The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

36 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I would think it’s very predictable that John Needham will be forced to resign. The total hypocrisy of Scottish football is that a club like Rangers funded and supported by sectarian bigots will push for the resignation. I do wonder if St Mirren will have the balls to call them out for all the damage to seats and graffiti done at the ground on Sunday.

Reasonably sure the club will bill the 2012 Franchise for stadium damage. Fitzy should also tell the fcukers they’re only getting one away stand next time too. Grow a pair Tony.

In regard to Needham, we can point all we like at things the two incarnations of the club playing out of Ibrox get up to, either the club(s) or fans, but it doesn’t matter here. Pointing at them doesn’t excuse our own house being out of order. We all accuse the ‘OF’ fans of playing the ‘but look at them’ card. We should be better than that.

I suggested Needham and departed Las Vegas Raiders coach Jon Gruden should have went for a beer together this week. Even if you disregard what both Gruden and Needham said, (and you shouldn’t), in the name of actual fcuk, how stupid can two men in their position be? Everything ‘dodgy’ that people in the public eye put out in e-mails, tweets, or social media posts is jumped upon. If an unheard of youth player makes a dodgy tweet these days, it’s pounced upon. Journalists were tapping celebrities phones, the royal family had correspondence hacked. Did Needham not even think ‘shit…better delete my browsing history’ - I paraphrase. I was less than impressed with him and the club statements surrounding the ‘1039 fans in our stadium, ticket ballot shite’ period, and this takes the biscuit IMHO. At the very least, a man who had held the position in business he had, should fcuking well know you can’t put shite like that out in the public domain. Not these days. Complete fcuking idiot IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

If we don't do anything about this are we not saying it's OK for Rangers fans to use sectarian language ? 

No. I don't think St Mirren commenting on the habits of Rangers fans will do anything, I don't think their beloved Queen saying she disapproves of it will change the habit of a lifetime. In any case, we need to get our own house in order and do it internally rather than publicly through the papers/media. 

I don't think there is any other option but for Mr Needham to resign from his position. 

24 minutes ago, mizfit said:

*opens app on tapatalk*

*clicks on pie and Bovril*

*clicks on Premier ship forum*

Presented with said photo completely out of context.

Cheers lads. Spat my coffee out. emoji23.png

Beats seeing that fucking pic of Alan Main.

27 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

If we don't do anything about this are we not saying it's OK for Rangers fans to use sectarian language ? It was used as a wind up football banter if you like. Given his position and the fact he was on the board during the time of his squinty bridge comment really should have had alarm bells ringing.  Bottom line for me is the club is being dragged through the mud by a guy who should know better. 

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Failure to act on this completely undermines any future position we may wish to take on sectarianism.

Obviously, the hypocrisy from the mock-outraged, handbag-clutching Sevco knackers on Twitter is there for all to see, but whataboutery really must be avoided.

He really should have had the sense to wipe his Twitter account and start from scratch when he became chairman.

That said, the joke about the bridge is basically harmless in and of itself, poor taste or not. It's his use of the H word that will land him in hot water.

1 minute ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

What did he actually say ?

In some tweets, he used the H word. In another, he joked about the Squinty Bridge collapsing while it was full of Rangers fans. He also referred to Rangers as Sevco.

I only see one of the above as being truly problematic.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Given this morning's news I expect the papers to be focusing elsewhere for a few days. Good time to quietly sort this out internally.

* checks news *

Aye, well that will be wall to wall eye-bleeding whataboutery and nonsense for the next week at least.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

In some tweets, he used the H word. In another, he joked about the Squinty Bridge collapsing while it was full of Rangers fans. He also referred to Rangers as Sevco.

I only see one of the above as being truly problematic.

Yeah, you're asking for a pile on if you use the H word, regardless if you think it's sectarian or not.

No surprise to see world football's ultimate wee guys crying over the other stuff though.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Soon it'll all just be water under the bridge.

Now, really, that's just offensive to Rangers once again. You know only too well about the "political prisoners" cruelly snatched by Wee Nic's totalitarian shock troops for singing "a traditional club song" under a bridge. Shame on you! :angry:

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

I think it’s going to be difficult for Needham to come out of this still in role given the Kibble have supposedly made a statement about it.

He’s been a bit stupid - you’d think people would clean their social media these days before going into a role like that.

If people were half sensible they wouldn't need to clean their social media in the first place.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

If people were half sensible they wouldn't need to clean their social media in the first place.

...use Twitter, Facebook, Insta or other social media platforms that are there specifically to spread fake news and steal your personal data.

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

* checks news *

Aye, well that will be wall to wall eye-bleeding whataboutery and nonsense for the next week at least.

What on earth are you talking about? You've been the biggest culprit of whataboutery throughout this whole debate.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

What on earth are you talking about? You've been the biggest culprit of whataboutery throughout this whole debate.

You accused me of whataboutery for pointing out one of your staff had made very questionable sectarian comments, when discussing the questionable sectarian comments made by Needham.

That's not whataboutery, it's called being held equally as accountable.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

You accused me of whataboutery for pointing out one of your staff had made very questionable sectarian comments, when discussing the questionable sectarian comments made by Needham.

That's not whataboutery, it's called being held equally as accountable.

And you've since went on to bring up the behaviour of Rangers fans when celebrating our title win, called for Rangers to condemn twitter posts by the fans and then referenced The Famine Song incident... 4 instances in total of you trying to divert focus onto issues surrounding Rangers. But that's not whataboutery?

Additionally, you then went on to claim there would be "wall to wall eye-bleeding whataboutery" after a poster mentioned that due to the news of Walter Smith passing then there would be an opportunity to deal with the matter quietly. I just don't understand your logic.

Edited by AJF

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

And you've since went on to bring up the behaviour of Rangers fans when celebrating our title win, called for Rangers to condemn twitter posts by the fans and then referenced The Famine Song incident... 4 instances in total of you trying to divert focus onto issues surrounding Rangers. But that's not whataboutery?

So just to be clear, me mentioning the very subject Needham has been pulled up about is, to you, somehow whataboutery?

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

Additionally, you then went on to claim there would be "wall to wall eye-bleeding whataboutery" after a poster mentioned that due to the news of Walter Smith passing then there would be an opportunity to deal with the matter quietly. I just don't understand your logic.

The logic here is we will have a sanitised history of Smith, it's not a Rangers thing, it's a media thing.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

So just to be clear, me mentioning the very subject Needham has been pulled up about is, to you, somehow whataboutery?

The logic here is we will have a sanitised history of Smith, it's not a Rangers thing, it's a media thing.

I believe the only reason you would highlight those separate incidents in the context of this discussion is an attempt to divert attention from or mitigate the Needham incident. That's what I'd consider to be whataboutery. I'm often guilty of it myself.