The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Ric said:

There is the slight problem of Goodwin's response regarding the "we won't do our rivals a favour" considering we loaned him to them in the first half of the season.

I think we have won out of the original loan deal. Cammy has been injured for large parts of it and when he has played, not made much of an impression, to the fans anyway, CD must like him. 

It was doing the player a favour more than anything I think, gave him a chance to play at this level and win a deal, which he has done by the looks of it. Not sure we are doing CM a favour by recalling him if the Saintees don't pay want to buy him this window. 

That was a great day out yesterday. Have to savour those ones.

Regarding Cammy, there will be twists and turns in the the next 8 days with comings and goings. There's a good chance McGrath will leave but we may well fail to bring in another midfielder. Injuries and suspensions could leave us short there in the run-in. Young Reid was on the bench yesterday..... get your cheque-book out Mr Brown!

Seeing Jack Baird at his level yesterday made me think of MacPherson actually. Plenty of game time with us, at 23 no longer a kid and has had ample opportunities to cement a place as a first team regular; just not been quite good enough unfortunately. 

EDIT: checked the stats and just 37 starts for MacPherson in the league the 3 seasons prior to this one (along with 19 appearances from the bench and was an unused sub 28 times).

Edited by Buttocks Brown

I've never really got the hype with MacPherson to be honest. I think he's ok, he's capable of scoring the odd good goal, and sometimes his delivery is good, but I often thought he was poor at the basics. He wasn't really a great passer at all for us, not a great tackler or ball winner either. 

He thinks he should be playing more often, and to be fair, he does need to be at his age. Davidson really likes him, Goodwin not so much obviously so you can't blame him for taking the offer. St Mirren are also quite right to recall him and ask for some money up front. We keep getting told how rich St Johnstone are so pay up. I expect they will in the next few days.

It's exactly the same as we did with Brophy.  We got him on a PCA from Killy, they wanted him out and we wanted him early so we paid a 'undisclosed' fee to get him in the Jan. Obviously, he wasn't on loan with us at the time, like MacPherson was in Perth. 

It's good business from St Mirren, if Sainties want him early, they pay for him. Fair nuff. We've been a soft touch and lost some wonderful talent for buttons over the last couple of decades. Good to see us not rolling over anymore. 

Well done Saints.  

10 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Brophy signed a PCA with us and then Killlie loaned him to us last January.

Nothing like this situation at all.

Yeah, but we paid a fee to get the loan. The only reason it was a loan instead of a full transfer at that point was because it was slightly better for Killie as it meant he couldn't play against them.

I've just seen that Hibs are linked with McGrath again. 

If true, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer us lower than the 350k (say around 200k) and include a player exchange as part of the deal.

£200k and Scott Allan. I’d bite your hand off thanks very much.

34 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I've just seen that Hibs are linked with McGrath again. 

If true, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer us lower than the 350k (say around 200k) and include a player exchange as part of the deal.

His agent is a dick. If he was any good whatsoever he'd be heading to a Championship club, either now or on a PCA. Instead we've got this endless pissing about. I just want him gone now, and I'm sure Jim and Jamie feel the same way.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

His agent is a dick. If he was any good whatsoever he'd be heading to a Championship club, either now or on a PCA. Instead we've got this endless pissing about. I just want him gone now, and I'm sure Jim and Jamie feel the same way.

His agent knows that the 6 figure fees will be headed his way rather than St Mirrens if McGrath doesn't move until the Summer. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

His agent knows that the 6 figure fees will be headed his way rather than St Mirrens if McGrath doesn't move until the Summer. 

Yeah. I'm well aware that moaning about agents is like moaning about Tories: they act precisely as we'd expect them to. But it still boils my piss. 

11 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I expect any deal between us and Hibs will definitely involve cash and a player. I reckon 200k a sell on clause and Scott Allan would seal it.

Something's falling down with the English teams; I'm intrigued to know what it is. That's now Boro, Sheff Utd, Bham and Swansea that have apparently been very keen (plus there was a wild link with, IIRC, Watford in the summer), while our demands don't seem outlandish. You then consider that Aberdeen tabled an offer then withdrew because of interest south of the border.

I think his agent keeps bluffing then getting found out. 

I will say this: I'm far more relaxed now about him potentially going at the end of the window. Based on Kiltie's last two games, we are under no pressure to replace McGrath so if he leaves late, it's fine.