The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Agreed, although I'd say that warrants more than a 6/10.

Yep it’s our best start to a top flight season since the 80’s. We are in seventh and on 14 points.
For comparison after 11 games last year we had eight points and were in 11th - although we did have the COVID games in hand.
2011 was our second best start when we had 13 points after 11 games.
We certainly aren’t safe yet. Like all the mid table teams, we are a bad run away from being dragged into the dog fight. But Jim has turned us into a solid unit who don’t lose many games - just three defeats from 16 competitive matches - and all against bigger clubs with much bigger budgets.
For all the talk earlier this season about ‘not seeing where the goals will come from’ we have scored 12 goals in the last six games.
There’s cause to be cautiously optimistic.

27 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Agreed, although I'd say that warrants more than a 6/10.

Yeah, fair. Maybe a 6.5... ;) 

Brophy is starting to look like a bit of a revelation and easily our best striker since Thommo. Totally different type of player, of course. All the chat about him being a bit hit-and-hope totally did a mis-service to his all round game. What the Killie fans did say was that he needed the right people in and around him to get the best out of him. If Main isn't quite that guy*, Ronan and/or McGrath clearly are.

* Main has a big role to play this season, I'm convinced of it. I like the big guy.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

We certainly aren’t safe yet. Like all the mid table teams, we are a bad run away from being dragged into the dog fight. 

Yep. I believe (but haven't checked) that we're on precisely the same points that Killie were after the first round last season. But we're decent; they were shite, so it'll be fine. County's result last night suggests it could be as cutthroat as ever down there. I expect Dundee to act on McPake sooner rather than later, but they've got a potentially good squad that the right manager could do decent work with. We're definitely better off out of the stramash. 

I have to disagree about the Dundee squad. Its utter dug shit. No pace, past it superstars and possibly the worst set of defenders ever to grace the top flight. They should comfortably finish in a severely detached last place unless they get a new manager and 7 or 8 decent players in the transfer window, which is highly unlikely as I can't see Nelms firing the hapless James any time soon.

We really ought to smash them on Saturday [emoji854]

I just love the spirit of the teams that Goodwin puts out. I saw we'd gone 2 down but I still thought we could well get something out of the game. That was despite the fact that we were away from home against a decent side with, arguably,  our best player missing. And so it came to pass. Can't think of many times over the years when I've had so much faith in a St Mirren side! 

Edited by Buttocks Brown

10 hours ago, Lex said:

Yep it’s our best start to a top flight season since the 80’s. We are in seventh and on 14 points.
For comparison after 11 games last year we had eight points and were in 11th - although we did have the COVID games in hand.
2011 was our second best start when we had 13 points after 11 games.
We certainly aren’t safe yet. Like all the mid table teams, we are a bad run away from being dragged into the dog fight. But Jim has turned us into a solid unit who don’t lose many games - just three defeats from 16 competitive matches - and all against bigger clubs with much bigger budgets.
For all the talk earlier this season about ‘not seeing where the goals will come from’ we have scored 12 goals in the last six games.
There’s cause to be cautiously optimistic.

Would need to check but fairly sure we had 14 points after the first round of games in 2006/07. Definitely had four wins as we won our opening two matches and beat the Edinburgh clubs. Would imagine there were a few draws too given Gus was in charge.

Cray it's taken us this long to match how we did in our first season up!

Edited by Stu

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Would need to check but fairly sure we had 14 points after the first round of games in 2006/07. Definitely had four wins as we won our opening two matches and beat the Edinburgh clubs. Would imagine there were a few draws too given Gus was in charge.

Cray it's taken us this long to match how we did in our first season up!

You are right, 4 wins, 2 draws and 5 defeats after 11 games that season. We then had a mid season slump that pulled us into the relegation battle, I think at one point we only won once in about 12 or 13 games, but did draw a few.

This team is much better than that one though, I think our current 14 points is less than we should have based on performances, only really let ourself down at Parkhead.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Some laugh the amount of folk actually falling for that Joe Boden photo.

No excuses, fucking embarrassed with myself.

I'm just surprised ZingaliMan hasn’t posted it on here given the amount of shite he falls for.

Edited by Stu

8 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Any good pubs around the ground that will show the 12:30 kick off? Got here early and about half a mile from the ground

The Bankhouse in Gilmour Street, just along from the station, will probably show it.

It will be full of Saints fans though.

There aren't any pubs much closer.

The Court bar is nearer in St.James' Street, but no idea whether it's got SKY.

The only one that I definitely know will have it is The Bull Inn in New Street, which is in the centre about 5 minutes away from Gilmour Street.

Both will have Saints fans in it.

Avoid O'Connor's. Will be full of green bigots.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The Bankhouse in Gilmour Street, just along from the station, will probably show it.

The only one that I definitely know will have it is The Bull Inn in New Street, which is in the centre about 5 minutes away from Gilmour Street.

Think the Court is still shut. 

Big game from England is on BT, Sky showing a championship game. 

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I have seen many an opposition fan in the Bull and I've never seen any trouble. Sure, it's a Saints pub, and you'll get some banter if you end up coming in with different colours on, but overall I've always assumed the Bull is a very safe place for both sets of fans to have a pre/post match drink.

10 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Think the Court is still shut. 

Big game from England is on BT, Sky showing a championship game. 

I'll not be writing any guide books to Paisley any time soon.:lol:

If they've got SKY, they'll have BT sports.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I have seen many an opposition fan in the Bull and I've never seen any trouble. Sure, it's a Saints pub, and you'll get some banter if you end up coming in with different colours on, but overall I've always assumed the Bull is a very safe place for both sets of fans to have a pre/post match drink.

It is.

Just pointed it out in case the poster wanted to avoid opposition fans.

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not bothered about St Mirren fans. I’m sure you’re all good c***s.

Thank You.