The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Jim has my full confidence. We've played really well in some games, though at home we've struggled a bit. I don't think we've had a lot of luck this season, and the January departures will no doubt have an impact on our season. But the idea that Goodwin should go is just ridiculous, IMHO.

On the subject of St Mirren buying from Ireland, which seems a long time ago now ( 😂 ), Dundalk fans are claiming you were "very interested" in Darragh Leahy from them before he signed an extension to stay for another year.

13 hours ago, Div said:

The amount Celtic paid to rent the stadium was eye watering. I don't think anyone ever had a problem with Celtic playing there, we rented Love Street to Morton for a game for fucks sake, but the badge on our stadium wall - well that was a step far too far. In my opinion.

Exactly this.

We rented out Love Street and St. Mirren Park to Morton, to Rangers for reserve games, to Rangers to provide Ajax and Juventus with training facilities in champions league matches and to the SFA for U21, Women's and Junior Cup semis and finals.

Our ground going to Celtic was never the issue, the liberties taken by Celtic and allowance by our board for the club shop front to be plastered with a Celtic Shop banner was the issue. The issue of overhauling the shop with Celtic gear would have definitely been contracted but the signage issue would have been easily sorted by a few sandwich boards around the area pointing towards the direction of the shop.  The sign going up was a total brass neck for us.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

On the subject of St Mirren buying from Ireland, which seems a long time ago now ( 😂 ), Dundalk fans are claiming you were "very interested" in Darragh Leahy from them before he signed an extension to stay for another year.

I see you have an Irish boy on trial as well.

That was my point from earlier, it's clearly a market that is looked upon more favourably now due to Brexit. Grabbing McCarthy and McGrath may be the only gems we pick up, especially if there is a lot of clubs fishing that pond.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I see you have an Irish boy on trial as well.

That was my point from earlier, it's clearly a market that is looked upon more favourably now due to Brexit. Grabbing McCarthy and McGrath may be the only gems we pick up, especially if there is a lot of clubs fishing that pond.

He's not on trial, he's signed a two and a half year deal, but the point remains, the better players in that league are more than capable of stepping into ours. Your McGraths, McCarthy's for St Mirren are all players who'd get into other squads and be first choice. I think the thing with other leagues looking, is they tend to focus on the younger players, so Scottish teams can pick up the 22-25 year olds, who still have plenty of time to play, but maybe aren't going to improve quite as much. The Irish league is clearly getting better though and that's only a good thing for us.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The sign going up was a total brass neck for us.

As I said to Div, it's not a great look, and I understand why people were pissed, but for me I just don't feel any embarrassment at all. They rented the stadium, it was theirs for that limited time. We were compensated by much needed filthy lucre and left them too it. You are right it could have been just a few signs, and that goes back to whoever wrote out the contract.

To put it into meme format, anyone that makes a jibe about it, I have this in reply..

Bcav19W.gif

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

..but the point remains...

That wasn't really the point I was making, it was more that what was a fairly untapped market is now looking far more attractive due to racists in England.

As for players capable of coming in straight away, it's very much a mixed bag, we've seen some crackers, some utter donkeys too.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

As I said to Div, it's not a great look, and I understand why people were pissed, but for me I just don't feel any embarrassment at all. They rented the stadium, it was theirs for that limited time. We were compensated by much needed filthy lucre and left them too it. You are right it could have been just a few signs, and that goes back to whoever wrote out the contract.

To put it into meme format, anyone that makes a jibe about it, I have this in reply..

The biggest shame about it all was the timing. It'd be nice to say we took that money and used it to fund a promotion challenge, but we spent it on Cameron Howieson, bagging Ian Murray, and then funded Alex Rae's summer transfer window.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

...then funded Alex Rae's summer transfer window.

Surely not?! All I've heard since he left is sly digs from him about the inherent troubles at the club & how poor the budget was. Something only he & Stubbs do, of managers sacked in the not so distant past. No surprise that they feature in every round on the excellent annual poll ran by the Cairter's Corner. 

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Bcav19W.gif

Alcohol's never the answer. It will only seem worse with a hangover.

12 hours ago, Ric said:

….They rented the stadium, it was theirs for that limited time….

Not the type to refuse to let things go but it fucking wasn’t theirs for that limited time. Or any time.  
It was ours.  They paid plenty to use our stadium but it most definitely was not theirs. 
The Club embarrassed themselves and their supporters by permitting that sign to be put up outside our club shop which they were temporarily allowed to use. 
Anyway, I’m not the type to refuse to let things go. 

11 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

It was ours.  They paid plenty to use our stadium but it most definitely was not theirs.

Perhaps I was clumsy with that description, they rented the stadium, but of course it remained ours. However, your landlord doesn't demand how the furniture is laid out when you rent a house.

As for being annoyed, I'm not telling anyone not to be annoyed, just that for me it doesn't bother me one bit. The worst I can say is "it wasn't a good look".

I very much hope this Covid outbreak is the mild, symptomless kind - for the individuals, obviously, but also for the team. Remember how long it seemed to take our entire squad to shake off the medium-term effects of 'Rona last season? Players playing shite for months before it emerged that they too had been struggling with the after-effects of Covid.

Regardless of who we have available for the Celtic and Rangers games, we know the best we can hope for is minimal GD damage. I hope the players affected get a decent rest and can shake off any illness asap.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm on a wind-down day at work so I've been kinda refreshing twitter. No sign of anything yet. 

It will be annoying if it's cancelled late on.