The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lewis Morgan was a 21yo Scot, not a 25yo internationalist Irishman.

FIFY.

Good to see you taking a break from your tears and snotters about signing Ali Crawford though.

Edited by FTOF

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Kyle Lafferty, (not Kevin Kyle, fucking idiot) appears to be available.

Fucking hate that guy. He's a real p***k. Would take him in an instant.

Me, too. 🤣

Until we offload some players, I can't see us taking on the likes of Lafferty, though.

Yeah but Celtic at that time were desperate for Scots for homegrown rules, so were chucking money at any decent young Scot.
Rumour tonight is the Arabs will pay Well £250K for Watt to sign now. So us looking for decent (in the circumstances) cash to let Jamie go now is not unrealistic.

34 minutes ago, FTOF said:

FIFY.

Good to see you taking a break from your tears and snotters about signing Ali Crawford though.

Yeah my point was the Morgan price was inflated by homegrown rules affecting Celtic. Not relevant to Aberdeen signing an Irish man.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Whereas McGrath is struggling in the Premiership. 

He's in a struggling team; we all know we're dragging him down at the moment.

My prediction is Aberdeen offer 125k + Kennedy. Hearts offer 200k. McGrath joins a lower Championship side - let's say Swansea - for 225k (undisclosed) and a 15% sell on.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

My prediction is Aberdeen offer 125k + Kennedy. Hearts offer 200k. McGrath joins a lower Championship side - let's say Swansea - for 225k (undisclosed) and a 15% sell on.

Why would any team dream of giving you a sell on fee percentage with 6 months of his contract left? Madness if they did.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

And another lad leaves for buttons. Morgan, McLean, McGinn,Mallan, McGennis all brought thro the youth academy and raked in less than 1m put together in transfer fees. Fair enough I get the mcginn sell on was good but for the rest it’s utter shit when you consider some of the cash generated by our rivals over the years for lesser talent. That’ll need to change . 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Whereas McGrath is struggling in the Premiership. 

He's being bypassed in the majority of games this season as we're playing over his head which is massively frustrating. Think he's proven enough in the last two seasons that he's definitely not struggling at this level.

Anyway, I don't think there's a fringe player in that Aberdeen squad that I'd like us to settle on less cash for. 

The Hibs/Scott Allan thing made sense but someone like a now ancient McGinn or Matty Kennedy just wouldn't be an improvement for my liking. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Yeah my point was the Morgan price was inflated by homegrown rules affecting Celtic. Not relevant to Aberdeen signing an Irish man.
Irrelevant to them signing him that season though, seeing as they immediately loaned him back. He wouldn't have been part of their named squad.

3 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Ok…ok…

You win.

You can have Connor McLennan then 

I’d be surprised to say the least if we take anyone from you. Lots of comments are way off the mark. There’s genuine interest in McGrath from English championship sides. 

Got to say, I'm laughing at Dundee and St Johnstone fans desperately trying to pour water on the idea an established internationalist has some value.

The logic it seems is based on nothing more than "they don't want it to be true".

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why would any team dream of giving you a sell on fee percentage with 6 months of his contract left? Madness if they did.

It's not that unusual. We had a sell on as part of the deal that took Moult to Preston with 6 months left on his contract.

"we have secured what we believe to be a very competitive price given the limited time left on his contract, with the ability to earn more in the future, which has worked well for us in previous transfers."

Link

Its a matter of the waiting game for us now.

Whats the chances of seeing a new player coming in before we have got shot of anyone?

Another problem is we don't have a say in who McGrath goes to. He can sign his pre-contract and if the club don't want to stump up the money or any adequate players for us then he'll be here till the summer. I think we will be looking to cash in on him now.

How hard will it be to shift guys like Erwin at the start of the window too? Most clubs at this level will be looking to get rid of folk first and have replacements lined up.

Will this window be a long wait for us? Goodwin will have identified players he wants in, no doubt about it.