The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

McGraths father has been mentioned a few times in this situation, I wonder what kind of “influence” he’s having on things. 

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to hear Jim drop that in. He usually chooses his words really carefully so to mention the dad in that way... must be pretty bad.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

You can just sense the frustration that Jim Goodwin has in this situation. Jamie McGrath has been given some very poor advice and his agent is doing what they all do, maximising his own financial profit before that of his client.

I think it's really interesting insight; fair play to the interviewer for getting that out of him. To be fair, lots of folk's natural inclination is to blame the club when there's dicking about like this, but a) there's clearly no doubt where the fault lies here and I think we're being beyond reasonable with the player and b) it's actually nice to hear us defending our corner a little bit. After the way we acted with Cammy's move to the Fakes, I'm hoping this is a new not-to-be-messed-with St Mirren.

This is the first time in McGrath's career he's been linked with a big move. I reckon he's been pulled in a hundred different directions by the other clubs interested in him, his agent, his dad, St Mirren and god knows who else.

I wouldn't begrudge him his move away to easily treble his wages.

This whole "head isn't in the right place for a game of football" routine is an absolute fucking nonsense though.

Move him on now.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

People react differently to stressful situations. I don't like it when others criticise someone's mental health. No surprise that mens' suicide rates are high when men judge each other all the time.

Edited by NorthBank

29 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

People react differently to stressful situations. I don't like it when others criticse someone's mental health. No surprise that mens' suicide rates are high when men judge each other all the time.

You are 100% correct. He’s still a young man and he’s perfectly within his rights to get the best possible move for the next stage in his career. Some of the crap on twitter from our fans prior to the Dons game, about his inclusion in the starting line up was a disgrace. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

People react differently to stressful situations. I don't like it when others criticse someone's mental health. No surprise that mens' suicide rates are high when men judge each other all the time.

I know. Imagine for a minute if any of us, at a young age, left home and travelled to the other side of the world. Met up with our new employers for a bit, maybe even learned a few of their names. Then, we get shoved out for thirty minutes in front of 4,000 folk and if we don’t look like Lionel Messi, we’re a fcuking dud.

Would mess with my mental health. Oh, sorry, we’re discussing McGrath. My mistake.

3 hours ago, RussellV1 said:

McGraths father has been mentioned a few times in this situation, I wonder what kind of “influence” he’s having on things. 

😂

Get McGrath speaking to Joe Shaughnessy. His dad acted as his agent and fucked both us and Aberdeen off chasing the English dream, before ending up at Southend.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂

Get McGrath speaking to Joe Shaughnessy. His dad acted as his agent and fucked both us and Aberdeen off chasing the English dream, before ending up at Southend.

To be fair….Southend is a step up from St.Johnstone, not much difference between the likes of yourselves and Hamilton accies really, Davidson has worked wonders and must be given time.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂

Safe to say Shaughnessy was playing the long game and it's worked out beautifully for him.

Shaughnessy and beautiful in the same sentence? Oh why not. Big handsome b*****d that he is [emoji7]. 
368e33620242298d9092cb97d3cfb17a.thumb.jpeg.7f2543c9d8808b8d649b1c1136e8ad49.jpeg

Would be my POTY so far. Absolute dreamboat all round and a great captain [emoji173]️

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Safe to say Shaughnessy was playing the long game and it's worked out beautifully for him.

I think a team battling for the top half is about his level tbh, but it's a shame he couldn't make his money for a few years down South or at Aberdeen. I suspect a better agent would've managed that.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think a team battling for the top half is about his level tbh, but it's a shame he couldn't make his money for a few years down South or at Aberdeen. I suspect a better agent would've managed that.

Which, tbf, brings us back to your original point and yes, I wonder if there's a danger McGrath's agent has shot for the moon and fallen well short.

29 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

i could be wrong but did tony not make his debut at easter road in a dryborough cup game?

You are correct. Debut on 28th July 1973 in Dryborough Cup game at Easter Road. We got beat 2-1 and Tony started on the right wing.