The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I thought that Grieve showed up well today.

Maybe it's because he's been through a different development route, but he actually looks like he knows what a forward should be doing.

A promising performance.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I thought that Grieve showed up well today.

Maybe it's because he's been through a different development route, but he actually looks like he knows what a forward should be doing.

A promising performance.

Given he’s come off the bench twice, safe to assume Erwin and Main are in the bomb squad?

He certainly looks that, after Dennis, he's the back up to Brophy.

Who would take Main and Erwin? Would be cash needed for Main as he is contracted to 2023? Erwin annoys me as did Jim not sign him, but never gets on the park? When he does, he has been shite... but how do we sell him to other teams if no one sees what he could do for them?

21 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
48 minutes ago, FTOF said:
He certainly looks that, after Dennis, he's the back up to Brophy.

Who would take Main and Erwin? Would be cash needed for Main as he is contracted to 2023? Erwin annoys me as did Jim not sign him, but never gets on the park? When he does, he has been shite... but how do we sell him to other teams if no one sees what he could do for them?

I'd hoped Killie might take Erwin back but they are clearly aiming - and spending - much higher. We are really going to struggle to find suitors for these players.

1 hour ago, McG said:

Kiltie boy is up and running 🙂

predicting another goal for him against Aberdeen on Tuesday as well.

Spot on. He always looked good at Killie but he had stalled with us. Now really looking back to the player we thought he was. Give the lad a decent run in the team. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd hoped Killie might take Erwin back but they are clearly aiming - and spending - much higher. We are really going to struggle to find suitors for these players.

Erwin is out of contract in the summer so not too long before we can cut ties.

It's rumoured that Main is in talks with Doncaster (rovers, not Neil).

Good, solid stuff from us again today.
On Tuesday we were a bit under the cosh and we had two tricky looking away games on the immediate horizon.
Fast forward five days and we’ve deservedly won them both, things certainly look a bit brighter.
Main and McGrath out, Greive and Kiltie in, it seems. A fine exchange and perhaps an upgrade in both senses.
If you play Greg in a number 10 role behind the striker he’s going to regularly set up and/or score goals. If you stick him out wide, he’s going to struggle, because he’s not a winger. Two games through the middle, two assists, one goal and another which was unfortunately disallowed. What a meaningful contribution, the kind we’ve been crying out for from our attacking players all season.
Get McGrath out the club ASAP and keep Kiltie in that role for the three season definers we have coming up.
Aberdeen (h)
Dundee (a)
Motherwell (h)
Six or more points and we are rocking with the top six a realistic target. Three or less and we are back in trouble, looking over our shoulder. Four or five and we are kinda the same as we are now, could go either way. We go into them in form and full of confidence.

In addition to Kiltie performing like a new signing in a role that is suited to him, Alex Grieve also looked excellent in his 25 minute showing yesterday. Definitely the sort of guy who will give opposition defenders a sore head and a far better option than either Main or Erwin.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In addition to Kiltie performing like a new signing in a role that is suited to him, Alex Grieve also looked excellent in his 25 minute showing yesterday. Definitely the sort of guy who will give opposition defenders a sore head and a far better option than either Main or Erwin.

I really liked the look of the boy Greive, he looks like the dynamic type of Striker Jim described. I liked the way he has one thought in mind when driving toward goal. Definitely going to provide us with something different.

Amazing what a couple of wins and decent performances can do. Sounds like we are all pulling in the same direction again. Jim changing things up, only need to look at what happened to Davidson yesterday and the abuse they'll got after the game. Could easily have been Jim.

As I said, can't get too carried away yet as Aberdeen are so unpredictable and we have been awful against Dundee this season so far. 

1 minute ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

Not got to see him yet, but does Grieve give us the pace we have needed? How does he differ from the existing strikers out of curiosity.

Early days so I won't get carried away. However in his short cameo he shows urgency and desire and is willing to get a shot away. Reminds me of Ross Stewart - raw and a bit gangly but appears to have a football brain unlike Main.

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Early days so I won't get carried away. However in his short cameo he shows urgency and desire and is willing to get a shot away. Reminds me of Ross Stewart - raw and a bit gangly but appears to have a football brain unlike Main.

Seems to be pretty direct. Also, held his own against the Ayr CH's and laid the ball off.

He had one run from just inside the opposition half, where he set off and challenged the defenders to catch him. He was fouled just outside the box. Just a pity he didn't get the chance to get a shot off.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a promising start.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

So is it true that we’ve recalled Cammy McPherson from the fakes, apparently he’s signed a PCA with them. We are looking for a fee and a development fee if they want him now ? Anyone else heard anything. 

Jim Goodwin sets out St Mirren stance on Cammy MacPherson as he tells St Johnstone to cough up if they want midfielder back - Daily Record

MacPherson recalled by St Mirren after agreeing deal with St Johnstone - STV News

There's more discussion about it on The Fake's thread.

Edited by FTOF