothing… apart from us going one up then shitting our pants again that is.

Never heard anywhere there was going to be anything happening...what was the plan? Overheard someone at half time saying they couldn't hear anything but I had no idea what they were on about.

Saw stuff before the game saying Tony didn’t want a fuss. Believe something is happening tonight.

Nice guy and club legend Fitzy, but I feel his retirement is good news for the club.
Less of that win the league and top four nonsense he came out with ad nauseam. He leaves us ninth with a questionable manager in charge, legacy.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Nice guy and club legend Fitzy, but I feel his retirement is good news for the club.
Less of that win the league and top four nonsense he came out with ad nauseam. He leaves us ninth with a questionable manager in charge, legacy.

I'd be blaming Goodwin more than Robinson for today's fuk up. Robinson didn't sign any of these players that shat the bed.

2 seasons now of nearly. Its time that we sign some players that are winners. 

I'd be blaming Goodwin more than Robinson for today's fuk up. Robinson didn't sign any of these players that shat the bed.

Well Goodwin left us 4th on PPG and still in the Scottish Cup. The direction of travel since his departure has been clear.
But I agree that despite his failure to cement the situation he was left, Robbo should be given the summer window to build his own team.

Just now, Lex said:

Well Goodwin left us 4th on PPG and still in the Scottish Cup. The direction of travel since his departure has been clear.
But I agree that despite his failure to cement the situation he was left, Robbo should be given the summer window to build his own team.

The fans " hero" jumped ship as quick as he could. If you take out our post winter run, this season has been poor. Goodwin was 2 games away from the bullet. Some fans are blinkered. 

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I’m blaming Robinson. He didn’t come in to a St Mirren team in crisis. He came into a St Mirren team who had turned a corner and were grinding out decent results. All he had to do was to come in and not fall over. IMHO he’s come in and fucked things up. He’s not managing these players the way Goodwin was. He’s not adopting the tactics Goodwin was (which saw us improve). He’s not engaging with the support at all the way Goodwin was, and he’s giving Curtis Main starts over other players who actually give a fcuk. He’s tinkered - and for tinkerings sake IMHO. He might prove to be a good appointment, but again, just IMHO, the current odds on that are 40/60. Not impressed so far at all by a manager coming into a club already in a good place.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I’m blaming Robinson. He didn’t come in to a St Mirren team in crisis. He came into a St Mirren team who had turned a corner and were grinding out decent results. All he had to do was to come in and not fall over. IMHO he’s come in and fucked things up. He’s not managing these players the way Goodwin was. He’s not adopting the tactics Goodwin was (which saw us improve). He’s not engaging with the support at all the way Goodwin was, and he’s giving Curtis Main starts over other players who actually give a fcuk. He’s tinkered - and for tinkerings sake IMHO. He might prove to be a good appointment, but again, just IMHO, the current odds on that are 40/60. Not impressed so far at all by a manager coming into a club already in a good place.

I agree with Curtis Main, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. Who signed him again?

5 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I agree with Curtis Main, he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. Who signed him again?

Oh, I agree, Robinson should be judged properly on who he decides to ship out, and who he decides to ship in, over the coming summer. As things stand though, I haven’t been impressed. Van Bronckhorst came into a Sevco team who Gerrard had done a good job with and hasn’t fcuked things up. In fact, it’s been seamless. 

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Oh, I agree, Robinson should be judged properly on who he decides to ship out, and who he decides to ship in, over the coming summer. As things stand though, I haven’t been impressed. Van Bronckhorst came into a Sevco team who Gerrard had done a good job with and hasn’t fcuked things up. In fact, it’s been seamless. 

Not really a fair comparison. We were on a 11 or 12 winless run before Christmas. The run after the break papered over the cracks. 

Roll on next season because the team/squad is massively imbalanced. Very little creativity, especially in midfield. 

We have at least a 3rd of the squad ready to move on. Add to that Goodwin jumped ship and has rocked the boat. Robinson does not know the squad so he would always be liable to tinker about. Sadly he is not covering himself in glory. It is too early to push the panic button and call for his head but the jury is out. 

This season is drifting away the time to really judge him will be when we see who comes in and who goes out pre season. 

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

I doubt he had any clue what the expectations were from our fans……….his comments about becoming a bad manager overnight suggest he is starting to.

Just read he told fans in the Main stand to f**k off, surely that’s got to be BS?

Heard it from a few folk, too.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Yeah there’s no chance we lose that game under Goodwin. Draw it, probably.
Goodwin doesn’t shout and swear at the fans in the main stand afterwards either.
Smells an awful lot like Iain Murray tbh.
Good appointment, but.

I like Jim. That fact made it difficult to shout abuse at him, even when he did continue to play Main. Robinson's gone down in my estimation today. I didn't think appointing a manager whose team was sitting fourth from bottom was a great idea, tbh. 

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Do we know what happened with the fans in the main stand? It's never a good look to be shouting back at fans but I wouldn't rush to judge. 

On the face of it he was a very good appointment. He's had a bad start but that's not to say he won't come good. 

He'd better come good, because that's no way to endear himself to the fans. He'll only get more abuse now. It's shows a complete lack of respect - it's out money that pays his wages.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Hearing it second hand, but basically he got abuse after full time and shouted f**k off back.
Things like that never end well, he needs to get his head down and get up the tunnel. Like I said it reminds me of the ‘I understand football better than them’ comments from Ian Murray, he was rightly sacked shortly after.
I’ve already said I’ll judge him at Christmas, no Robbo out banners here. Seems like his card is already marked by plenty however, a bad finish will make for an unpleasant summer. Can sniff the:
‘ I won’t be renewing my season ticket until Robinson is sacked’
comments already.

It's extraordinarily bad decision making to abuse the fans. If he'd had a good run up to now he might have been able to get away with it. But as others have said he'd inherited a team that was on form and have consistently demonstrated their capability. 

3 hours ago, Stan Bo said:

Wonder if Lyness will be given a run if we get a positive result against Motherwell. 

Even removing the red card I thought Alnwick was really poor today. A few times stayed on his line when he should have been out and came out when he shouldn’t have. Was poor (with the whole defence) against hearts as well.

and as for Robinson, the problem he will have is he isn’t the most likeable of managers. So when we go through bad runs he will get it tighter than Jim/Jack and Oran did. I can see him gutting the team in the summer as well…will be interesting 

I think we have some good players. It's his job as a manager to motivate them and play a tactically astute game. He didn't seem to be successful at Morecambe.

31 minutes ago, Munoz said:

The fans " hero" jumped ship as quick as he could. If you take out our post winter run, this season has been poor. Goodwin was 2 games away from the bullet. Some fans are blinkered. 

That's not fair. He was probably offered two or even three times his wage. Anyone would have taken that, and he left us in a good position. I have nothing but respect and fondness for Jim.

1 minute ago, Mr. Smith said:

Heard it from a few folk, too.

I like Jim. That fact made it difficult to shout abuse at him, even when he did continue to play Main. Robinson's gone down in my estimation today. I didn't think appointing a manager whose team was sitting fourth from bottom was a great idea, tbh. 

He'd better come good, because that's no way to endear himself to the fans. He'll only get more abuse now. It's shows a complete lack of respect - it's out money that pays his wages.

It's extraordinarily bad decision making to abuse the fans. If he'd had a good run up to now he might have been able to get away with it. But as others have said he'd inherited a team that was on form and have consistently demonstrated their capability. 

I think we have some good players. It's his job as a manager to motivate them and play a tactically astute game. He didn't seem to be successful at Morecambe.

That's not fair. He was probably offered two or even three times his wage. Anyone would have taken that, and he left us in a good position. I have nothing but respect and fondness for Jim.

Maybe so, but he's a far from honest character. Says what suits

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

Telling a couple of w****r fans to f**k off is perfectly acceptable and puts him up in my estimation to be honest. More of our managers and players should do it.

Aye, that's a good business model - tell your punters to "f**k off"! Have you thought about suggesting this to SMISA?