The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I would be amazed if Goodwin fancied the Aberdeen job. Of course they are a bigger club with better resources but his career is on the up. Aberdeen, like Hibs, is a job fraught with dangers. Whoever takes that job will be expected to finish 3rd and at least make a cup final. Can’t see him going there.

18 minutes ago, elvis said:

Seemingly told to piss off unless they come up with£250.000

I'm sure there will be a formula based on current wage and time left on the contract - if Aberdeen have been in contact they must know and be willing to pay what's due.

While I'll be sad to see JG go to another Scottish club (like I would've been with McGrath) let's hope it's done quickly one way or t'other.

Edited by btb

He could be out of a job here in a year too. If we lose four or five games in a row people will be on here calling for his head and they may get it, and he may never get the chance to manage a bigger club again. The stock of a manager can turn very quickly, just look at Davidson. I hope he turns it down and stays with us of course, but i don't think he will.

Has Goodie been offered the job? Not sure that's even going to happen. Would he go? After telling Mcgrath he was too good for that shower of shite? How would he work with Broony there? Can't see that going well? If I were a betting man I would not put any money on this happening 

27 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

I would be amazed if Goodwin fancied the Aberdeen job. Of course they are a bigger club with better resources but his career is on the up. Aberdeen, like Hibs, is a job fraught with dangers. Whoever takes that job will be expected to finish 3rd and at least make a cup final. Can’t see him going there.

I'm not sure about the cup final bit, but with the league's third biggest budget finishing third is a reasonable expectation.

I'm pretty zen about Goodwin, he's put together a decent squad that is performing well. If he goes, we'll be left with a great base for anyone else coming in, plus we'll get a tidy wedge in compensation.

I'm not sure he'd want to leave just now though, considering the team is improving it might seem like a job half done. He'll get more money and resources at Aberdeen, but it's hardly a huge step up.

41 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

He will definitely earn more, at least double. On the flip side, he'll be out of a job in a year when the Dons decide no string of results is acceptable to them. Big decision for Goodwin to make if the club accepts a bid.

Managers are no different to players. All they see is pound signs without taking into consideration the fact that they could be jobless in 6 months. Butcher going to Hibs for example.

47 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

He will definitely earn more, at least double. On the flip side, he'll be out of a job in a year when the Dons decide no string of results is acceptable to them. Big decision for Goodwin to make if the club accepts a bid.

Big decision on whether you’d welcome back Jack Ross as well? 

I genuinely don't think Goodwin will take the job if offered it. I don't think I've ever seen a manager at SMFC that my opinion has swayed back and forth on so wildly. When he gets it right (as he's doing just now) it's great on the crest of a wave but when it goes badly (as it has done many times in his tenure), we're a fucking awful, horrible negative watch and he takes far too long to admit defeat when something clearly isn't working.

Overall, I'd rather he stayed but agree with what Lex is saying, there were mutterings about him being on a shoogly peg just before Xmas as a direct result of a 3-5-2 that he clung onto for far far too long and his refusal to budge from it was pissing a lot of Saints fans off.

Is he the messiah? Nah, not at all. What he is doing though is slowly building something pretty good so it'd be a bit sad to see him move on right at this point but he'd be leaving us in a situation where a better calibre of manager would hopefully be interested in applying for the vacancy rather than us going to the lower leagues and giving someone untried 6-12 months to get up to speed.

Realistically if Aberdeen have made an approach then we'll have to make JG an improved offer or have an unhappy manager.

It depends on whether Jim backs himself to get a better offer down south at some point - on the plus side for him staying with us we stuck by him during that winless run before Christmas and backed him in the January window, but there's no room for sentimentality when it's your living.

If it were done when 'tis done then 'twere well it were done quickly...

Edited by btb