The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

So is it true that we’ve recalled Cammy McPherson from the fakes, apparently he’s signed a PCA with them. We are looking for a fee and a development fee if they want him now ? Anyone else heard anything. 

I'm sure as long as St. Mirren offer him a contract as least equal to his current terms then they will be due a development fee.

In the cold light of financial reality, it's obviously sensible to maximise profit from your assets.

In the emotive world of sport, would a (presumably pretty pissed off) MacPherson in the squad offset any small fee we get?

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

In the cold light of financial reality, it's obviously sensible to maximise profit from your assets.

In the emotive world of sport, would a (presumably pretty pissed off) MacPherson in the squad offset any small fee we get?

Can't be that pissed off, he's just dodged a relegation dogfight and climbed a few places in the table.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The club are doing the right thing, if they want him now then pay up. Otherwise he’ll sit in the stand until May. Cammy always seemed to divide opinions with our fan base. Personally I really liked him, but he did seem to come to a stuttering halt, in terms of developing with us. 

It should be Interesting to see the eventual outcome.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

There's nothing consistent at all about what we're doing here, but it makes me feel like, for once, we're actually putting SMFC first.

Even if it's just a case of the Fakes chucking us £25k or something, it's better than nothing. 

You'd be owed, and guaranteed, more than £25k in the Summer regardless.

Presumably your pushing to earn more than the development compensation because you know we're desperate. Its opportunism at its finest but thats football. I suspect we'll end up giving you more than £50k and a sell on clause and he'll join the next week, but it would've been so easy for us to avoid this whole thing.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'd be owed, and guaranteed, more than £25k in the Summer regardless.

Presumably your pushing to earn more than the development compensation because you know we're desperate. Its opportunism at its finest but thats football. I suspect we'll end up giving you more than £50k and a sell on clause and he'll join the next week, but it would've been so easy for us to avoid this whole thing.

How legally binding is a PCA? Could you guys not just withdraw it? They sound like the sort of thing an employment lawyer could tear to shreds if they wanted.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

How legally binding is a PCA? Could you guys not just withdraw it? They sound like the sort of thing an employment lawyer could tear to shreds if they wanted.

We had the Richie Brittain saga where we ended up getting £50k + a minibus from County to cancel it, but I've no idea how legal that was tbh. They sound really complicated to get out unless another club wants them, and I don't think St Mirren do?

You'd likely demand a similar fee to take on his contract for next season, seeing as this is the last year you can get development compensation. We either pay more than the development compensation and get him now, pay the compensation and get him in the Summer, or try and find a way out the deal which could be any form of price and would rumble on beyond this window anyway.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We had the Richie Brittain saga where we ended up getting £50k + a minibus from County to cancel it, but I've no idea how legal that was tbh. They sound really complicated to get out unless another club wants them, and I don't think St Mirren do?

You'd likely demand a similar fee to take on his contract for next season, seeing as this is the last year you can get development compensation. We either pay more than the development compensation and get him now, pay the compensation and get him in the Summer, or try and find a way out the deal which could be any form of price and would rumble on beyond this window anyway.

A John McGinn to Hibs type deal...half the development fee plus a third of any sell-on.

So, half the development fee.

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

A John McGinn to Hibs type deal...half the development fee plus a third of any sell-on.

TBH he might be alright at Championship level so you never know what might happen in terms of a sell on, but aye, this feels like two homeless blokes scurrying through shite for a penny, theres no real victory for anyone here.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

TBH he might be alright at Championship level so you never know what might happen in terms of a sell on, but aye, this feels like two homeless blokes scurrying through shite for a penny, theres no real victory for anyone here.

The season we won the Championship Jack Ross gave McPherson his debut as a right back, then defensive midfield.

Personally I think he's better going forward and would do well for you in the Championship next season.

24 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

It'd be an amazing turnaround if MacPherson ever generates any sell-on revenue. It seems our nose has been put out by the way we found out about the deal so we've callled him back in an attempt to squeeze a few extra pennies from the Fakes.

Feel a bit sorry for CM who going by Goodwin's comments will still not actually be in our first team plans, it's been a bit of a strange situation allround, all this fuss over a player who's Bottom6 level at best - hope it works out in Saints and MacPherson's favour.

Edited by btb

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

The season we won the Championship Jack Ross gave McPherson his debut as a right back, then defensive midfield.

Personally I think he's better going forward and would do well for you in the Championship next season.

He has moments where he looks good on the ball, aside from times when he ignores simple things to try and spray 40 yarders about, but just continuously lets himself down off it. Can't track runners, can't win the ball back consistently.

I'd guess he'd get away with that more a tier below so would be better off.

I wouldn't be down much on the signing if he was brought in as a squad player tbh, but paying a ~6 figure fee for him to turn our season around is mental and I will thoroughly shake my head when it comes to pass.

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Great noise up from us with this. Nothing better than kicking a team when they're down, especially when its the Farmers. 

Get them doon.

TBH you'd have been better just letting us implode, rather than helping create a feeling of injustice.

In saying that I'm not sure this spineless group we've got have it in them to fight back.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBH you'd have been better just letting us implode, rather than helping create a feeling of injustice.

In saying that I'm not sure this spineless group we've got have it in them to fight 

Given that you've got 3 million in the bank, im sure it won't cause too much duress. 

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Given that you've got 3 million in the bank, im sure it won't cause too much duress. 

It's around £6m/7m just now tbh.