The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm pretty zen about Goodwin, he's put together a decent squad that is performing well. If he goes, we'll be left with a great base for anyone else coming in, plus we'll get a tidy wedge in compensation.

I'm not sure he'd want to leave just now though, considering the team is improving it might seem like a job half done. He'll get more money and resources at Aberdeen, but it's hardly a huge step up.

According to a Scotsman article their player's average salary is approximately three times ours. That's a much bigger budget to work with, in fact it's the third biggest in the SPL.

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It'd be interesting to see how the dynamic with Brown would work. Goodwin would surely want his own people, so where would that leave Brown in terms of the Aberdeen fold?

Brown's a good player. He's got 55 Scotland caps and has a few seasons left in him. If what you're referring to his his involvement in the management team, then I think Jim could work with him, for three times the salary.

In short, those who're looking for impediments, I'm not sure there are many. This is down to Jim. I think there's a good chance he can take it. Would he even have to relocate his family? Probably not.

46 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Worth remembering that Jim spoke to us when he was Alloa boss despite the fact that he'd seemingly already made his mind up he didn't want the job. Same could happen here if Aberdeen are willing to pay the compensation fee.

There is no way Aberdeen will pay 250 grand for Goody. They will need a rebuild in the summer. They have already had the fans dip into their pockets to help fund the club . IF Goody goes Ross will step in I would think but can't see this going any further.  

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

There is no way Aberdeen will pay 250 grand for Goody. They will need a rebuild in the summer. They have already had the fans dip into their pockets to help fund the club . IF Goody goes Ross will step in I would think but can't see this going any further.  

We could maybe use the compensatory payment that was earmarked to you for McGrath before pesky Wigan and apparently James McClean stuck their oar in. 

It genuinely surprises me that he is interesting Aberdeen. I think he has much promise as a manager, but isn't quite there yet. I mean he took Saints up to Aberdeen and had them skittle us, so I don't know what the Dons board have seen other than current form, however as others have said, he took way too long to move from 3-5-2 when everyone and his dog saw it wasn't working. A good manager and I'd be sorry to see him go but we'll move on. 

I can't see him going, but I'd be more convinced, if it was a central belt team interested like one of the Edinburgh clubs and not one where he needs to relocate his family. 

It would be nowhere near 250k, where is that fig coming from ?

Paying up a contract of £2k/week till June 2024 would be pretty much £250k.

Reading the Record article we've not actually knocked Aberdeen back just insisted that we want the compensation package sorted first.

But their initial approach to speak to the Irishman has been rejected with the Paisley side insisting a compensation package is agreed first.

32 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It genuinely surprises me that he is interesting Aberdeen. I think he has much promise as a manager, but isn't quite there yet. I mean he took Saints up to Aberdeen and had them skittle us, so I don't know what the Dons board have seen other than current form, however as others have said, he took way too long to move from 3-5-2 when everyone and his dog saw it wasn't working. A good manager and I'd be sorry to see him go but we'll move on. 

I can't see him going, but I'd be more convinced, if it was a central belt team interested like one of the Edinburgh clubs and not one where he needs to relocate his family. 

Big problem for me would be finding a young up and coming manager to replace Goodwin. He’s proven that he can convince really good players to sign for us, and they all want to play for him. 

Players always speak highly of his ability to communicate well and sell the club to them. 

After a shaky start to the season, he’s got it right and there’s a great feeling around the club as the team have clicked. Jan signings have been superb. If he up sticks and leaves then I’m worried all the good work and the good form, might just disappear with him.

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

If Goodwin watched that Aberdeen game tonight, he surely must be thinking no thanks. They are beyond help.

That said, they were slightly better than relegated select.

Didn't you hear ? It's nothing to do with the fakes being utter pish, it's a refereeing conspiracy, as well as terrible luck with injuries.