The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Doesn't say anything about a loan on STV website - either way, we wouldn't be loaning a player from an amateur side.

It was on the football focus 6.16 during the news programme.  As you say ether way as long as he performs. 

I see you guys have signed Alex Grieve. A highly rated talent over here and having watched him a few times, he is a good player but the level here is lower than the Premier League so will certainly be interesting to see how he makes the step up.

Wouldn’t mind seeing I’m on loan at East Fife as he would certainly do a job with us.

55 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

I see you guys have signed Alex Grieve. A highly rated talent over here and having watched him a few times, he is a good player but the level here is lower than the Premier League so will certainly be interesting to see how he makes the step up.

Wouldn’t mind seeing I’m on loan at East Fife as he would certainly do a job with us.

He's just come off the bench at Tannadice and looked quite lively, so I suspect he'll be in and about our first team.

You can have Lee Erwin, though.

On 17/01/2022 at 15:03, Finn Seemann said:

I do, and that is a fair point, but the gap will widen once we've taken your best player.  

Hi mate,

I take it McGrath signed for you as he isn’t in the squad tonight?

thank you.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's just come off the bench at Tannadice and looked quite lively, so I suspect he'll be in and about our first team.

Going to be honest here, I don't think he looked all that lively. Not that he had much to do.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Going to be honest here, I don't think he looked all that lively. Not that he had much to do.

He was on the park eight minutes, his movement looked good, he showed a great touch to beat his man before being fouled in the corner, and he got a shot away. Maybe my standards are low, but given the state of the match when he came on, I think he did well.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He was on the park eight minutes, his movement looked good, he showed a great touch to beat his man before being fouled in the corner, and he got a shot away. Maybe my standards are low, but given the state of the match when he came on, I think he did well.

Not saying he was bad.

We looked more like our normal selves tonight after a ponderous and COVID hit few games.
Hopefully we don’t see McGrath in the jersey again, it’s clear his head has been elsewhere for months and players like Ronan, Kiltie and Henderson are more than able replacements, and they actually contribute goals and/or assists.
Also, further confirmation that Erhahon needs to be the first name on that midfield team sheet. We’ve won four games this season and he’s started all of them.
I’ve been reading and hearing quite a bit about how we’ve declined since last season, thought I’d check it out.
After 21 games last season we had 23 points, at the same point this season we have… 22 points. So yeah, a very slight decline, I suppose.
We certainly aren’t safe yet but we are closer to 5th than bottom. Next up in the league we have Aberdeen, Dundee and Motherwell. Nothing to fear there and if we could get six or more points we can start to look upward instead of over our shoulder.

34 minutes ago, McG said:

Hi mate,

I take it McGrath signed for you as he isn’t in the squad tonight?

thank you.

Not yet - not sure he would have made much difference though - our manager would have either benched him or played him out of position.  

Looks like Goodwin has our man's number...like the rest of the league.

Edited by Finn Seemann

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Said the same thing to my mate. Looked decent in the short time he was on the park.

Just now, Finn Seemann said:

Not yet - not sure he would have made much difference though - our manager would have either benched him or played him out of position.  

On the plus side, it looks like you might be signing T.Watt.

3 minutes ago, Finn Seemann said:

Looks like Goodwin has our man's number...like the rest of the league.

Get back in you’re box now.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

On the plus side, it looks like you might be signing T.Watt.

Aye, the league's topscorer benched for a boy who hasn't played all season (and wasn't the answer any time he has played).  Bet T.Watt is wondering what he has let himself in for.  Guessing he never actually listened to Courts when signing for his bumper new salary.

3 minutes ago, McG said:

Get back in you’re box now.

Thank you.

Jeesus, if you are gonna go all big man on t'internet at least get your grammar right.  Apostrophe catastrophe alert.

I was only trying to liven up your page anyway - it was always bollocks - fun while it lasted.

'til next time 😘

Edited by Finn Seemann

58 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I hope the club are trying their best to get Erhahon to sign a longer deal. 

Sure he can be a bit hit and miss but he is talented. Look a better team with him in it. 

The St Mirren co commentator was absolutely slaughtering him last night, for basically no reason that I could see. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I hope the club are trying their best to get Erhahon to sign a longer deal. 

Sure he can be a bit hit and miss but he is talented. Look a better team with him in it. 

I’ve been very critical of Erhahon  in the past, but credit where it’s due, he’s making a real difference when in the team. 

He’s still relatively young and will make mistakes, but hopefully continues to progress and make a difference.

I doubt Erhahon will stay past his current deal ending in 2023, he will be the next to go on to get a move. Hopefully earn us some money in the process as he is a very talented young player. 

I wasn't steadfast in my defence of Goodwin's preference for 3-5-2 however I did think it has it's benefits. It was good to see Goodwin's flexibility in changing the system last night. Sadly much less likely to have marauding runs by Shaughnessy in this formation. Players being accustomed to a couple of useable formations can only be a good thing. I think we have good players in key positions like Shaughnessy, McCarthy, Erhahon, Power and Brophy. The issue is if they are injured/suspended their replacements aren't good enough. 

I hope McCarthy is back as soon as possible - any sign of a setback in his injury recovery and I would be punting one of the 3 strikers and getting a new centre half in. Dunne can not be relied on. I don't know if he gets bored during games or just lacks concentration in general. Last night while the ball is bobbling about the 6 yard box he is sauntering back on the edge of the penalty box - hopeless decision making. 

What an improvement last night. 

Positives:

The tactics were much better. It meant Tanser didn't get forward as much but I think we can live with that for now.

I hope this is the real Greg Kiltie: what a performance that was.

Jay Henderson had a really solid game. He's young, and he'll still have inconsistencies in his game, but he gave us so much more forward poise than we've seen recently. his goal was magic - not just the strike but the build-up - and I think the inevitable goal of the month nomination will give him as big confidence boost.

I've been saying for a while that McGrath needed to leave in the summer, and I think over the next few games that point will be proven. I'm not having a go at him - he is far from carrying the blame here - but as our best individual player he was virtually undroppable and it was throwing the balance of the team right off. We saw a much better performance from Ronan and Kiltie last night, who both looked more comfortable.

Ethan had a good game too and was mostly very good on the ball.

Nice to see Brophy get a poacher's goal. If he's to score more goals generally, he needs to be in those sorts of positions more often. 

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Greive.

Negatives:

We are still so fucking brainless/panicky at times - so often playing into trouble or handing the ball back when there is no need to do so. Likewise just losing the head in and around the opposition box, and opting to attempt a worldy rather than playing it intelligently. The second goal, and the disallowed goal too, were examples of the latter and I want to see more of it.

I'm not convinced by Dunne, not by a long way. He's probably the worst offender for blindly lumping the ball forwards. He got away with blatantly grappling a United player last night, but the forward complained and then got his free kick a few minutes later when Dunne did exactly the same thing again.