The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Grieve is raw but you can see he has something about him. To be called up by his country shows he is highly thought of. 

I thought that last night when he was played through, with a wee bit more confidence he would have taken it first time and lifted it over Lewis but it was his movement that created the chance. He definitely has potential.

I thought Grieve was pretty poor when he came on, first 5-10 minutes at least. He didn't really look like he knew what he was supposed to be doing, wasn't pressing well enough and often just looked like he was standing in the wrong place. He got a bit better towards the end of the game, but he's got a fair bit to learn. The drop off between Brophy and him was significant, but he's young, and looks like he has the physical attributes at least, so I'm hopeful he can do a job. Also, would be great for it to work out as it would be a great story.

How can you seriously give an opinion on a young player like Greive after he’s had about 30 mins of game time as a sub. Ffs. 

Of course he’s going to be raw and not up to the pace of our game. I’m content to trust the management team on this one. They see him train every day and they obviously see a good prospect.

10 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

How can you seriously give an opinion on a young player like Greive after he’s had about 30 mins of game time as a sub. Ffs. 

Agree. The North Bank used to take 5 minutes to mark someone’s card. Now it’s 30? Everyone’s gone soft. 

10 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

Aye, saw that last night. I assume we have fans older than 12, but who's to say based on that?!

It's a nice video though - I'm absolutely all for a bit of spotlight on the club of any kind. And fair play to the guy for taking the route less travelled for these videos. 

Mind, after watching the Saints game, it looks like he was in Perth last night so he may not be leaving with the best impression of the standard of our top flight.

11 hours ago, Saint Shug said:

That’s a decent set of results for us tonight after last nights win. Pretty much gained points on everyone round about us. Just a pity that Dundee Utd managed to get a winner late on. 

It's tempting to say that it's literally only taken two positive results to completely change the complexion of our season, but I think it's the change in system that's really made me feel optimistic. Jim just showing he's prepared to flex is such a positive sign. I think pretty much every player has looked more comfortable so far (poss exception of Ethan who's suffering a bit of a dip) and Ronan on Tuesday who I think we can all agree probably isn't a pure CM.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's tempting to say that it's literally only taken two positive results to completely change the complexion of our season, but I think it's the change in system that's really made me feel optimistic. Jim just showing he's prepared to flex is such a positive sign. I think pretty much every player has looked more comfortable so far (poss exception of Ethan who's suffering a bit of a dip) and Ronan* on Tuesday who I think we can all agree probably isn't a pure CM.

Ronan says he likes the formation, FWIW:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/connor-ronan-feels-formation-switch-26062161

I take it some of you caught a bit of the St Johnstone Dundee game and thought, "thank f**k that's not us", because we've all seen that movie before. Struggling for confidence, a badly balanced team and the luck, what little of it around, doesn't go your way. A 0-0 draw is what that game deserved, as both team were rank rotten. I sat there thinking, "how nice it is to be out of reach of the relegation spot". Not that I want to jinx it but this could be the second season in a row where we've been able to relax come the end of the league.

As for Greive, I should clarify. I've got nothing against him, I haven't written him off already, and of course I'd like the lad to do well. What I have heard is lots of people praising him, and I'll be honest I don't see where that is coming from. Just playing Devil's Advocate.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's tempting to say that it's literally only taken two positive results to completely change the complexion of our season, but I think it's the change in system that's really made me feel optimistic. Jim just showing he's prepared to flex is such a positive sign. I think pretty much every player has looked more comfortable so far (poss exception of Ethan who's suffering a bit of a dip) and Ronan on Tuesday who I think we can all agree probably isn't a pure CM.

Yeah the new system seems to be the reason we can now start looking up the table rather than down. 

Begs the question though, where would we be if we had done this earlier in the season?? The Dundee game at home for example we just weren’t at the races. A change of shape then or in the games that followed and we could be sitting with a few extra points on the board.  

That’s all irrelevant now of course but these next 4 games really could shape our season. We’ve got to fancy 8 or 9 points from them surely. 

13 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Of course he’s going to be raw and not up to the pace of our game. I’m content to trust the management team on this one. They see him train every day and they obviously see a good prospect.

Aye, fair enough, and I've criticised people for the same, definitely willing to give the guy a chance!

33 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think the kids call it 'Ricbait' 😉

A scurrilous rumour...

..although it's a genuine question. It's the same question posed about Erwin, Main and Dennis after their first appearances.

Auld fart alert… Anyone remember Steve Galloway arriving on loan from a Swedish club? Pre-internet, no online information about him. Never mind judging a player after 30 minutes, the old North Bank had him sussed in 30 seconds. 😜

Auld fart alert… Anyone remember Steve Galloway arriving on loan from a Swedish club? Pre-internet, no online information about him. Never mind judging a player after 30 minutes, the old North Bank had him sussed in 30 seconds. [emoji12]
They were right tho

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye, saw that last night. I assume we have fans older than 12, but who's to say based on that?!

It's a nice video though - I'm absolutely all for a bit of spotlight on the club of any kind. And fair play to the guy for taking the route less travelled for these videos. 

Mind, after watching the Saints game, it looks like he was in Perth last night so he may not be leaving with the best impression of the standard of our top flight.

It's great that we have a lot of young fans, as it assures our future. It is a bit embarrassing when some of them act like they're a firm of casuals, though! 🤣

Ach, he'll have been expecting a dire game, I'd imagine - two teams low on confidence and finding it hard to score.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Are we actually going to do any business this window apart from Grieve

If you can find them, have a listen to Goodwin's post match comments after the Aberdeen game, he's very frank about the position we are in but more importantly (a least for a section of support) he goes on to accept the formation/strategy wasn't working and that was the reason for the change.

5 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

It's great that we have a lot of young fans, as it assures our future. It is a bit embarrassing when some of them act like they're a firm of casuals, though! 🤣

Anyone remember the mess our "young team" would get into over the Renfrewshire cup, say two decades ago?