The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, AJF said:

I believe the only reason you would highlight those separate incidents in the context of this discussion is an attempt to divert attention from or mitigate the Needham incident. That's what I'd consider to be whataboutery. I'm often guilty of it myself.

The Needham incident that I have commented on several times and agreed his comments were foolish, that he should have deleted them and offered up an apology? If I'm trying to divert attention away from the incident I'm doing a dreadful job.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

The Needham incident that I have commented on several times and agreed his comments were foolish, that he should have deleted them and offered up an apology? If I'm trying to divert attention away from the incident I'm doing a dreadful job.

"divert attention from OR mitigate the Needham incident".

If that's not the case, I've no idea what other reason you would have to bring up completely separate incidents in this discussion.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Again, not sure how you can claim I am mitigating his actions when I have, and I repeat, "agreed his comments were foolish, that he should have deleted them and offered up an apology".

Because I can see no other logical reason for you to bring up separate incidents if that wasn't the case.

It's not a big issue, and I feel like we are going down the rabbit hole a bit here so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Because I can see no other logical reason for you to bring up separate incidents if that wasn't the case.

Come on AJF, you do know this, the reason to bring up what you call "celebrating" (while others may have a less savoury viewpoint of their actions) is down to it being the subject Needham was tweeting about, and the reason to mention Graham's contribution to the debate as it is an example of a Rangers staff member making 'sectarian' comments.

Mitigation is when you blame something else for your actions, "Your honour, my client has been under considerable stress recently and was unaware of the impact of their comments". Nobody, let alone Needham, is claiming that.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's not a big issue, and I feel like we are going down the rabbit hole a bit here so I'll leave it at that.

Fair enough.

Ultimately, and I'm not sure if I've said this already, but I very much doubt this is a club endorsed action. I could be wrong but for me this looks like outraged fans on twitter that have pushed the issue. If that is the case then we know only too well that the same fanbase is by no means innocent of posting similar, and considerably worse, content. That's not dismissing Needham's comments, that suggesting the outraged are only making a rod for their own backs.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I would think it’s very predictable that John Needham will be forced to resign. The total hypocrisy of Scottish football is that a club like Rangers funded and supported by sectarian bigots will push for the resignation. I do wonder if St Mirren will have the balls to call them out for all the damage to seats and graffiti done at the ground on Sunday.

I thought that was was established as automatic a while back.

4 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Any news on Jamie McGrath?

I think we can rule out, "it's just a slight knock" as you would have expected the club to say that already.

The fact we haven't heard anything suggests there is inflammation (or similar) that needs to go down before they can make any judgement. It can't be because he hasn't had a scan/seen the doctor, as I'd have expected that to have happened on Sunday afternoon, and we're 2 days later now.

IMG_7001.thumb.jpg.5f3c90ff40871e53617c1b43ee6e45d5.jpg

McGrath injury not as bad as feared it seemed, should be back after international break. Same post confirms Ethan is out for tomorrow and Tanser faces a late fitness test. Both have hamstring issues.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

McGrath injury not as bad as feared it seemed, should be back after international break. Same post confirms Ethan is out for tomorrow and Tanser faces a late fitness test. Both have hamstring issues.

Doesn't sound as bad as it could have been. Blow to lose potentially 3 of our best players for tomorrow night, but it's a long season.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

Did Ethan not go off with a hamstring issue in a game a couple weeks ago? Must be slightly more persistent than they thought.

Great news (relatively speaking) about McGrath, though. 

Overall I'd say we have every reason to be quite happy with our first round of fixtures. We were robbed of a couple of perfectly fine goals in successive games earlier on, so when Jim talks about us being four points shy of where we deserve to be, that's probably what he's getting at. In all honesty, if we'd won those two games and were sitting on 18 points I'd be saying we're basically safe now; as it is, based on performances, personnel and levels of organisation, I'd say we're firmly on for mid table.

The obvious issues with our personnel and system in the opening few games have been resolved, partly with the arrival of Ronan and Millar, and partly with the slight tactical switch. It feels rough on the likes of Main, and perhaps even Dennis who now looks a million miles away from getting a game, but perhaps that's justice for his utter fuckwittery against Hearts.

Only Celtic have turned us over and actually looked streets ahead of us, and I'd argue that they were going to ruin us that day regardless of Power's red card. The only other defeats were to undefeated Hearts and the champions.

I'd give us a solid 6/10 after 11 games. If we emerge from the next 11 having only lost a further three games I'll be delighted, but we'll have Dundee, County, Motherwell and Livi at home, as well as an unconvincing Hibs side, so should be targeting at least four, possibly five, wins from the next round. We desperately need to get this 'Can't Beat a Jack Ross Team' monkey off our backs, so a home win vs Hibs would be wonderful, thanks.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Overall I'd say we have every reason to be quite happy with our first round of fixtures. We were robbed of a couple of perfectly fine goals in successive games earlier on, so when Jim talks about us being four points shy of where we deserve to be, that's probably what he's getting at. In all honesty, if we'd won those two games and were sitting on 18 points I'd be saying we're basically safe now; as it is, based on performances, personnel and levels of organisation, I'd say we're firmly on for mid table.

The obvious issues with our personnel and system in the opening few games have been resolved, partly with the arrival of Ronan and Millar, and partly with the slight tactical switch. It feels rough on the likes of Main, and perhaps even Dennis who now looks a million miles away from getting a game, but perhaps that's justice for his utter fuckwittery against Hearts.

Only Celtic have turned us over and actually looked streets ahead of us, and I'd argue that they were going to ruin us that day regardless of Power's red card. The only other defeats were to undefeated Hearts and the champions.

I'd give us a solid 6/10 after 11 games. If we emerge from the next 11 having only lost a further three games I'll be delighted, but we'll have Dundee, County, Motherwell and Livi at home, as well as an unconvincing Hibs side, so should be targeting at least four, possibly five, wins from the next round. We desperately need to get this 'Can't Beat a Jack Ross Team' monkey off our backs, so a home win vs Hibs would be wonderful, thanks.

Agreed, although I'd say that warrants more than a 6/10.