The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I agree that Stubbs signings were atrocious and he certainly destroyed the good feeling at the club at that time - however I think you underestimate the scale of the building job required - though to be fair that's with the benefit of hindsight. However, the likes of Baird, McShane, Smith and Reilly have shown over the last few years they weren't good enough to make the step up, Morgan had left and the likes of Samson, Eckersley and MacKenzie were past it. 

We probably needed to bring 7 or 8 SPL quality players in that summer, and ended up with Heaton, Kpekewa and King. 

The contributors to this thread in the past two hours, could have signed better players,

As DJC highlighted, the 75K spent on Heaton is almost criminal.

I think we all bought into the "much bigger clubs were after him" shite, but soon realised he was a total waster, as has been proven by his career since.

Pound for pound I think that Ronnie McQuilter contributed more to the club than the shite that Stubbs signed.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Shall we resurrect the rumour that Stubbs bought Heaton so he could wangle something for his son elsewhere?

It was dubious at the time, and I'll be honest I don't remember the exact claims being made. I think the heaviest evidence against him was that Heaton was not actually a footballer, but like a part time fireman who plays a bit of amateur Sunday league and Stubbs handed over wads (St Mirren sized wads, mind, but wads none the less) of cash for the imposter.

The rumour was that Jackson, who had been acting as an agent prior to coming back, worked with Stubbs at the V9 academy where both Heaton and Cooke were picked from.

Heaton was being courted by Middlesbrough apparently, hilarious as that is. Stubbs was supposed to have been involved in a dodgy deal involving his boy going to Middlesbrough instead of Heaton to free up St. Mirren paying £75k for him. Whilst that part is a load of shite, it's not outwith the realms that Stubbs/Jackson benefitted financially from St. Mirren paying so much for Heaton given both of their associations with the V9 and the fact that the V9 were getting a cut of any transfer fees received for players.

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I agree that Stubbs signings were atrocious and he certainly destroyed the good feeling at the club at that time - however I think you underestimate the scale of the building job required - though to be fair that's with the benefit of hindsight. However, the likes of Baird, McShane, Smith and Reilly have shown over the last few years they weren't good enough to make the step up, Morgan had left and the likes of Samson, Eckersley and MacKenzie were past it. 

We probably needed to bring 7 or 8 SPL quality players in that summer, and ended up with Heaton, Kpekewa and King. 

Heaton Kpekawa and King were nowhere near the ability of Eckersley MacKenzie and the like. The fact that Stubbs even tried to justify signing these types of Sunday pub league standard of player, was just ripping the absolute piss.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The rumour was that Jackson, who had been acting as an agent prior to coming back, worked with Stubbs at the V9 academy where both Heaton and Cooke were picked from.

Heaton was being courted by Middlesbrough apparently, hilarious as that is. Stubbs was supposed to have been involved in a dodgy deal involving his boy going to Middlesbrough instead of Heaton to free up St. Mirren paying £75k for him. Whilst that part is a load of shite, it's not outwith the realms that Stubbs/Jackson benefitted financially from St. Mirren paying so much for Heaton given both of their associations with the V9 and the fact that the V9 were getting a cut of any transfer fees received for players.

Yeah, I thought it was all shaky ground, other than the damning evidence they actually paid for Heaton.

Was it Heaton who went onto twitter to ask for a lawyer?

That 4-1 game at Tynecastle that got Stubbs sacked was just horrible, the defence was honking and pre game I saw what looked like Darren Jackson grabbing Cammy Smith by the throat during the warm up after Cammy said something to him.

Christ those were darks days, even after it, Stubbs was still claiming we played ok 🤦‍♂️

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45305118

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Yeah, I thought it was all shaky ground, other than the damning evidence they actually paid for Heaton.

Was it Heaton who went onto twitter to ask for a lawyer?

That was Jeff King IIRC.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Heaton Kpekawa and King were nowhere near the ability of Eckersley MacKenzie and the like. The fact that Stubbs even tried to justify signing these types of Sunday pub league standard of player, was just ripping the absolute piss.

That he still periodically rears his head and has the gall to complain about the club having ambitions but not giving him a budget is fucking hilarious when he spunked 75 grand plus a 3 year contract on Josh Heaton.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That he still periodically rears his head and has the gall to complain about the club having ambitions but not giving him a budget is fucking hilarious when he spunked 75 grand plus a 3 year contract on Josh Heaton.

Yeah. Tony on one of the q&a sessions IIRC said that Stubbs told him he was great and would make Heaton captain and build the defence around him. Then after his first game he went back and told Tony that he wasn't going to be good enough. Madness

4 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

Yeah. Tony on one of the q&a sessions IIRC said that Stubbs told him he was great and would make Heaton captain and build the defence around him. Then after his first game he went back and told Tony that he wasn't going to be good enough. Madness

Was he talking about Heaton or himself?

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Heatons last English club play in the 9th tier. He then went to Australia to play just before the pandemic and football shut down just after he arrived. Not been seen since. He was also let go by Bradford Park Avenue for sending dodgy tweets. Guy was a rocket.

Jeff King had previous for racially abusing another player.

Cole Kpekewa went to play abroad after he left us and got banned from playing for most of the season, though I can't mind exactly why.

I do think Stubbs signings just surpassed Tommy's on their complete shiteness.

Edited by Hendo

Just found out about the Kpekewa story - he was sent off 9 minutes into his debut for breaking the leg of another player and was then banned for 6 months, didn't play for them again. He's now st Hemel Hempstead Town.

Edited by Hendo

I was in a bar with a bunch of great guys in  haymarket  bar  a certain web master stood up to a bunch of Hearts dick heads. I baked Div up what a gent a true Saint. After following Saints home and away since 1968 not sure I'm up for it.  We will see at the moment I'm pissed of with the club. Paying SMISA, 1877 Club Parking  , SMTV monthly, Season ticket.  . Not living in Paisley I have locals telling me we are the wee Celtic.  That pissed me off big time heard it so many times. Club shop, Jim with his son at Hampden.  You understand or don't. 

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I was in a bar with a bunch of great guys in  haymarket  bar  a certain web master stood up to a bunch of Hearts dick heads. I baked Div up what a gent a true Saint. After following Saints home and away since 1968 not sure I'm up for it.  We will see at the moment I'm pissed of with the club. Paying SMISA, 1877 Club Parking  , SMTV monthly, Season ticket.  . Not living in Paisley I have locals telling me we are the wee Celtic.  That pissed me off big time heard it so many times. Club shop, Jim with his son at Hampden.  You understand or don't. 

Can we make this guy use a breathalyser prior to log in?