The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Hope not. He’s had more than enough chances and produced next to f**k all each time.

I dunno, I think he could still offer something from the bench in a system that suits him. I was up for getting rid when he was clearly going to be getting played out of position, but as back up to Henderson/Kiltie, he might be happy filling that role. I'd doubt we could get better (as a back-up) in this window.

I really like Scott Allan as a player, but do we actually need him? Is it not another injury prone, not particularly quick attacking midfielder. We've already got Kiltie, Ronan and McAllister to fill that role. I just wonder if the money could be better spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I dunno, I think he could still offer something from the bench in a system that suits him. I was up for getting rid when he was clearly going to be getting played out of position, but as back up to Henderson/Kiltie, he might be happy filling that role. I'd doubt we could get better (as a back-up) in this window.

What could he offer though? He’s living of half a decent season before disappearing to Derby. He’s not quick and he doesn’t defend and can’t tackle. Productivity since returning is horrific. If he wasn’t a product of our system then everyone would be wanting us to get him released sharpish. Time to ditch the sentiment and bin the guy off so that he can go and turn out for Montrose.

20 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

What could he offer though? He’s living of half a decent season before disappearing to Derby. He’s not quick and he doesn’t defend and can’t tackle. Productivity since returning is horrific. If he wasn’t a product of our system then everyone would be wanting us to get him released sharpish. Time to ditch the sentiment and bin the guy off so that he can go and turn out for Montrose.

Not sure that's true - didn't have more assists than anyone else last season? He's still got something in his locker, and if the system requires him to defend less, then that might help.

I agree that he shouldn't be getting an extension, I'm saying we'd struggle for a better bit-part player who's broadly happy on the bench. If we have to pay to get rid of him then we might as well keep him. Of course, if someone came in for him, that's a different story.

28 minutes ago, GAD said:

I really like Scott Allan as a player, but do we actually need him? Is it not another injury prone, not particularly quick attacking midfielder. We've already got Kiltie, Ronan and McAllister to fill that role. I just wonder if the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Allan is not injury prone but has diabetes but is now managing it. His vision and passing gets round his overall pace which to be fair is not the worst. He would be a genuine asset imo. There are not too many players with his ability going in our league. 

31 minutes ago, GAD said:

I was thinking about this earlier. I guess the only possible advantage would be that Ronan will be away at the end of the season, so maybe he'd be a decent replacement there. But yes, we don't actually need to replace McGrath.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was thinking about this earlier. I guess the only possible advantage would be that Ronan will be away at the end of the season, so maybe he'd be a decent replacement there. But yes, we don't actually need to replace McGrath.

Yeah, I guess like AW Saint said, Allan has more of a Pedigree at this level. I guess the thing about Tuesday is we actually looked quite good going forward for a change, with Ronan and Kiltie playing far better than they have been. It's only one game though, so was it the change of system, or just guys being a bit better rested and energised and not suffering Covid? Maybe Allan is too good an option to pass on, but it feels like the player who will suffer will be Kiltie again, and that seems harsh. Or Jim will try and fit in all 3 which doesn't sound great either.

12 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I guess like AW Saint said, Allan has more of a Pedigree at this level. I guess the thing about Tuesday is we actually looked quite good going forward for a change, with Ronan and Kiltie playing far better than they have been. It's only one game though, so was it the change of system, or just guys being a bit better rested and energised and not suffering Covid? Maybe Allan is too good an option to pass on, but it feels like the player who will suffer will be Kiltie again, and that seems harsh. Or Jim will try and fit in all 3 which doesn't sound great either.

I think the ironic thing was, we've been trying to squeeze these guys into a system that didn't suit, and as soon as McGrath declared himself mentally unfit to play, we switched to a system that probably could have accommodated them both.

I get why folk are worried about signing the likes of Scott Allan. Maybe Jim is looking towards next season when Ronan will be back at Wolves, unless he’s thinking about making him a permanent signing. Unlikely but you never know. 

Allan would be a terrific signing for any bottom six team. But having said that we do need some pace in the squad. Should be an interesting few weeks in what’s left of the current window. 

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Only just caught up with Jim's interview there. Delighted to hear him talking about that wingback system in the past tense; he did say he may use it again, but I'm convinced this is the right move for us with the personnel we've got available. Tait, McCarthy & Henderson are all good players at this level and they were all virtually unpickable in a 3-5-2. Fraser is better as a RB; I'm happy with Tanser being less attacking. He tends to deliver his crosses from deep anyway so it may not even stifle his game. Even McAllister stands more chance of getting a game now.

Only person I can see missing out here is maybe Millar.

If Tanser isn't attacking he's a passenger and we can't afford a passenger at Full Back, from what I've seen of him (every game this season) I think he's defensively weak......St Johnstone stopped playing him when they played a back four I believe.

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I get why folk are worried about signing the likes of Scott Allan. Maybe Jim is looking towards next season when Ronan will be back at Wolves, unless he’s thinking about making him a permanent signing. Unlikely but you never know. 

Allan would be a terrific signing for any bottom six team. But having said that we do need some pace in the squad. Should be an interesting few weeks in what’s left of the current window. 

A best case scenario With Allan would be a PCA for next season, if that was feasible? Think any available budget right now should go towards impact players on the wings. Delighted for Henderson, though we will need to rotate.

A best case scenario With Allan would be a PCA for next season, if that was feasible? Think any available budget right now should go towards impact players on the wings. Delighted for Henderson, though we will need to rotate.
Wishful thinking but the Charkes-Cook boy at RC would definitely fit that bill.

1 hour ago, weebud said:

St Johnstone stopped playing him when they played a back four I believe.

We played a back 4 once last season.

Tanser and Booth rotated last season, Booth was more reliable, especially defensively, so by the end of the season was getting the nod as the manager valued that in the bigger games.

8 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Correct, that is wishful thinking.

He's not getting any younger and has health "issues". Don't get me wrong, the lad's talent is not in doubt, but if he was able to maintain that level of talent consistently then he'd be in the Hibs team and not looking at other options.

Would Allan, joining us next season on a PCA, improve the team? Probably, considering we won't have McGrath or Ronan. I'd much rather see a loan deal for the rest of the season and make a decision after that.

16 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
17 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

He was actually the top of my list of preferred targets. Can play wide, chips in with goals and causes defences bother. The type of player we have had missing from what we had available last season.

Edited by smellthepaw

The whole situation with McGrath is not ideal. We have a player who could be stuck with us until the end of the season and is not happy. His agent must shoulder some blame here and should be getting a deal for his client in place. 

This is a sad situation for a player admired by our fans but he is now showing disregard for team mates and fans alike. 

Can only hope he goes soon.