The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The Thistle v Kilmarnock match was dreadful too.

I didn't think it was too bad. Killie through it away, but Thistle's goal was a peach and it created a bit of late drama. Entertaining enough, I thought.

Ayr are losing, I noticed.

12 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

I didn't think it was too bad. Killie through it away, but Thistle's goal was a peach and it created a bit of late drama. Entertaining enough, I thought.

Ayr are losing, I noticed.

It was never a penalty in a million years.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

It was never a penalty in a million years.

He handled the ball, in the box, which prevented a cross. Harsh but fair, IMHO. 

The most outrageous penalty decision I have seen is Celtic v Livingston this season. Now that was never a penalty...

Must admit, though I'm not panicking over lack of transfer activity, it is a bit disheartening seeing every other team in the league making a few signings and moves happening around about us whilst we're staying still. 

Our squad doesn't exactly look overly bloated on paper, I've certainly seen much larger St. Mirren squads, particularly under Stubbs and Kearney. We must be paying far too much money to too many underperformers if we cannot even squeeze another body in.

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Must admit, though I'm not panicking over lack of transfer activity, it is a bit disheartening seeing every other team in the league making a few signings and moves happening around about us whilst we're staying still. 

Our squad doesn't exactly look overly bloated on paper, I've certainly seen much larger St. Mirren squads, particularly under Stubbs and Kearney. We must be paying far too much money to too many underperformers if we cannot even squeeze another body in.

True but has another other team around our level made a signing that has made us truly jealous? 

I think we all knew we'd be waiting on the domino effect to kick in. Need something to start a chain of reactions to get the ball rolling for us. 

It's a notoriously shite window. Most clubs will be trying to offload shit onto another. 

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head I think mate, I think we are paying over the odds wages wise for certain players.

20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

True but has another other team around our level made a signing that has made us truly jealous? 

I think we all knew we'd be waiting on the domino effect to kick in. Need something to start a chain of reactions to get the ball rolling for us. 

It's a notoriously shite window. Most clubs will be trying to offload shit onto another. 

We'll take McGrath off you if you want? 

Do any of you Saints fans know what the latest with his move to Aberdeen is? Scott Burns intimated during the week it was pretty much done but heard the square root of f**k all since. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It's a weird one. Jim clearly doesn't really think we need to add to the squad. He's said so a few times. Yeah, he's talked about more pace, but there isn't really a way to fit more pace into the system we play.

If we were four wins better off in the league, nobody would bat an eyelid if we didn't do any business. But collective faith has been shaken and it's unsettling to think we can't find a way to improve on what we've seen so far this season.

TBH, I wish McGrath had gone in the summer. I'm struggling to see an upside to him having stayed, tbh. And now I wish he would go now. He's a good lad and I hold no grudge, but he's become the main story at the club and we needed to be able to move on.

55 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's a weird one. Jim clearly doesn't really think we need to add to the squad. He's said so a few times. Yeah, he's talked about more pace, but there isn't really a way to fit more pace into the system we play.

If we were four wins better off in the league, nobody would bat an eyelid if we didn't do any business. But collective faith has been shaken and it's unsettling to think we can't find a way to improve on what we've seen so far this season.

TBH, I wish McGrath had gone in the summer. I'm struggling to see an upside to him having stayed, tbh. And now I wish he would go now. He's a good lad and I hold no grudge, but he's become the main story at the club and we needed to be able to move on.

To be fair I totally agree with you. McGrath should have went pre season. I think we could have benefitted from having Scott Allan instead. 

As much as I like McGrath he has only shown glimpses of the player he can be. Is this why there are not a queue of clubs banging on our door? 

I don't think our present squad is good enough to keep us out of trouble so I hope Goodwin has a few aces up his sleeves. 

11 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Do any of you Saints fans know what the latest with his move to Aberdeen is? Scott Burns intimated during the week it was pretty much done but heard the square root of f**k all since. 

6 hours ago, AW saint said:

McGrath now signed his PCA apparently

16 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Not according to the Scotsman. Birmingham and Wigan now interested.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind his agent is at it here. It's his job, so that's fine, but the danger for Saints is we don't get this resolved in the window and are left with an unsettled player for the rest of the season. Or we get Kenny McLeaned and he leaves on the last day with no time to fill his slot in the squad. (I won't say replace as I don't think a like-for-like is 1) feasible and 2) what we need).

12 hours ago, McG said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head I think mate, I think we are paying over the odds wages wise for certain players.

Guys like McAllister, Tait, Flynn, and probably Main, Erwin and Dennis will all be on first team starter wages that they are struggling to justify at the moment. There are guys like that at every club to be fair.

If Jamie stays I am not worried about him being unsettled as he has a new club and higher wages to look forward to in a few months. Not all players down tools when they sign a PCA (eg the snake Broadfoot).

Was told a while back that Wigan were very keen on McGrath so wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there. My surprise would have been if he ended up in Aberdeen.

12 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

That would be the domino effect I was talking about. Perhaps Aberdeen selling Hedges and then giving us a few quid for McGrath would help move things along. 

Don't have a clue bud. Seems to be a done deal going by what everyone is saying. A couple of months ago I'd have been surprised if he went to another Premiership team but he hasn't been playing well for a while. Folk blame the tactics but even when we were creating loads of chances against Aberdeen and Hearts (2 games that stick out) he wasn't heavily involved.

Keeping him till the summer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as he is still a great player, a great attitude and will make a difference in our league placings but it has an air of inevitability about it that he'll be away this month imo.