The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, GAD said:

It's a football forum Elvis.

A forum that Elvis promised to leave if we beat Livi 😂.

Got to trust the manager to do the right thing. For me he doesn't look like a guy thats a couple of games away from losing his job and the players are still running through brick walls for him.

Does he deserve to be criticised? Hell yes. Piss poor run of form, some very stale performances thrown in too.

Hes got to get until at least March though.

January, we need to be getting Flynn, Erwin, Dennis, McAllister and McGrath moved on.

McGrath potentially we should be cashing in on. Exceptionally talented player but it is quite obvious he is not going to be signing a new deal and he's not been firing all cylinders this season. If his head is elsewhere, then try and get money or players in exchange just now.

I'd also have no issue at all if we could get Main and/or Kiltie shifted out on loan.

Get a creative midfielder, a wide player and a striker in. Or failing that, change the system and give Jay Henderson his shot as a winger.

It’s probably been said before, but it would appear that Kyle McAllister manages a chronic injury. The way he runs at anywhere near full pace it looks as if he senses that his injury will flare up and he’ll brake down. It’s a real shame that he would appear to be hampered by this. Can only see him drop down a level if he continues to play.

Sadly he’s one of a few who need to leave in this window if we are to strengthen the squad.

It's all well and good for McGrath's agent to be hawking him around literally anywhere that'll take him in the final hours of the window, but it didn't pay off and now his player has been distracted, is playing poorly and is now arguably less likely to get the level of move that looked likely in the summer.

TL;Dr f**k agents.

12 hours ago, NorthBank said:

The back 3 isn't the problem it's the tactics and personnel that are the problem. Last season we played out from the back. This season we just hoof it up to Tanser. That being said only once this season has Jim changed the formation and that was last Wed against Sellic. He does need a Plan B to change the formation when required but appears bloody minded to stick to something that ain't working.

And McAllister has played TWICE for 90 Mins in 2.5 years (and those times were when we were desperately short of bodies) - is that value for money?

I’d say the back 3 is a key reason why we lump it so much. No width or creativity in midfield. We also play McAllister on the right when it seems be has not a great right foot and so he constantly cuts inside. 

Main is dreadful. Completely woeful signing and one of the worst strikers I’ve seen. Up there with James Marwood

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's all well and good for McGrath's agent to be hawking him around literally anywhere that'll take him in the final hours of the window, but it didn't pay off and now his player has been distracted, is playing poorly and is now arguably less likely to get the level of move that looked likely in the summer.

TL;Dr f**k agents.

With Hedges leaving the sheep I fully expect McGrath to end up there with some cash plus player deal. I think it is the likely option. He is not the player of last year sadly. 

Given we are known as a moaning faced bunch, reading the Fakes page is a real eye opener. Finished top 6 and won 2 cups last season when their manager was a messiah, now bottom of the league but within touching distance of a few teams and the guy is a clown shoes.

Jim has been given a pretty easy ride so far in comparison but our form is horrible and he needs to get it fixed in this window or he could be out by February.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

With Hedges leaving the sheep I fully expect McGrath to end up there with some cash plus player deal. I think it is the likely option. He is not the player of last year sadly. 

How do we know he’s not the player of last year? We bypass him and his midfield team mates at every opportunity. He’s had absolutely no chance this season.

49 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Given we are known as a moaning faced bunch, reading the Fakes page is a real eye opener. Finished top 6 and won 2 cups last season when their manager was a messiah, now bottom of the league but within touching distance of a few teams and the guy is a clown shoes.

Jim has been given a pretty easy ride so far in comparison but our form is horrible and he needs to get it fixed in this window or he could be out by February.

I disagree that Jim can be gone by February. Personally I'm still confident he can turn it around, and if we finish 10th I'd still say that's reasonable given our wage budget.

1 hour ago, AlbionSaint said:

I disagree that Jim can be gone by February. Personally I'm still confident he can turn it around, and if we finish 10th I'd still say that's reasonable given our wage budget.

We are 6 points off 7th and 5 points ahead of 12th. I think we are close to writing off the top 6 now, but all is not lost this season.

A few tweaks and we could be flying, glass half empty view of things is I'm expecting the Perth mob to get their house in order, i just can't see them finishing 12th.  Right now a few teams could be in a relegation scrap come March/April, i think/hope we will show up and get the results required to climb away from the mess at the botton. 

How do we know he’s not the player of last year? We bypass him and his midfield team mates at every opportunity. He’s had absolutely no chance this season.
Totally agree. We have excellent midfielders in McGrath and Ronan who are completely bypassed by long balls. Last season we played out from the back and through the midfield with good success. This year we may as well let the midfield go as Jim doesn't use them. If I was McGrath I'd want out.

McGrath is by a considerable distance our most prized asset, the fact Jim hasn’t been able to climb down from his stubborn ways about the system we play, will definitely be a major contributing factor in the second half of the season.

its fine if you build a team who are hard to beat, but to continue making the same mistakes when it’s clearly not working, is the stubborn attitude that could cost him his job. McGrath should be the focal point of the team. He’s not as the ball is lumped about from back to front where we have absolutely nothing. No out ball and in Curtis Main a player with little or no ability.

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

Callum Davidson signed Cammy MacPherson and Ali Crawford to replace Ali McCann and David Wotherspoon, and refuses to change a shape that saw us score 9 home goals last season.

How are we meant to react?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callum Davidson signed Cammy MacPherson and Ali Crawford to replace Ali McCann and David Wotherspoon, and refuses to change a shape that saw us score 9 home goals last season.

How are we meant to react?

Most clubs outside the ugly sisters would give their right back for season you guys had, a wee bit of humility at the time and a wee bit of latitude today perhaps?

Edited by Torfason

29 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Most clubs outside the ugly sisters would give their right back for season you guys had, a wee bit of humility at the time and a wee bit of latitude today perhaps?

He inherited a decent squad, he has played his part in decimating it, persists with a shite system and continually puts round pegs in square holes, his substitutions are baffling as well as being 10 minutes too late to affect the game. 10 games into a losing streak and he has yet to do something different, same formation, same outcome, same shite. He's lucky he had a decent 2 months at the start of the year or he would have been out on his arse.

Edited by tree house tam

34 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He inherited a decent squad, he has played his part in decimating it, persists with a shite system and continually puts round pegs in square holes, his substitutions are baffling as well as being 10 minutes too late to affect the game. 10 games into a losing streak and he has yet to do something different, same formation, same outcome, same shite. He's lucky he had a decent 2 months at the start of the year or he would have been out on his arse.

Most of that could be applied to Goodwin too.

Except in our 11 game winless streak, we have played some decent football at times, although not nearly often enough.