The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Incredibly we are only 6 points off 4th place.

Only the top three have lost less games too. We’ve always been hard to beat, but we’ve just found that bit extra to turn the games that would have been draws into narrow wins. We are doing just fine.
The winless run before Christmas seems a distant memory. We were struggling with injuries and COVID issues then, but that’s behind us now.
With Goodwin in the dugout I always have faith that he’s going to turn it around and find a way to win games and get us up the table.
Long way to go of course, but I think we can start to focus more on catching the teams above us than worrying about the teams below us.

13 hours ago, jambud said:

We have Lyness alreadyemoji3.png

Very true. I wonder if we will just go with him instead as the number 1 next season. 

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Only the top three have lost less games too. We’ve always been hard to beat, but we’ve just found that bit extra to turn the games that would have been draws into narrow wins. We are doing just fine.
The winless run before Christmas seems a distant memory. We were struggling with injuries and COVID issues then, but that’s behind us now.
With Goodwin in the dugout I always have faith that he’s going to turn it around and find a way to win games and get us up the table.
Long way to go of course, but I think we can start to focus more on catching the teams above us than worrying about the teams below us.

Most teams in this league go through a sticky patch. It's how teams react to it that defines the manager, he always finds a way to turn things around. 

Taking 6 out of 6 against United and Aberdeen is impressive. We used to get battered regularly at Tannadice and we rarely beat Aberdeen home or away. Nowadays we have the mindset that we can take these teams on and beat them on a regular basis. Obviously they have both regressed a little but we have improved in the last couple of years, no doubt about it.

Last night was a classic Goodwin performance, we looked well organised (minus 1 blip from Dunne which nearly cost us) and were in their faces when required.

14 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye. We signed up Fraser and gorgeous Joe on longer deals.

Ideally you'd hope we can keep Erhahon, with Brophy up front that's the spine of the team. Resigned to losing Alnwick but have faith they'll be able to find a decent replacement, after all we thought the Czech Wall was irreplaceable.

I’m sure bigger teams will consider AInwick but I’ve not seen anything yet to suggest he’s been approached for a PCA? Also I’m sure he gave an interview where he said money wasn’t his biggest motivator and he was happier with saints than he’s been elsewhere. (Or maybe I dreamt that). 

I’m sure bigger teams will consider AInwick but I’ve not seen anything yet to suggest he’s been approached for a PCA? Also I’m sure he gave an interview where he said money wasn’t his biggest motivator and he was happier with saints than he’s been elsewhere. (Or maybe I dreamt that). 

Would be great if he stayed, but I can see why he’s not signing the contract we’ve offered him. He’s just waiting to see if he gets a better one that suits him. If he doesn’t, he can always sign our deal later. I imagine he will get a better offer sooner rather than later, he’s brilliant and at 28 is still young for a keeper.

21 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Ah the online serenity that follows a run of good results....

No-one got a Kibble conspiracy theory or rant about the shambolic way the club is run for old time's sake?!

There's a guy on black and white army right now saying we are in such financial peril it's when, not if, the club dies if that's any interest to you?

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

No-one got a Kibble conspiracy theory or rant about the shambolic way the club is run for old time's sake?!

Fortunately that stuff seems contained in B&WA………………and hopefully it stays there.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I've always had faith in Goodwin. I think he'll leave us for bigger and better things eventually. I'd add 'sadly' to that, but the fact is it will be because of what he's done with us.

I think there are a few unpleasant characters on BAWA, and no I'm not referring to Shull or Faraway, but real trolls who want to cause upheaval.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

There's a guy on black and white army right now saying we are in such financial peril it's when, not if, the club dies if that's any interest to you?

I hate reading such things. As a SMISA member (and donor) I hope there's no truth to that, but with Covid is it beyond the realms of possibility? We shouldn't have as many strikers on the books, and should be trimming the squad, IMHO. However, our last accounts seem to suggest we're doing reasonably well financially. Can anyone assuage my fears?

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Fortunately that stuff seems contained in B&WA………………and hopefully it stays there.

I like to think it's rubbish, as I've said above, and have no reason to believe it prior to reading it on here. However, we seem to have too big a squad and that does worry me, when coupled with Covid.

Edited by AlbionSaint

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Oh, go on then, I'll say it.

Greive is just Erwin.

Discuss...

You've hardly given the boy a chance. He's not even racked up 45 mins of football and looked good on Saturday.

I'd be happy to see what he brings to the squad from next season once he's settled in here and adjusted to the game. 

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Oh, go on then, I'll say it.

Greive is just Erwin.

Discuss...

He looks more mobile, for one thing. 

I think the pace of the game surprised him last night. You could see him trying stuff that might well work at a shiter level, but Aberdeen's defenders are no mugs. He'll have to learn.

Back to my first point, though - Jim wanted more pace in the squad and while he's not exactly electric, he can at least stretch tired defences more than Main/Erwin. If you're a rival defender, see Brophy going off and Main coming on, you know you can push up a bit tighter and it's one less thing to worry about.