The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Auld fart alert… Anyone remember Steve Galloway arriving on loan from a Swedish club? Pre-internet, no online information about him. Never mind judging a player after 30 minutes, the old North Bank had him sussed in 30 seconds. 😜

I was at his debut at ER, he looked immense……………….until someone gave him the ball.

5 hours ago, Saint Shug said:

Yeah the new system seems to be the reason we can now start looking up the table rather than down. 

Begs the question though, where would we be if we had done this earlier in the season?? The Dundee game at home for example we just weren’t at the races. A change of shape then or in the games that followed and we could be sitting with a few extra points on the board.  

That’s all irrelevant now of course but these next 4 games really could shape our season. We’ve got to fancy 8 or 9 points from them surely. 

Any time we have come up against the likes of Motherwell, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd who are all above us, I haven't been impressed with those teams. That gives me confidence we should be looking to move above said teams. It could so easily have been us sitting where Motherwell currently are if we had turned a couple of those umpteen draws into wins.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Auld fart alert… Anyone remember Steve Galloway arriving on loan from a Swedish club? Pre-internet, no online information about him. Never mind judging a player after 30 minutes, the old North Bank had him sussed in 30 seconds. 😜

Judged on his first touch and everyone could clearly see he was gash. 

When TF was appointed as CEO, in January 2016, we were 8th in the Championship, Alex Rae had just been appointed manager and the old board were desperately trying to sell the club.....

He retires with us fan-owned and settled again in the top tier with our best league position since his playing days. Who would have believed that 6 years ago? Thank you Tony!

Player, captain, manager, CEO, Scottish Cup winner, bona-fide club legend. Glad he’s staying on in an ambassador type role. Never got to be Top 6 Tony, but hey, he achieved so much for our club, we’ll let him off with that. 

32 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

When TF was appointed as CEO, in January 2016, we were 8th in the Championship, Alex Rae had just been appointed manager and the old board were desperately trying to sell the club.....

He retires with us fan-owned and settled again in the top tier with our best league position since his playing days. Who would have believed that 6 years ago? Thank you Tony!

A truly excellent post. :) 

I actually saw Tony make his debut at love street back in the day. When Sir Govan took the helm Fitzy was an integral part of the team who became known as Fergies furies. My favourite time as a fan. Fitzy is a gentleman and in the true sense of the word a club legend. I’m glad he’s going to stay on as club ambassador. 

The main reason that Tony lauds Sir Alex is because he saved his career as a professional footballer. Tony had only made 2 appearances for us in 74/75 when Fergie was appointed in late October. At that time he was in danger of dropping out of football altogether and was frequenting plenty Paisley boozers on a Saturday. Even when Fergie came in Tony was struggling to get a game , only in January after a disastrous home hammering from Queens Park did he get back into the team , and from then he never looked back !

And your not just saying that !

I'm going to sound like a broken record here about McGrath's agent being either shite at his job or completely at it, but it's nice to hear Jim confirm as much. He sounds pretty fucked with the situation as well.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Podcast with Goody

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm going to sound like a broken record here about McGrath's agent being either shite at his job or completely at it, but it's nice to hear Jim confirm as much. He sounds pretty fucked with the situation as well.

Disappointing as McGrath has always seemed like a nice enough lad and happy to settle in the one place for an extended period - he's always said as much, that he's a person who doesn't like upheaval and displacement and that he probably stayed in Irish football a bit too long as a result.

I'm not denying him the chance to move on, I'd love him to stay obviously but I do think for his career, the time is probably right to go but it's a shame what a scavenger agent can do to a young guy's mentality - selling him dreams of all sorts of big money moves.

Let's be honest, Birmingham, Swansea, Middlesbrough and Wigan haven't all dropped interest because of St. Mirren and our demands, these clubs probably haven't even approached us with a bid because they don't have to in order to talk to McGrath's representative. So the only alternative is that they've all dropped interest because they've spoken to his agent and the agent is demanding a fucking ludicrous amount of money for either Jamie, himself or both. And every time they approach then swiftly drop interest, Jamie McGrath is the person left wondering WTF is going on. I do feel genuinely sorry for him being badly represented.

We saw it last season with JDH, stupid agents playing stupid games.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Disappointing as McGrath has always seemed like a nice enough lad and happy to settle in the one place for an extended period - he's always said as much, that he's a person who doesn't like upheaval and displacement and that he probably stayed in Irish football a bit too long as a result.

I'm not denying him the chance to move on, I'd love him to stay obviously but I do think for his career, the time is probably right to go but it's a shame what a scavenger agent can do to a young guy's mentality - selling him dreams of all sorts of big money moves.

Let's be honest, Birmingham, Swansea, Middlesbrough and Wigan haven't all dropped interest because of St. Mirren and our demands, these clubs probably haven't even approached us with a bid because they don't have to in order to talk to McGrath's representative. So the only alternative is that they've all dropped interest because they've spoken to his agent and the agent is demanding a fucking ludicrous amount of money for either Jamie, himself or both. And every time they approach then swiftly drop interest, Jamie McGrath is the person left wondering WTF is going on. I do feel genuinely sorry for him being badly represented.

We saw it last season with JDH, stupid agents playing stupid games.

Either way he better knuckle down or he is going to end up having to sign a new deal with us 😂.

Hypothetically (as we need players to leave first) if we were to sign a competent left winger, would McGrath start ahead of Ronan and Kiltie just now? Pretty much no chance.