The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Admittedly commenting from afar but seems a bit harsh on Goodwin? 

He’s out together a bit bad side, you played some decent stuff at times today. 

We've played decent stuff in many games this season, but that counts for nothing if you're not winning games.

The cracks are beginning to show. Players dissing each other etc. Good will will only keep the manager in the job for a little longer if this keeps up. The tide is turning against Goodwin. Today was another example of how poorly we are set up as a team. Defence is missing McCarthy as the other 3 look clueless

We could bag Goodwin, then, once we realise Pep Guardiola doesn’t fancy a new challenge, appoint a jobber who’s been around the block. Then we bag him, appoint whoever is in charge at Alloa at that given moment, and go around again, and again, and, erm, again.

My opinion is the board stick with Jim, and despite his current shortcomings, we stick by him too. We just cannot keep churning through managers. Jim is still inexperienced and learning. Got to hope he can fix a few things and at least keep us up. We should be looking to do more than just avoid relegation though, but I reckon we simply have to keep faith with Jim.

Edited by pozbaird

We could bag Goodwin, then, once we realise Pep Guardiola doesn’t fancy a new challenge, appoint a jobber who’s been around the block. Then we bag him, appoint whoever is in charge at Alloa at that given moment, and go around again, and again, and, erm, again.

McInnes looms large. A good Renfrewshire boy who stays locally with several indirect ties to the club. Never been involved in St Mirren, but is (apparently) very interested in the job.
Not for me. Goody’s at the wheel.

You're not getting relegated this season so you'd be better letting Goodwin make his mistakes and learn from them, than sacking him for some short fix.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

McInnes looms large. A good Renfrewshire boy who stays locally with several indirect ties to the club. Never been involved in St Mirren, but is (apparently) very interested in the job.
Not for me. Goody’s at the wheel.

Yes , and I believe McInnes has some admirers on the Kibble side of the boardroom , which means JG will have to turn things round quickly , or it's curtains for him !

52 minutes ago, billyg said:

Yes , and I believe McInnes has some admirers on the Kibble side of the boardroom , which means JG will have to turn things round quickly , or it's curtains for him !

I’m not sure McInnes would actually want the job unless he is desperate. We don’t have a great budget so the chances of making top 4 are slim, so he would at best be mid table mediocrity, hardly likely to get him another gig down south.

I hope we stick with Jim, he is far from perfect and is underperforming but he actually cares about the club, which is more than his predecessors did.

My opinion is the board stick with Jim, and despite his current shortcomings, we stick by him too. We just cannot keep churning through managers. Jim is still inexperienced and learning. Got to hope he can fix a few things and at least keep us up. We should be looking to do more than just avoid relegation though, but I reckon we simply have to keep faith with Jim.
He's not learning tho. Same formation, mistakes and problems every single week.

We have a 3 at the back squad who can't play 3 at the back. We need to bring in a left back in January and move to a 4.

Fraser-Joe-McCarthy-LB.

We also need a right winger. McAllister has had too many chances already- he's just not good enough.

Finally, and the biggest problem, a striker who can score goals.

26 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

He's not learning tho. Same formation, mistakes and problems every single week.

We have a 3 at the back squad who can't play 3 at the back. We need to bring in a left back in January and move to a 4.

Fraser-Joe-McCarthy-LB.

We also need a right winger. McAllister has had too many chances already- he's just not good enough.

Finally, and the biggest problem, a striker who can score goals.

While I think the formation doesn’t get the best out of our forward players, it’s the strategy that sits behind it that’s concerning.

How often do we see the ball punted forward to Tanser’s head as he’s probably taller than the right back? Or how often do we see floated crosses or passes? We’re not a good team, but we have good enough players to not be losing 4-1 to Aberdeen or 0-1 to Dundee.

45 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Any talk of booting out Goodwin is lunacy.  He's here for the long term. When he does go, it'll be on to bigger and better things.  

No one is guarenteed safety. If results don't pick up and we continue to slide he may well be sacked