The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

34 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Things are still not back to normal, though. I think a lot of folk are reluctant to return to grounds. Does yesterday's attendance include season ticket holders, as I thought you'd sold more than 3,000? Do you have figures for the livestream? 

On a cold day, how many folk would rather stay at home and watch it on TV? 

I could see TV being an attractive option if it wasn't for the unpredictable streaming quality and the 2 minute delay which means your twitter feed tells you what's happened before you see it.

I could see TV being an attractive option if it wasn't for the unpredictable streaming quality and the 2 minute delay which means your twitter feed tells you what's happened before you see it.
Anyone who gives a f**k about twitter could shut it down for 2 hours shirley?

16 hours ago, aldo_j said:

It all comes down to the product and the product isn’t great at the moment. We aren’t a great side to watch and you knew before kickoff how the game would pan out.

Jim needs to find another gear, or a plan B. The wingback system with only one wingback is fucking guff, but he’s absolutely wedded to it now and it strangling us this season - the stats are telling. As was discussed Friday, Millar in the team and we win some games. He drops out and we don’t. 

To an extent it does your right. My takings were always down on the build up to Christmas would not be surprised if outgoings and income is affected.  Prices are rising that's a fact. Saying that we are poorly supported given the population in the local area.  Take my hat off to Motherwell.  Not charging for this season , season tickets but asking season ticket holders to buy a season ticket for unemployed and low salary locals. Fan owned club doing the right thing.  Have missed a good few games now my next game should be Hibs at home in December.  Being honest I don't miss the football it's an expensive day out for a below par product and yes I have a season ticket.  Get the team wining crowds will come back so in a way your right just don't forget the cost of living and the drain financially that Christmas brings.  

It's a low attendance, but not unsurprising as we're not exactly in good form or playing attractive football at all. It also wasn't that attractive a fixture. 

I always think attendances tend to dip a bit towards Christmas as other competing things tend to pick up- I had a work night out on Saturday and missed the game. 

Morning folks, just flung a Saints top up on eBay, was a very limited edition 3rd shirt from 2010/11, signed by the main man as well! Seen articles saying it was to be worn versus Killie, but I've pics here of it being worn against Ayr? Can anyone clear that one up?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224705997771

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 21/11/2021 at 04:49, Torfason said:

Just saw the crowd for the game……3,016.

I know Livy only brought 79 fans but our home crowds are shocking right now, struggling to see how you market our league beyond the arse cheeks, to improve it.

Games like today don’t help but that’s more like our Championship crowds.

Season Competition Matches sold out Spectators Average  
21/22 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  7 0 23,888 3,413
20/21 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 0 0
19/20 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  15 0 80,647 5,376
18/19 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 101,650 5,350
17/18 Scottish Championship  Scottish Championship  18 0 80,061 4,448
16/17 Scottish Championship  Scottish Championship  18 0 64,745 3,597
15/16 Scottish Championship  Scottish Championship  18 0 63,876 3,549
14/15 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  20 0 72,237 3,612
13/14 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 85,704 4,511
12/13 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 83,394 4,389
11/12 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 85,365 4,493
10/11 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 84,545 4,450
09/10 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 83,859 4,414
08/09 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 102,814 5,411
07/08 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  19 0 86,406 4,548
06/07 Scottish Premiership  Scottish Premiership  17 0 91,477 5,381

I’m not saying for a minute we are a huge factor but over the last 10 years or so we’ve brought a big away support through most times and I’m guessing the crowds for St Mirren vs Kilmarnock are over 5000 every time. So our relegation may be having a slight impact on your average attendances.

As others have said you need to take the PPV into account which wasn’t an option before and also how many people are isolating week on week or maybe due to age/health conditions feel a bit too vulnerable to go. For some of the others I suppose it’s just an easy habit to fall out of and some will just be spending their Saturdays now doing other things and may be lost for a while.

Clubs like ours can’t just magic new fans up of course so you maybe shouldn’t be too harsh in your view of the averages dropping.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m not saying for a minute we are a huge factor but over the last 10 years or so we’ve brought a big away support through most times and I’m guessing the crowds for St Mirren vs Kilmarnock are over 5000 every time. So our relegation may be having a slight impact on your average attendances.

As others have said you need to take the PPV into account which wasn’t an option before and also how many people are isolating week on week or maybe due to age/health conditions feel a bit too vulnerable to go. For some of the others I suppose it’s just an easy habit to fall out of and some will just be spending their Saturdays now doing other things and may be lost for a while.

Clubs like ours can’t just magic new fans up of course so you maybe shouldn’t be too harsh in your view of the averages dropping.

Decent post, and good points. Obviously the Killie away support won't hugely affect the average over a season, but it's definitely a factor, especially when you see the crowd Livi brought through at the weekend. 

What's interesting to me is the concept of that apathy that comes with being relatively comfortable in the league. Our support, especially the W7 boys, were really galvanized by our flirt with relegation to League One. We had that escape, then a title win, then another mad narrow escape. The adversity bonded the club with the fans. Now we're just a bit turgid and it feels like there's less riding on games. 

Just a thought. I would be interested to see how your season this year impacts your support, especially as your actually in more of a title race than most of us expected. Coming out on top in a close league could do wonders for your crowds.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Decent post, and good points. Obviously the Killie away support won't hugely affect the average over a season, but it's definitely a factor, especially when you see the crowd Livi brought through at the weekend. 

What's interesting to me is the concept of that apathy that comes with being relatively comfortable in the league. Our support, especially the W7 boys, were really galvanized by our flirt with relegation to League One. We had that escape, then a title win, then another mad narrow escape. The adversity bonded the club with the fans. Now we're just a bit turgid and it feels like there's less riding on games. 

Just a thought. I would be interested to see how your season this year impacts your support, especially as your actually in more of a title race than most of us expected. Coming out on top in a close league could do wonders for your crowds.

There's definitely something in what you say. The excitement is the drug. I'm not sure anything will ever compare to the 3-2 game at Fir Park in 2007.

I also think that the season we nearly went down to league one, the crowds were decent because we got rid of Rae early doors and people could see Jack Ross was making progress and bringing in young players. Had they stuck with Rae for a few more months you might have seen the crowds slip a bit.

Edit: likewise with Stubbs/Kearney. 

Edited by houston_bud

I assumed the lower average this season would be down to the first season post-Covid.

Not just because of people not going to their own home games, but less likely to travel.

Season before Covid me and my dad (who's 85) went to maybe 10 away games, and all the home games.

Been to no away games this season, and missed quite a few home games too.

Mind you, if the other SPFL clubs aren't noticing a drop my theory is nonsense!

I think Saturday was a bit of a blip.

Our average attendances this season is 3,924 over 7 home games. One of those games at the start of the season against Hearts had no away support and only 1000(?) home supporters due to Covid. We have played Sevco at Home, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd with reasonable away supports however the other teams brought very little in the Away support (supposedly only 79 Livi fans there on Saturday). Yes Covid is still with us and I know has limited a few folk attending and PPV may be having an impact but I do not think there is a substantial decline.

I think Saturday was a bit of a blip.
Our average attendances this season is 3,924 over 7 home games. One of those games at the start of the season against Hearts had no away support and only 1000(?) home supporters due to Covid. We have played Sevco at Home, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd with reasonable away supports however the other teams brought very little in the Away support (supposedly only 79 Livi fans there on Saturday). Yes Covid is still with us and I know has limited a few folk attending and PPV may be having an impact but I do not think there is a substantial decline.

Wasn’t there no away fans at the Saintees game in August too?
That and the Hearts games are clearly skewing the averages.
We have a core home support of around 3000 and that’s been pretty static for years. Another couple of thousand come for big games and then we have another 10,000 or so who will only show up for cup finals etc.
I remember being at Love St in the 90’s with gates of under 2000. Come a long way since those dark days!