The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So, with MacPherson gone and McGrath on the way out, what do people think we actually need? After the change of shape in the last two games, and Kiltie and Henderson almost looking like new signings, I'm pretty relaxed about our squad all of a sudden. I guess tomorrow will be a better test, and a proper doing from Aberdeen will spike the anxiety levels, but I feel if we are going to get in anyone now it just needs to be a bit of quality, almost anywhere. We also definitely could do with a bit more pace, but it doesn't feel as urgent all of a sudden.

I actually wouldn't be that upset with a new first choice centre half, but I can't see that happening.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

So, with MacPherson gone and McGrath on the way out, what do people think we actually need? After the change of shape in the last two games, and Kiltie and Henderson almost looking like new signings, I'm pretty relaxed about our squad all of a sudden. I guess tomorrow will be a better test, and a proper doing from Aberdeen will spike the anxiety levels, but I feel if we are going to get in anyone now it just needs to be a bit of quality, almost anywhere. We also definitely could do with a bit more pace, but it doesn't feel as urgent all of a sudden.

I actually wouldn't be that upset with a new first choice centre half, but I can't see that happening.

Honestly, I still think we need creativity in midfield and a bit of pace out wide, though Henderson and Ronan leave me not too fussed if we don't. I thought Ronan caused all sorts of issues at Tannadice out on the left, particularly in the second half last week.

Erhahon, despite what some say on here and in spite of the fact that his all round game isn't anything like perfect, is still comfortably our best centre mid IMO. When he's fit, he needs to play, it's that simple. Beside him, Power doesn't do enough for me and I hold my breath every time he slides in on someone. I'm OK with Erhahon not meandering forward and someone in the mould of Allan would definitely being the best out in Ethan. We need an Allan more than we need a Gogic just now, that's for sure.

I'm a lot more comfortable that Goodwin, after 12 months has finally dropped the 3-5-2 notion and is now talking about it in the past tense. Think many of us have been saying for a while that 4-2-3-1 is the way ahead for us. Many don't think Brophy works up top himself but if you have Kiltie playing as close to him as he did last week at Tannadice, he'll be just fine.

Edited by djchapsticks

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Definitely not accepting him as a makeweight for McGrath if they're letting him go for nothing 😂

11 hours ago, AW saint said:

Would be disappointed if we dont try get him in

If the deal for Scott Allan nearly went through at the last minute of the previous window, then you’d expect Jim Goodwin will be looking to offer him a deal now, given that he’s surplus to requirements.

Edited by glenburn bud

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I’d take Hallberg as well.

10 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

If the deal for Scott Allan nearly went through at the last minute of the previous window, then you’d expect Jim Goodwin will be looking to offer him a deal now, given that’s he’s surplus to requirements.

I’m sure Scott Allan will be on a big wage so clearing Jamie will free up some cash. 

40 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

I’m sure Scott Allan will be on a big wage so clearing Jamie will free up some cash. 

I’d rather see McGrath away than hanging about to the end of the season. He’s obviously set on leaving and it makes sense all round for him to leave now. 

32 minutes ago, Ric said:

Allan is a bit of a FOMO player for me; I'm ambivalent in terms of him joining, but I'd prefer him not to go to a rival.

Pretty much, he's the sort of guy I'd be more concerned about landing up in Perth or Dundee than Niall McGinn.

15 minutes ago, AW saint said:

If McGrath starts over Kiltie then Goodwin has scored a massive own goal. Kiltie is playing a blinder just now and should keep the jersey

But we've seen plenty instances of them being played together, which amounts to the same thing, tbh.

McGrath on the bench tonight, for me. 

I’m really surprised McGrath is still here, clubs down south clearly aren’t as interested as much as he thought.

I wonder if he is regretting not taking the Aberdeen offer now?

I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the squad tonight.

6 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

McGrath is an excellent player. Of course he should be in the team.

Hard disagree with that, tbh. I think the notion that he's undroppable has been what's contributed to our predicament this season. He's pulled out of two games because he wanted (and still wants) away. Picking all the best players doesn't always equal the best team.