The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Wasn’t there no away fans at the Saintees game in August too?

We had fans there, but smaller than usual as St Mirren told everyone away fans weren't allowed, despite the fact they were selling tickets to away fans online and had a stand set aside for away fans on the day.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We had fans there, but smaller than usual as St Mirren told everyone away fans weren't allowed, despite the fact they were selling tickets to away fans online and had a stand set aside for away fans on the day.

That was a clusterfuck, tbf.

On 23/11/2021 at 15:54, AW saint said:

Wonder if we will see fresh faces in January

You'd imagine so but only if we get some guys not contributing out the door first. We have 3 strikers on the bench most weeks. Main has been useful and puts in a shift, wouldn't score in a brothel though.

I'm not hitting the panic button yet but again for most of this season we have rarely put in a decent 90 minute performance. Motherwell away easily our best, yet we only drew. Hibs away was decent but we only drew that too.

It's one of they leagues, most teams go through dips in form. Aberdeen were on a horrendous run, Hibs are having a shocker just now, Hearts are 1 win in 5 or something? Only United seem to be consistently pulling wins out the bag, mostly 1-0 but that shows how tight the league is.

Need to buck up our ideas with the busy schedule coming up. I don't think County are also bad as the table is showing.

On 23/11/2021 at 23:32, elvis said:

I was at the game on Saturday and there was definitely more than 79 Livy fans probably double that easy and if people think there there was only three thousand in the other three stands I'm sorry but that's bollox.

i would agree with that 

Big game on Wednesday, win and we put a bit of distance between us and County, lose and it becomes 7 games without a win and with the run of games coming up, Jim will be scrambling. 

Tough one to predict how we’ll line up with McCarthy and Shaughnessey both out. Thinking Tait drops into the back three and Millar plays RWB. Assuming Tanser’s out, McAllister on the other side.

Need to get Erhahon back in alongside Power too. Flynn’s been alright, but would rather him or Power rather than both in the same midfield.

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

Big game on Wednesday, win and we put a bit of distance between us and County, lose and it becomes 7 games without a win and with the run of games coming up, Jim will be scrambling. 

Must win for me.

Must win for me.

It’s not a must win of course. We could lose against County and finish in the top six. We could win and finish 12th.
Let’s save the must win game tag to post split - when that will be based on reality.
I do accept that not winning will result in a fair degree of meltdown from sections of our fan base. Which is fine.
I’ve certainly banged this drum before, but the system we are playing works, when one of the deep midfielders has legs.
Look at the winning goal away at LivI. Ethan wins the ball at the edge of the box and gives it to Ronan. Ten second later he has made lung bursting run up the pitch and he’s sticking the ball in the net and winning the game. That goal doesn’t happen if it’s Flynn and Power. Neither of those two have the legs to make that run.
If we play those two old heads together we lose or draw. If we want to win games with this system we need a deep midfielder in his 20’s who can run.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

It’s not a must win of course. We could lose against County and finish in the top six. We could win and finish 12th.
Let’s save the must win game tag to post split - when that will be based on reality.
I do accept that not winning will result in a fair degree of meltdown from sections of our fan base. Which is fine.
I’ve certainly banged this drum before, but the system we are playing works, when one of the deep midfielders has legs.
Look at the winning goal away at LivI. Ethan wins the ball at the edge of the box and gives it to Ronan. Ten second later he has made lung bursting run up the pitch and he’s sticking the ball in the net and winning the game. That goal doesn’t happen if it’s Flynn and Power. Neither of those two have the legs to make that run.
If we play those two old heads together we lose or draw. If we want to win games with this system we need a deep midfielder in his 20’s who can run.

We've had many games recently that if we'd taken advantage of our play, we would have been in a very comfortable place right now. Unfortunately, last season's trait of being unable to finish teams off when we have clearly been the better team is again costing us dearly. 

Obviously in the grand scale of things , the County game isn't a must win game- but I see it as a pivotal game.  Win, and we can look upwards again- lose,  and its going to be a long winter,  especially with our run of games coming up in December.