The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I don't really understand why we can't just go with Erwin / Greive for the next few weeks. Since the break, Brophy had his tap-in at Tannadice but all of our other goals and assists have come from midfielders. Jones is an added goal threat too. There shouldn't be any panic.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

I don't really understand why we can't just go with Erwin / Greive for the next few weeks. Since the break, Brophy had his tap-in at Tannadice but all of our other goals and assists have come from midfielders. Jones is an added goal threat too. There shouldn't be any panic.

The thought of being left with Erwin/Grieve/Main for any length of time fills me with dread. The difference in our team when Brophy is up front is unbelievable.

Nothing against Grieve but he’s still a complete unknown and untested at this level. Erwin and Main are just shite.

If Brophy is going to be out for any length of time we need another striker. I hope it isn’t Griffiths as he looks done, uninterested, unfit and I think it sends out the wrong message from our club.

However we definitely need someone.

28 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Problem is Brophy could be out for months not weeks. 

For that to work we need Erwin to be 100% committed, which will be difficult as its obvious Jim hasn't rated him and we tried to punt him to Thistle.

16 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

Is that true, though? All charges were dropped, I thought. I don't trust the tabloid media about stuff like this and I'd not imagine St. Mirren would be near him if there was real evidence of that.

Jordan Jones was also outed on twitter for chatting up a 15 year old iirc. Again it was much the same scenario where I don’t think he would have known their age .

Edited by gannonball

I don't trust the Record a single inch, for all the obvious reasons, but those are direct quotes from Goodwin, whereas all that had been reported before was "he was on the list". The latter being vague and ambiguous, yet the direct comments are far more clear in intent.

I really hope Goodwin realises the backlash there would be if he joined us. Raith gave the "it's purely football reasons" for Goodwillie, however there was some merit to that as he has been both playing regularly and scoring goals. That cannot be said for Griffiths who, let's be honest, was given the easiest gig he'll ever get by going to Dundee yet still managed to f**k them over.

From the quotes, it sounds more like vanity, the thought of resurrecting a player's career, a career that faltered at the club he supports. Vanity is a very dangerous emotion for a football manager.

Edited by Ric

Disappointed we seem to be interested in Griffiths but would he even want to stay in the SPFL? He knocked back the chance to stay at Dundee and I'd be surprised if we could offer more money than them, I'd say he's more likely to see out his career outside Scotland, somewhere warm where his profile will be less of an issue.

32 minutes ago, btb said:

Disappointed we seem to be interested in Griffiths but would he even want to stay in the SPFL? He knocked back the chance to stay at Dundee and I'd be surprised if we could offer more money than them, I'd say he's more likely to see out his career outside Scotland, somewhere warm where his profile will be less of an issue.

From what I gathered, they only offered him a play as you pay deal.

I personally think there is enough noise online from supporters to suggest the majority would be against this signing and hopefully the board have taken note.

20 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I personally think there is enough noise online from supporters to suggest the majority would be against this signing and hopefully the board have taken note.

You would certainly hope so, otherwise what is the point of fans being involved in the decision making.

23 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Jim talking up Griffiths today looks odds on he will be signed.  If Jim thinks he can get the best out of him then I will go along with it but it's a massive risk. 

Every player is a risk. If he fires us the goals required to get top 6 then he gets my backing. I get the reason fans dont want him but he could and I say could just be what we need. 

He's a fat waster who's not been fit for over 3 years and has zero interest in getting fit again.

A total waste of money chasing some dream of what he used to be.

Whilst we are a world away from a David Goodwillie type scenario here the impact of Griffiths signing for the club is going to cause issues we simply don't need.

Even ignoring the previous off the field stuff (and I absolutely don't think you can ignore that) the player himself is woefully unfit, and he's still hanging around under the cloud of a suspension by the SFA for the firework incident against St.Johnstone.

He's simply not a risk worth taking. Move on and find someone else or play one of the academy boys up front.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Whilst we are a world away from a David Goodwillie type scenario here the impact of Griffiths signing for the club is going to cause issues we simply don't need.

Even ignoring the previous off the field stuff (and I absolutely don't think you can ignore that) the player himself is woefully unfit, and he's still hanging around under the cloud of a suspension by the SFA for the firework incident against St.Johnstone.

He's simply not a risk worth taking. Move on and find someone else or play one of the academy boys up front.

He won’t be signing now anyway, time to move on.

Stick big Joe up top tomorrow and go direct, he will hold it up all day long for the likes of Kiltie and jones.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Jordan Jones was also outed on twitter for chatting up a 15 year old iirc. Again it was much the same scenario where I don’t think he would have known their age .

Exactly! Folk talking about him being a danger to Ralston Primary or whatever are being very unfair. Footballers use their celebrity status to chat up lasses, always have done. These days, especially during lockdown, it will be online. If he knew her age it's a totally different story, but it's basically a Renton from Trainspotting type story where he thought she was of age. Given that he has a wife and kids it's shocking behaviour, but he's not a nonce.

@Div is probably right, he's likely to be a liability. But imagine if Goodwin got him fit, motivated and back to his best?

17 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Exactly! Folk talking about him being a danger to Ralston Primary or whatever are being very unfair. Footballers use their celebrity status to chat up lasses, always have done. These days, especially during lockdown, it will be online. If he knew her age it's a totally different story, but it's basically a Renton from Trainspotting type story where he thought she was of age. Given that he has a wife and kids it's shocking behaviour, but he's not a nonce.

@Div is probably right, he's likely to be a liability. But imagine if Goodwin got him fit, motivated and back to his best?

Goodwin gets him fit, motivated and back to his best.....then he gets a 8 game ban for the flare incident v StJohnstone.

Just not worth the risk or the shite that comes with it.