The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Erwin sank to the ground on Tuesday when the equaliser went in: that would suggest that he is bothered. Obviously he wants to be at the club and now has a point to prove. Like Erwin and Main, Kiltie was written off earlier in the season... 

He did just lose out on a win bonus 😂.

But seriosuly if he cares, great. He needs to show it in his performances. He has got 3 months to show his next club he is a Premiership player. He has shown it in glimpses with us but not enough. 

Brophy makes such a difference to us when he is playing we look a different team.

Is Erwin capable of playing the lone man role up front at Easter Rd tomorrow? I have my doubts but I hope he proves me wrong. 

In terms of Erwin, players who see their career on the slide are very aware they need to slow down the drop in level as much as they can so I can see why a move to the Championship and to a team that doesn’t look like coming up is a risk.

Now if he spends that rest of the season on our bench he doesn’t get a chance to show a new employer what he can do either but he would still leaving an Premiership side at the end of the season.

However if he gets a chance to play for us he knows he can get his next move off the back of it, so he will burst his arse because he needs to for himself regardless of his feelings on St Mirren.

Its one of the mysteries of fitba………how players strangely find form near contract time. 

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Sorry but that's all over the place. The Griffiths you mention at the start doesn't exist any more, recalling some halcyon memory is completely at odds with the performances he has delivered of the last 2, 3, 4 years? If he can't motivate himself enough to play for the club his own son supports, where he was a player before and where the fans support him, all this with his mate as the manager, why on Earth do you think that he's going to suddenly rock up to St Mirren and be that player from your memory?

Next up the whataboutery. Sure there are lots of people in the game who may not be ideal characters, that's not addressing Griffiths, all that's doing is lowering the bar, not raising it.

The idea of rehabilitation is something I don't disagree with, but Goodwillie doesn't consider himself guilty and has shown absolutely no contrition. How does rehabilitation work when the party to be rehabilitated refuses to acknowledge the impact of their actions. The whole "they should see it through to a logical conclusion and not accept a handout for financial gain to drop the case"  is concerning too, as if your personal preference somehow trumps the preferences of those actually involved in whatever action/mediation is brought.

Just for clarity, I don't want Griffiths at the club because he's shit, first and foremost. I am 'uncomfortable' with his persona and the absolute heaps of baggage that comes with him. There is also his disciplinary problems. Long long before you want to discuss the merits of anything else, he's just not good enough, and never will be.

Do you reckon Jim Goodwin is a good manger seriously ? Or you reckon you know better  ?  Do I think Griffiths is the answer no I don't but I believe Jim Goodwin Knows what he believes. he can get the best out of Griffiths.  Whether you agree or not matters nothing . Bottom line for me is Goodwin he is our manager lives or falls by his signings. So I would support our manager ( WHO HE Wants) . If he thinks he can get the best out of a player why not. What do you think ? 

Regardless of Brophy's fitness we need another striker, Main and Erwin have both proven they're not good enough.

Or, to be charitable, they don't fit the system(s).

Onto Griffiths, he's the last kind of character our club(or any) should be talking to, regardless of the fact he's done little on the pitch for 2+ years, he's a dubious individual, bear in mind the playing squad are role models at our 'level'. If Goodwin signs him, Goodwin can bolt. I say this as a 4th generation St Mirren fan (my kids are the 5th gen). For clubs like us morals matter.

As his name's been mentioned; Goodwille is reprehensible individual who refused to acknowledge his crime against his victim, therefore there's been no rehabilitation, the c**t can get to f**k. He's only fit to shovel shit until he acknowledges what he did. The cowardly c**t.

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Do you reckon Jim Goodwin is a good manger seriously ? Or you reckon you know better  ?  Do I think Griffiths is the answer no I don't but I believe Jim Goodwin Knows what he believes. he can get the best out of Griffiths.  Whether you agree or not matters nothing . Bottom line for me is Goodwin he is our manager lives or falls by his signings. So I would support our manager ( WHO HE Wants) . If he thinks he can get the best out of a player why not. What do you think ? 

Not sure the point you are making. Do I think Goodwin is a good manager? He certainly comes across well, and is capable of putting a team on the pitch that can win. That said he spent half a season persisting with a formation that didn't suit the players he brought in (or let go). If he was still persisting with the 3 at the back, I would probably conclude that he is too stubborn to be a manager, and if he had persisted with it, it probably would have cost him his job.

When you say "I would support" it's just not as binary as that suggests, there isn't a distinct, and easy to see, red line that should he cross it, he would lose my support. Griffiths is the sort of player that edges towards that vague line. Very questionable off the field, and incapable of producing on the field, I see no benefit to Griffiths being in the team, so in that sense would I support Goodwin for bringing him in? No, it's that simple, he's a dreadful choice of person to bring to the club, would I stop supporting Goodwin and/or St Mirren as a whole? I doubt it, although if they signed someone like Goodwillie, that probably would be enough - especially if they backed that signing up with the sort of doubling down of Raith Rovers did.

The thing I took from his quotes was vanity mixed with finances. Vanity in the sense that he thinks he, alone, would be the one person capable of correcting Griffiths', very obvious, decline. Finances, in that Griffiths was financially out of reach for us, but now isn't, however the analogy for me is that of expensive food. When fresh, it costs a lot, when going rotten it's put down to cheap just to get a sale.

As several have said, it might just be politics, and I really hope it is, you don't go running players down in the press just on the off-chance their agent doesn't take too kindly to that. He was overly ebullient though, which concerns me.

Edited by Ric

Anybody else getting the fear that Aberdeen/Hibs ect may start looking our way at how a proper football manager operates? 

If, and its still a huge if considering the circumstances, if we can beat last seasons league placing and get deep into the cup again. It's only a matter of time before bigger teams start sniffing about Goody.

What a run of form we are on. Seen some doom and gloom this week after the injury to Brophy, conceding the late equaliser and the link with Griffiths. I think Elvis predicted that we were going down, again. Well that result will silence that kind of chat, till we lose again anyway.
Four league games this year: Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hibs. Four teams above us in the league. We’ve got 10 points out of 12, and if Tait had ripped that 92nd minute ball up the line it would have been 12 out of 12.
Undefeated in 2022, four wins out of the last five and just one defeat in eight, which was at Ibrox.
Now we are ten points ahead of 11th and just four points off fourth. We also have a game in hand (against bottom of the league) on most of the teams around us, we are well in the running for top six.
Our main rivals for the three remaining top six spots are the four listed teams we just played, and as we’ve seen, we have absolutely nothing to fear from any of them. LivI and County in the mix too, and neither of them have beaten us this season.
I’m doing a Martindale and putting our safety in the bank after the results today. This team will not be relegated, we will finish somewhere between 4th and 10th.
The only way we get sucked into the scrap at the bottom is if we go on a 10 game losing streak or similar, and this team is too well coached for that. We might go on a long run of draws and losses again, but that would be enough to get 10th.
Safe in February, for the second year running. I’m enjoying this mid table obscurity that having a good manager gives us. Now it’s just about enjoying the run in and seeing how high we can finish. And winning the Scottish Cup, of course.
Good times in Paisley.

Anybody else getting the fear that Aberdeen/Hibs ect may start looking our way at how a proper football manager operates? 
If, and its still a huge if considering the circumstances, if we can beat last seasons league placing and get deep into the cup again. It's only a matter of time before bigger teams start sniffing about Goody.

Yep. Goodwin is clearly a much better manager than Glass, Courts, Maloney etc and he will be off at some point.
Just hope it is later rather than sooner.