The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

18 months...so if he proves successful and gets attention from bigger clubs, he will leave on a free. :( 

McGrath got a two and a half year deal when he came in. It's forgotten now but he was, at best, average in his first eight or nine months, so I can imagine the outcry from folk if it looked like we were going to be stuck with him until 2023 at that point. He didn't really start showing what he could do until about the time we started having the covid issues in the autumn of 2020. By the time we were aware of just how good he was it was probably already too late to get him on a new deal - and it was obvious when he changed agent in the summer he was planning to leave.

On another note, how did we manage to get a work permit for Greive? Is there some loophole because New Zealand is part of the Commonwealth?

Edited by Stu

Let’s hope McGrath goes in the next day or 2, far better for everyone involved if he goes now. 

No Curtis Main last night either so hopefully he is away too and we can get some new signings in.

Greg Kiltie was tremendous last night, 2 brilliant assists and a goal that should of stood as well.

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

On another note, how did we manage to get a work permit for Greive? Is there some loophole because New Zealand is part of the Commonwealth?

If he has a grandparent born in the UK he can get an 'ancestral' visa which lasts for 5 years.

I've no idea if this is the visa he is on or not, but I think it's fairly straight forward for a lot of folk from New Zealand to get UK visas.

15 minutes ago, McG said:

Let’s hope McGrath goes in the next day or 2, far better for everyone involved if he goes now. 

No Curtis Main last night either so hopefully he is away too and we can get some new signings in.

Greg Kiltie was tremendous last night, 2 brilliant assists and a goal that should of stood as well.

You would have to assume if the new lad Greive was included in the subs, that Main was either injured or he’s about to leave.

Again it would be best for all concerned if Main found another club, it just hasn’t worked out for him.

Just now, glenburn bud said:

You would have to assume if the new lad Greive was included in the subs, that Main was either injured or he’s about to leave.

Again it would be best for all concerned if Main found another club, it just hasn’t worked out for him.

I'd honestly loan him to Arbroath for the rest of the season. He'd do ok for them, at that level.

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Definitely not injured plus we had 2 keepers on the bench lastnight I’m sure so he has to be on the way out mate.

11 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

If he has a grandparent born in the UK he can get an 'ancestral' visa which lasts for 5 years.

I've no idea if this is the visa he is on or not, but I think it's fairly straight forward for a lot of folk from New Zealand to get UK visas.

Only five years? You mean to say if he's any good we're going to lose him in 2027 because Farage is going to come and force him onto a boat? Poor stuff from the club...

Talking of formations, the BBC were getting themselves all in a mess yesterday regarding ours...

It started off like this...

3q05G8O.png

..and it kept changing during the game, not sure who sets these things up, but it was a 4-2-3-1 formation, something Goodwin said himself in the post match interview.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

> Goodwin, for 6 months, sticking to a formation that wasn't working and going on an 11 game no-win run.

> First game in 2022, where he changes that formation and we win.

I don't think it is quite fair to say it wasn't working - we did have an unbeaten run of 6 games earlier in the season using Goodwin's preferred formation. In that 11 game run there were really only a few of really poor performances - Dundee at home, Livingston at home and Rangers away. I'd argue our best performance of the season was in that run with the 2-2 draw at Motherwell. 

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

I don't think it is quite fair to say it wasn't working - we did have an unbeaten run of 6 games earlier in the season using Goodwin's preferred formation. In that 11 game run there were really only a few of really poor performances - Dundee at home, Livingston at home and Rangers away. I'd argue our best performance of the season was in that run with the 2-2 draw at Motherwell. 

I say that in comparison to last season. Sure, every game is different, but what was working last season did not seem to be this one, and we've been crying out for him to try something different. He tried something different and we won. No guarantees that something different will work in the next league game, of course.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

I say that in comparison to last season. Sure, every game is different, but what was working last season did not seem to be this one, and we've been crying out for him to try something different. He tried something different and we won. No guarantees that something different will work in the next league game, of course.

I think most of us have just wanted to see that flexibility. A demonstration that different systems suit different oppositions and that, once it's clear we've been tactically sussed out, we have the capacity to change things/spring a surprise.

A United fan commented that it looked like our approach took them by surprise last night, and we should have been well out of sight by the time Courts had managed to react. Fucking brilliant: more of that, please.

Edited by Coventry Saint

The formation had to change. The 3-5-2 was struggling and teams had found it out a bit. We didn't have the players to continually play that all the time against every team. 4-2-3-1 really helped us a lot, I think it was necessary to mix it up and it helped us yesterday. 

Great result last night but probably most pleased for Jim.

I don't know how shaky the peg was but he must have felt under a lot of pressure about keeping his job.

3 points last night will hopefully see us kick on and let Jim get back to focusing on climbing the table. 

Wigan, but not Birmingham, mentioned in the Record this morning in relation to McGrath. Says their Chief Executive Mal Brannigan is a big admirer and that they worked together at Dundalk.
Come and get him then so we can sign Scott Allan

Only just caught up with Jim's interview there. Delighted to hear him talking about that wingback system in the past tense; he did say he may use it again, but I'm convinced this is the right move for us with the personnel we've got available. Tait, McCarthy & Henderson are all good players at this level and they were all virtually unpickable in a 3-5-2. Fraser is better as a RB; I'm happy with Tanser being less attacking. He tends to deliver his crosses from deep anyway so it may not even stifle his game. Even McAllister stands more chance of getting a game now.

Only person I can see missing out here is maybe Millar.