The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can only hope it's not Stevie Naismith as it appears that this would be an appointment based on nothing but old fashioned nepotism if his dad's link to Kibble is correct.

And I say this not as someone who thinks 'Kibble bad', but more in the vein of 'giving a Kibble gaffer's boy the job, bad'.

As I said previously presumably if we go for Naismith we go for an experienced No. 2 to help him out - in those circumstances what's the point of Naismith?

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can only hope it's not Stevie Naismith as it appears that this would be an appointment based on nothing but old fashioned nepotism if his dad's link to Kibble is correct.

And I say this not as someone who thinks 'Kibble bad', but more in the vein of 'giving a Kibble gaffer's boy the job, bad'.

I've heard we've sounded out Naismith before, before Kibble were involved.

9 minutes ago, btb said:

As I said previously presumably if we go for Naismith we go for an experienced No. 2 to help him out - in those circumstances what's the point of Naismith?

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

I've heard we've sounded out Naismith before, before Kibble were involved.

It was also confirmed by Neilson earlier. He mentioned Naismith has a decision to make with regards to whether he speaks to us or decides not to.

26 minutes ago, McG said:

Don’t know mate, heard different things, JR is wiling to come back, couple of board members want him but some unsure.

Think it will be a quick appointment whoever it is.

To be honest, you can completely understand why some board members aren't sold on Ross. I'm sure he'll be wanting an easy release clause, and is probably pretty open about the fact he'll be looking to jump ship at any sniff of a bigger job. Apparently it was quite hard going at the end of his last time with us where he was touting himself to everyone while we were still trying to get over the line as championship winners.

40 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be honest, you can completely understand why some board members aren't sold on Ross. I'm sure he'll be wanting an easy release clause, and is probably pretty open about the fact he'll be looking to jump ship at any sniff of a bigger job. Apparently it was quite hard going at the end of his last time with us where he was touting himself to everyone while we were still trying to get over the line as championship winners.

Like Goodwin?

Like it or not, that's the position any of our decent managers will find themselves in.

,It happens to far bigger clubs than us as evidenced by the events at the blue bigots earlier in the season.

For me, that’s fine - in 30 years it’s only happened twice, so if the new manager (or returning manager) becomes the third it means he’s delivered some success.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Like Goodwin?

Like it or not, that's the position any of our decent managers will find themselves in.

,It happens to far bigger clubs than us as evidenced by the events at the blue bigots earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, codfish said:

For me, that’s fine - in 30 years it’s only happened twice, so if the new manager (or returning manager) becomes the third it means he’s delivered some success.

Yeah, but there is a difference between a guy with a decent release fee choosing to go when the big team comes knocking, and a guy with a small release clause hawking himself to any job that comes up. I can't see Ross agreeing to anything that stops him walking at the drop of a hat, which is fine, but it's a risk for us that the board understandably may not want to take.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah, but there is a difference between a guy with a decent release fee choosing to go when the big team comes knocking, and a guy with a small release clause hawking himself to any job that comes up. I can't see Ross agreeing to anything that stops him walking at the drop of a hat, which is fine, but it's a risk for us that the board understandably may not want to take.

In your opinion. based on hearsay.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

On the plus side, Naismith does have this going for him.

0B548C41-37E3-4A2D-98AC-06E24143D708.thumb.png.0ed8c97de855ad1d847b6412a51f7114.png

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

In your opinion. based on hearsay.

Well, yeah, obviously it's my opinion, it's an internet forum, I didn't think we had to quantify every post.

As for hearsay, yeah maybe, but from people who would have no reason to lie.

On 18/02/2022 at 00:49, ZingaliMan said:

Jim Goodwin will not leave St Mirren at this time . Negotiat wages , experience from interviews.  Whatever Jim will be St Mirren manager till at least the end of the season. Put your money on it.

:lol: 

18 minutes ago, GAD said:

Well, yeah, obviously it's my opinion, it's an internet forum, I didn't think we had to quantify every post.

As for hearsay, yeah maybe, but from people who would have no reason to lie.

I'm not asking you to justify anything.

Goodwin leaving for Aberdeen isn't any different from Ross leaving for Sunderland.

Maybe "the people who would have no reason to lie" didn't have ITK info on Goodwin.

44 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

2027651806_imageproxy(6).gif.8a5331198eeee915032cfb382ecec60a.gif

You have intentionally missed out the bit where I said if they get lucky. There is definitely a chance of that happening if teams like Aberdeen and Hibs continue to play at the level they have been recently.  

If St Mirren do manage to get into the top 6 then there is no reason that 4th place won’t be an achievable target. On their day St Mirren can beat any of the teams from 3rd place down, home or away, and that has been proven in the recent weeks. I do think St Johnstone and Dundee are just that bit detached from 10th to catch those above, but in all honesty there’s not even that much between 4th and 12th this year, it’s an extremely tight league outside of the OF.  

Edited by IrishBhoy

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I'm not asking you to justify anything.

Goodwin leaving for Aberdeen isn't any different from Ross leaving for Sunderland.

Maybe "the people who would have no reason to lie" didn't have ITK info on Goodwin.

So what's your point?

2 hours ago, stmirrenfc77 said:

If he’s willing to come back then surely it’s a no brainer?

Absolutely - we stand on the brink of a historic season let’s entrust this to a man who we know and who despite all the feeling when he left lifted saints from potentially part time football to premier league in 18 months. Surely we can see his experience and his personality would be ideal right now. Why risk it to employ a manager who hasn’t managed ? It’s madness