The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I was pleased with today. The quality Rangers have us always going to make these games tough, but seeing us actually set about them at the start was refreshing after so many meek non-performances against the cheeks in recent years. 

TBH, the loss of the three points pales next to the injury for McGrath. I really hope our excellent physios can work their magic on him and that he's not out for more than a few weeks, tops.

That aside, we can confidently call ourselves a half-decent team. I hope the 3-6-1 suits Kiltie as much as it seems to suit pretty much everyone else (apart from Main).

I've got no update on McGrath, like everyone else I hope the injury isn't too bad. However I did write this almost a week ago when the story about his "bumper contract" made it to the press.

On 15/10/2021 at 09:54, Ric said:

I think Goodwin is saying the right things, even though I don't think we have a cat's chance in hell of him signing an extension. Maybe, perhaps maybe, if he got an injury and we rolled it over for a year until he was fit - but obviously none of us would want that.

Let's hope that wasn't prophetic.

McGrath looked out of sorts the whole game. I think the games he played for RoI had an impact on his match sharpness the last two games. 

Hopefully it’s not a serious injury. Wish him well in his recovery. 

Stephen Kenny could have a very capable replacement in Connor Ronan.

Raman knows the game, that's why he's put 'inappropriate' in quotes.

It will set an interesting precedent, considering none of what Needham said was illegal. Are the SFA planning to use "thought crime" to underpin this investigation?

As for Rangers, they are like toddlers, all the screaming and emptying of the pram at the slightest thing.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

It will set an interesting precedent, considering none of what Needham said was illegal. Are the SFA planning to use "thought crime" to underpin this investigation?

As for Rangers, they are like toddlers, all the screaming and emptying of the pram at the slightest thing.

Reading the article, it speculates that Needham may fall foul of the following rule:

“A recognised football body, club, official, team official, other member of team staff, player, match official or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall, at all times, act in the best interests of Association Football.

“Furthermore such person or body shall not act in any manner which is improper or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.

I don't think anyone has suggested what he said is illegal, just ill-advised.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

It was tweeted a long time ago before he became chairman.  At least he has not been in jail for drugs.  Appoliges should make this nonsense go away. 

No it’s not. It’s because it’s an allegation. Just like Leigh Griffiths allegedly kicked a flare into the crowd - it was on video, but journos can’t be seen to prejudice the investigation.

8 minutes ago, codfish said:

No it’s not. It’s because it’s an allegation. Just like Leigh Griffiths allegedly kicked a flare into the crowd - it was on video, but journos can’t be seen to prejudice the investigation.

That's not really the case, if it was he should have put alleged inappropriate without quotes, the fact he uses quotes is either him making a grammatical error or he knows it's all pish.

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

Reading the article, it speculates that Needham may fall foul of the following rule:

“A recognised football body, club, official, team official, other member of team staff, player, match official or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall, at all times, act in the best interests of Association Football.

“Furthermore such person or body shall not act in any manner which is improper or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.

I don't think anyone has suggested what he said is illegal, just ill-advised.

Sure, so where were the SFA during these "inappropriate" comments...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/footage-emerges-rangers-new-pr-21705124

None of which, again, is illegal, but it's definitely along the same lines. As I say, it's a very dangerous precedent, and one that will in the end come back to bite Rangers far harder than it will any club.

Edited by Ric

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's not really the case, if it was he should have put alleged inappropriate without quotes, the fact he uses quotes is either him making a grammatical error or he knows it's all pish.

Sure, so where were the SFA during these "inappropriate" comments...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/footage-emerges-rangers-new-pr-21705124

None of which, again, is illegal, but it's definitely along the same lines. As I say, it's a very dangerous precedent, and one that will in the end come back to bite Rangers far harder than it will any club.

I'll engage in your whataboutery for a second: I'd imagine there was no investigation because those comments were made prior to him becoming employed at Rangers?

At least one the tweets by Needham were made while he was an active board member at St Mirren. That may explain the different approaches.

Seen the tweets he sent out on reddit. Ridiculously stupid, especially the ones involving the only fans Rangers fan.

Reckon he'll be more embarrassed than the club, but continues our poor social media presence. Still you think someone would be thinking about prior social media posts when someone joins the board. 

30 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'll engage in your whataboutery for a second: I'd imagine there was no investigation because those comments were made prior to him becoming employed at Rangers?

At least one the tweets by Needham were made while he was an active board member at St Mirren. That may explain the different approaches.

All that shows this is this is a risky precedent being set. I think this is the first time I've seen our club involved in something like this, Rangers on the other hand have a long history of "pushing the envelope". I hope the SFA is ready for numerous similar claims.

If you want my honest opinion? The comments were foolish by Needham, but warranting an investigation? No, this is clearly some blue tinged Helen Lovejoys involved here.

Edited by Ric

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

All that shows is how bad a precedent this is.

If you want my honest opinion? The comments were foolish by Needham, but warranting an investigation? No, this is clearly some blue tinged Helen Lovejoys involved here.

I don't know if it's Lovejoyism more of an attempt to Muddy the Waters and say it's a general problem and we're no worse than any other team. :rolleyes:

Have to agree with @gc_smfc above it's inevitable these days that ill advised on-line comments will come back to bite you, and in this case the club, on the arse.

Edited by btb

7 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

Seen the tweets he sent out on reddit. Ridiculously stupid, especially the ones involving the only fans Rangers fan.

Reckon he'll be more embarrassed than the club, but continues our poor social media presence. Still you think someone would be thinking about prior social media posts when someone joins the board

With the recent David Edgar/Daily record historical tweet spat and Janet Godley copping a lot of flak for her tweets, you'd think that social media accounts would have been checked/cleared.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

All that shows is how bad a precedent this is.

The comments aren't acceptable for a club chairman and if the boot was on the other foot you'd be screaming for the SFA to get involved. 

Granted he’s only been in the door 2
Minutes but he has done nothing to give me any confidence that he will be a good leader at the
Club. The beginning of his reign has been nothing short of shambolic, regardless of how much of it was inherited.

On the tweet front - He must have known in May when he posted his latest tweet that he would likely be in an official position with the club in some capacity so beyond stupid the fact he’s felt the need to post that.

8 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Granted he’s only been in the door 2
Minutes but he has done nothing to give me any confidence that he will be a good leader at the
Club. The beginning of his reign has been nothing short of shambolic, regardless of how much of it was inherited.

On the tweet front - He must have known in May when he posted his latest tweet that he would likely be in an official position with the club in some capacity so beyond stupid the fact he’s felt the need to post that.

According to this he was a Director in September 2020. https://www.smisa.net/news-archive/5-general-smisa-news/297-john-needham-appointed-new-st-mirren-director

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

All that shows this is this is a risky precedent being set. I think this is the first time I've seen our club involved in something like this, Rangers on the other hand have a long history of "pushing the envelope". I hope the SFA is ready for numerous similar claims.

I think it depends on the situation. The rule is in place to presumably avoid unsavoury instances such as this.

Is it really much of a dangerous precedent to set for a senior club official to get a slap on the wrist for tweeting that they hoped a bridge collapsed under opposition fans?

6 hours ago, bennett said:

... and if the boot was on the other foot you'd be screaming for the SFA to get involved. 

Remind me to check that out when our fans rampage a city, causing tens of thousands of pounds of damage, fighting with the police and generally making the centre of Glasgow a no-go zone for almost a day. Not forgetting the detritus left behind, or the fact they did this in the middle of a fucking pandemic. So, yeah, when a Rangers employee tweets out comments regarding my fanbase's actions, we'll see whether I'll be "screaming" or not.

Until then, then it has to be said your comment is as much whataboutery as AJF was accusing me of earlier.

Edited by Ric